Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing a body protector?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

So I am returning to riding after 5 long years out of the saddle. Me and a friend are renting two horses for a week at the Halloween Mid Term. The only problem is I bought my body protector when I was 12, and now I am 20 it no longer fits me. I'm hoping not to have to buy a new one just for a week of riding. Does anyone know if you can rent riding equip (I've never heard of it) or anyone who has a spare one that I could borrow for the few days and I'll throw them twenty euro? Alternatively, I'm a photographer and could offer my services to snap a few photos of you and your horse :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Borrowing a back protector isn't a good idea long term and even for your week you'd want to ensure it was a good fit.Does the place you are hiring the horses from have any available?What part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I'm in North Dublin. I don't think they would have any to borrow but I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

I agree with bygook, it's not a good idea to borrow ANY safety wear. You won't be familair with it's history and no disrespect to your knowledge of riding but body protectors should be fitted by someone whose trained.

It might be an idea to ask some riding schools but there are legal issues. For example if I rent you a horse or piece of equipment I have to have insurance for that. And I doubt anyone is covered for that.

Is there a reason why you and your friend are renting two horses instead of going to a riding school or yard for a week?

Eoghan

The horses are riding school horses, we are renting them for the week as a birthday present to my friend. We both used to ride together at a lesson every week before I quit. She stills rides at the same school.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

Do you really need a back protector if their riding school horses...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JimDeChamp wrote: »
    Do you really need a back protector if their riding school horses...?

Some riding school horses can be flighty enough out in the fields though. Always the possibility of a spook too.

I wouldn't dismiss riding school horses. We'll be jumping 4ft ish on them and using the cross country course so I need a back protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi Jennie,

Will the riding school not loan or rent you the safety gear you require or do they just not have it? As your renting horses I would presume they would give you anything they have.

I think your going to find it hard to find or borrow ones. I mean you could possibly buy a basic one for cheap. It's a tough one, if we had old stock in the shop I'd give em too you but we sold off all the other brands we didn't want a few months ago, sorry :(

There might be one place I might know of though. If your to rent one have you a figure in mind? Thee might be one school down here that might have spares. A deposit would be required etc.

Regards,

Eoghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Hey I have one you could possibly borrow if you wanted?
    What size back protector are you? i only use one for hunter trials with my horse so you could possibly take it for a week if you needed to.

Advertisement