Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post root canal problems.

• 16-10-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

I posted this thread a couple of months ago.

I had a root canal done on my front tooth in July after I had an accident and banged my front teeth which caused the nerve to die.

In the last couple of weeks or so I've noticed a bit of greying in the top corner of the tooth I had done. Should this be happening? I went to a reputable dentist, didn't scrimp whatsoever so I'm disappointed to see this happening.

I've asked friends and family if they can notice it and they all say they can't really see it, but I can see it, definitely. When I had the Root Canal done my dentist said that I may need some bleaching done at the end but it turns out that I didn't. But now this happened?

I was under the impression that once the root was removed then there wouldn't be any colour change?

Should I go back to the dentist?

Also, when I had the root canal done originally it was an all inclusive package, if I had to have more work/bleaching done would you reckon that would be included in what I've paid already?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its hard to know, best go back to the dentist. There are so many variable involved that advice will be pretty random. Yes additional fees may apply, depends on your problem really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP unfortunately trauma can sometimes lead to nerve necrosis in a tooth. If left in situ, the dead nerve will release toxins and an abcess will result with associated pain. Anyone who has experienced this will tell you the the ideal treatment is to remove the dead nerve before pain occurs.

When a root canal is done, afterwards the tooth is effectively dead tissue and without a nerve and blood supply it can, but not always, discolour. That is why the dentist advised you that bleaching or even a veneer/crown may be necessary in the future. Sometimes you have to wait and see as not all teeth discolour and this is not effected by the root canal treatment itself , if it does occur it may be slight.

The root canal is a necessary treatment to retain the tooth and to avoid an abcess, the resultant deterioration in appearence is an unfortunate result of the nerve damage and would have occured wheather or not the dental treatment was done as the tooth is dead.

The bleaching or ceramic work is a separate elective treatment and you will have to pay for if you deem it necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I had a root canal done on my top high tooth, the dentist warned me it might discolour. It's now completely grey (it only happened gradually, it became worst after about a year), so much so that I'm embarrassed to smile. The dentist suggested bleaching then a crown, which I can't afford for the moment, but it seems that your dentist's suggestion is on par with mine's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Cheers for the responses guys, I'm going to try make it to my dentists this week and see what can be done. Is there anything at all I can do to slow down the necrosis or is it inevitable at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Bleaching may be the only option alright.

It's painless. The Dentist drills a hole in the back of the tooth, puts in some 'stuff' & seals it.

A few days later you go back & he'll repeat the procedure.

Spose the no of visits depends on the level of discolouration really.

Anyhoo, once the treatment is finished you'll have a nice shiny Gnasher!:)

Only downside is that it fades after about 4 years & you'll need the procedure done again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement