Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching

• 16-10-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

My dream job would be primary teaching.Currently Im in Leaving Cert. I just want to know will it be easy to get a permanent job after graduation or is it very difficult?

I live in Clare but I would be willing to move if I got a permanent job anywhere

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, it will not be easy to get a permanent job. There is already an over supply of teachers in all areas. People try to get a day's subbing here and there.

That said, if it's what you really want to do, go ahead. You can always teach in the UK until some semblance of order returns to the education system here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Going straight into a permanent job isn't all its cracked up to be. I see it as an advantage to get a bit of subbing in a few schools around your area, get a feel for the atmosphere of the school and the staff, before you go looking for anything permanent.

Tbh, Clare probably isn't the best place to be searching for a job. Given the proximity to Mary I, a large number of the students there are Clare/Limerick natives, so schools have no problem finding new teachers.

Having said that, if you're willing to move around, there should be subbing opportunities, In the long-term that generally leads to something a bit more permanent. If you can get a few weeks subbing in the one school, or maternity cover, make a good impression and you'll be remembered when a position becomes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Thanks for the advice. When I was at the mary I open day they said you had a better chance to get a job when applying if you were a male applicant because of the female:male ratio is far too high. Could this help me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. When I was at the mary I open day they said you had a better chance to get a job when applying if you were a male applicant because of the female:male ratio is far too high. Could this help me?

This is absolute nonsense I don't know why Mary I keep spouting this crap. I went to Mary I and out of all my friends all of the girls got jobs first. I know you might be lucky and find a school who needs someone to do hurling etc. but it really doesn't make any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Mr.Fun wrote: »

I completely agree with whatthehell,the rumour is always flying around. It's more to do with the extras you have on your CV than gender. Statistically, lads are more likely to have sports, extra-curriculars etc. than girls and these things are definitely an advantage when you're out job hunting. If you've got experience like this, great! If not, try to get involved in your GAA club, scouts etc., or there are loads of extra courses you can do in the college to boost your CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

my cousin told me that primary teaching is not the same career that it used to be ten years ago

she says that if she was starting off now it would not be inviting

I know that there's a jobs crisis and changes to the salary but apart from that has the career really changed that much

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eoinseoighe12

Hi all,

I'm in 6th Year will be going to college next year. Therefore, I am in the process of deciding what I plan on studying. I've been constantly thinking about what I would like to do since TY really. I have narrowed down my choices to (1) Primary Teaching St. Pats/ NUI Maynooth OR (2) Irish and French Trinity OR UCD OR NUI Maynooth with the plan to go on and do Secondary School Teaching. My points range is 355 - 470.

I have thought about this long and hard and I know that teaching at either level is what I am passionate about and something I would look forward to developing a career in.

I obviously know that the current climate isn't the best for entering the profession..... lower pay of new recruits, more hours a week etc.... However, it is what I really, really want to; the work life balance suits my desire to do lots of travelling and I can pursue other sporting and voluntary activities which I am interested in. I am also very lucky to be inspired by such wonderful, young teachers in my school who I really look up to as something I aspire to be like - likewise for the teachers I had in primary school.

I have worked out that if I were to pursue (A) Primary Teaching I would graduate in June 2017 from St. Pats or (B) Secondary Teaching June 2019 when I complete the 2 year PGDE.

Also, with regards Primary teaching, would I have an advantage applying for posts given that I am a man and the ratio of male to female primary teachers is so low? I suspect I may have a better chance applying for jobs in the new schools to be built around the country in the next 5 years or so....

With regard to the new schools being built at both levels between now and 2017, as a newly qualified primary/ secondary teacher of Irish and French, would I have a good shot at a post in any of these schools?

For Irish and French as a combination for teaching, are my job prospects good? I have spoken to three of my teachers in the last week, and they specifically mentioned how there is such a high demand for Irish teachers (thats not the only reason why I want to study it, I love doing it in school!) that I would find it relatively easy to get a job.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer my questions - I would really appreciate some feedback from teachers at primary/ second level...

Thanks a million!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement