Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sperm Meets Egg Plan

Options
  • 16-10-2011 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Not sure if this has already been posted but it does have a good success rate! Taken from http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm

Ok I have made this a bit easier to follow thanks to www.magicmum.com!
    The Plan in brief...

Nothing new to what we've all read before, just put down in plain simple cannot fail to understand terms!

Best of luck to all who need it

"Try" every other night starting Day 8 Buy 10 ovulation predictor kit sticks Begin ovulation testing on Day 10 When test is positive, "try" that night, plus two additional nights in a row Skip one night, then do one last "try" Take a home pregnancy test 15 days after your ovulation test was positive, if your period has not begun. If your ovulation test never goes positive, continue "trying" every other night until Day 35, then do a pregnancy test if your period has not begun.

Many books tell you that sperm can last for 5 days and the egg for 24 hours. While this is technically true on the very long end (and something to follow if you trying to NOT get pregnant), most sperm will only last about two hours if you do not have fertile-quality cervical mucus for it to swim in. The sperm will struggle to swim up to your uterus, use all its reserves, and not make it. The egg typically lives only about 12 hours, so it cannot wait for long. You can now see how important that cervical mucus is! You will never get pregnant with sperm living two hours and an egg only twelve. This information is really just to make you feel better if you've been trying a long time and all your infertility testing came back normal. If the Deanna-plan does not work and you are faithful to it for three months, take a dose of plain Robitussin cough syrup (or any cough medicine that says "expectorant" and NOT "antihistamine") each day (preferably a few hours prior to "trying") starting around Day 10 until the day after your ovulation predictor goes off. It should help make all the mucus in your body runnier, including that produced by your cervix. (Oh the gruesome details required in baby-making!) The sperm in the runnier mucus will live about two days, and will be up there and ready for the 12-hour life of the egg.
    A NOTE ABOUT CLOMID: Clomid causes cervical mucus to dry up in 25% of the women who take it. If you notice your mucus is not plentiful as it was before taking this drug, take the Robitussin and call your doctor to make sure your really need the Clomid. If you are ovulating on your own and do not have a documented luteal phase defect, you most likely do not need it.

"Trying" too often can actually do more harm than good. Do not try every night! You will get exhausted and sore, and your mucus--both for fertility and for lubrication--will dry up, and you will stop trying too early in the month or miss an important day. Every other day is absolutely sufficient, with three nights in a row during peak time sealing the deal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

Have just changed the plan above to make it a little easier to follow, am following it myself this month so let me know if anyone else is and we can support each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hi Allgirlz, yes I'm following it (more or less) also. There's a good few on the main thread at top of this forum who are doing it too & it regularly gets some honourable mentions!

I'm on the 2 week wait (exactly one week through) at the moment.
    Luckily I started the OPK's (Ovulation Predictor Kits) early this cycle because I ovulated earlier than last month. I also did the tests exactly as Deanna says in the plan & I got a big positive on them.

Unfortunately the other half was away for one of the key riding days :D so we're hoping for the best anyway.

There's more traffic in the thread at top of forum if you want to get more feedback etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hey Allgirlz and Mink

Gonna give this a bash next cycle unless I happen to be pregnant this month (which I doubt at the moment) On CD 23 so if no baba this month will give this a go!!

Be interested to hear how you find it, sounds like "tough" going in the bedroom :p

As mink said there is alot of talk about it on the main thread too if you fancy reading back through the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

This may be a personal question, but how long do you think one should be trying before having to adopt this way of " trying".

As I already have a 10 yr old, not planned, I suppose I wasn't expecting any problems in conceiving now that I am ready to.
    We are just about to start our 3rd month trying ( period finished yesterday) I'm not sure when I should start getting worried about it not happening.

silly wrote: »
    This may be a personal question, but how long do you think one should be trying before having to adopt this way of " trying".

As I already have a 10 yr old, not planned, I suppose I wasn't expecting any problems in conceiving now that I am ready to.
    We are just about to start our 3rd month trying ( period finished yesterday) I'm not sure when I should start getting worried about it not happening.
    Well this is my first month and like you our first was a suprise :) so I am hoping it will not take us too long to concieve. We are throwing the kitchen sink at it though, I am using the ovulation predictor kits and taking evening primrose and starflower capsules. I don't see the harm in being organised about it, maybe give it a shot this month and see how you go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

allgirlz wrote: »
    silly wrote: »

Well this is my first month and like you our first was a suprise :) so I am hoping it will not take us too long to concieve. We are throwing the kitchen sink at it though, I am using the ovulation predictor kits and taking evening primrose and starflower capsules. I don't see the harm in being organised about it, maybe give it a shot this month and see how you go?
    Thanks allgirlz,
    Maybe I should be doing the same!
    All I'm doing is taking pregnacare tablets.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A couple of slight corrections to this:
    allgirlz wrote: »
    If the Deanna-plan does not work and you are faithful to it for three months, take a dose of plain Robitussin cough syrup (or any cough medicine that says "expectorant" and NOT "antihistamine") each day (preferably a few hours prior to "trying") starting around Day 10 until the day after your ovulation predictor goes off. It should help make all the mucus in your body runnier, including that produced by your cervix. (Oh the gruesome details required in baby-making!) The sperm in the runnier mucus will live about two days, and will be up there and ready for the 12-hour life of the egg.

The active ingredient in cough mixture to loosen up mucus is Guaifenesin - if you dont see this on the bottle, dont waste your money.
    Or alternatively, if you dont like taking cough syrup, use a sperm-friendly lubricant such as Preseed or Conceive Plus.
    wrote:
    A NOTE ABOUT CLOMID: Clomid causes cervical mucus to dry up in 25% of the women who take it. If you notice your mucus is not plentiful as it was before taking this drug, take the Robitussin and call your doctor to make sure your really need the Clomid. If you are ovulating on your own and do not have a documented luteal phase defect, you most likely do not need it.

Respectfully disagree. I was prescribed Clomid, despite ovulating on my own nor a documented luteal phase defect for 18 months prior to that, and was successful on my third month of it. Clomid also helps towards stronger ovulation and egg quality, and you generally do not find out about poor ovulation/eggs until they are extracted for IVF or ISCI which is a long way past Clomid and IUI stages of assisted conception.
    wrote:
    "Trying" too often can actually do more harm than good. Do not try every night! You will get exhausted and sore, and your mucus--both for fertility and for lubrication--will dry up, and you will stop trying too early in the month or miss an important day. Every other day is absolutely sufficient, with three nights in a row during peak time sealing the deal.
    Sperm need 24 hours to regenerate. On my successful month, we did the deed once the night before ovulation and once after. However, since I took a trigger shot, I knew the exact time I was ovulating - 40 hours after injection so timed it as close as possible to it.

Remember, the OPK tests your LH Surge that tells you your body is going to ovulate in the next 48 hours or so, not that you are now ovulating. Even with ovulation pain, I had read on parenting websites that this was the egg expelling, however my nurse confirmed on an appointment that it is the ovary follicle swelling prior to ovulation that caused the pain. This instance, I had pain on CD9, and had my scan on CD10 so I was worried that I had already ovulated, however she showed me on the monitor that the follicles was still enlarged and the eggs were still there. I took the trigger shot and 40 hrs later I ovulated.

Neyite wrote: »
    A couple of slight corrections to this:

The active ingredient in cough mixture to loosen up mucus is Guaifenesin - if you dont see this on the bottle, dont waste your money.
    Or alternatively, if you dont like taking cough syrup, use a sperm-friendly lubricant such as Preseed or Conceive Plus.

Respectfully disagree. I was prescribed Clomid, despite ovulating on my own nor a documented luteal phase defect for 18 months prior to that, and was successful on my third month of it. Clomid also helps towards stronger ovulation and egg quality, and you generally do not find out about poor ovulation/eggs until they are extracted for IVF or ISCI which is a long way past Clomid and IUI stages of assisted conception.

Sperm need 24 hours to regenerate. On my successful month, we did the deed once the night before ovulation and once after. However, since I took a trigger shot, I knew the exact time I was ovulating - 40 hours after injection so timed it as close as possible to it.

Remember, the OPK tests your LH Surge that tells you your body is going to ovulate in the next 48 hours or so, not that you are now ovulating. Even with ovulation pain, I had read on parenting websites that this was the egg expelling, however my nurse confirmed on an appointment that it is the ovary follicle swelling prior to ovulation that caused the pain. This instance, I had pain on CD9, and had my scan on CD10 so I was worried that I had already ovulated, however she showed me on the monitor that the follicles was still enlarged and the eggs were still there. I took the trigger shot and 40 hrs later I ovulated.
    Thanks a million Neyite, I got that passage from magicmum so was not written by me. I am a bit of an amateur at this stuff so all information is very gratefully recieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I used SMEP on my second month of trying and got pregnant. The very idea appeals to me as I am a planner and I like structure :D
    In the begining I naively thought do the deed and boom you get pregnant I never realised how exact you have to be with your timing, SMEP really helps you get that timing right :)

Advertisement