Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone made cod wrapped in smoked salmon? How did it turn out?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Am having family over next weekend for a special lunch. They are mad fish eaters, and I'm running out of ideas!

Just popped into my head why not try cod/haddock wrapped in smoked salmon with a bit of sauce around.

What's bothering me is how to get it right. If I pan fry the lot together, the smoked salmon might be overcooked. I don't want to spend all day faffing about, so maybe it's too time consuming to cook the main fish first then wrap in salmon and flash it.

Has anyone tried a recipe like this? and if so, how did you do it. I hate overcooked fish BTW. I've googled, but all that came up was cod in parma/prosciutto. Which might be easier in the long run!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi,

I have never tried it but it sounds interesting.

In my experience, Smoked salmon falls apart easily when cooked and so does cod or haddock.

Cooking a fillet of cod and then trying to wrap it sounds impractical.
    I also am not sure that the smoked salmon would stay intact when you fry it.

I would wrap the raw fillet in smoked salmon and oven bake it with butter and white wine.

You could then remove the fish and make a sauce from the cooking juices by reducing it and herbs and cream and a squeeze of lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had monkfish wrapped in Jamon, it was really good.
    I don't think wrapping a soft whitefish in another soft fish is a practical solution.
    Monk is much more resistant to falling apart, likewise Jamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭brian67

Hi spanish eyes a nice way to do monk fish fillet & smoked salmon freeze the monk fillet till nearly frozen but not hard get a round bar something like a steel make a hole the full lenght of the fillet but not out the tail end then push the smoked salmon in with the steel untill hole in full season monk wrap in foil and cook when you cut the fish smoked salmon lookes great and not over cooked. hope this is some help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

brian67 wrote: »
    Hi spanish eyes a nice way to do monk fish fillet & smoked salmon freeze the monk fillet till nearly frozen but not hard get a round bar something like a steel make a hole the full lenght of the fillet but not out the tail end then push the smoked salmon in with the steel untill hole in full season monk wrap in foil and cook when you cut the fish smoked salmon lookes great and not over cooked. hope this is some help

Hi, thanks for that, it sounds great. I have a knife sharpener (long steel) that might do the trick as you describe!

Thanks to everyone else too! Foodies rock.

Advertisement