Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a workbench

• 16-10-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Hey guys im building a workbench, its going to be approx 10ft by 5 ft.
    its going to need to support weights of up to 100-150kg. just wondering what would be the best top for this? mdf, ply? also how many legs and what sort of distance should they be spaced? thanks Phil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Google is your friend for simple/ easy to follow plans - try buildeazy or popularmechanics for good free plans. I built one last year based on free plans I found on one of these sites (can't remember which site it was, but with a bit of searching you'll find one to suit). While I didn't go as big as you are planning - mine was 6ft X 3ft, I used four 4x4's I has left over from a previous project for the legs, used 2x4's for a frame for the top to sit on and more 2x4's for crossbraces. I had a sheet of 19mm MDF (more left overs!!) that I used for the top - its a very sturdy job and has served me well. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Just a quick suggestion, if you can settle for 8x4 instead of 10x5 it would make the build much easier as 8x4 is the standard size for plywood and MDF sheets.

I built one last year and made it 8x2, just ripped one sheet of MDF down the middle. Two layers of 18mm MDF glued together and then a layer of hardboard sitting on top. If need be I can then replace the hardboard when it's worn.

For some ideas check out www.lumberjocks.com or free plans on www.woodworkersworkshop.com

Advertisement