Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it too cold to sleep outside (for a dog)

• 16-10-2011 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

My dog seems to like sleeping in his kennel (english springer spainel)... it has a empty coal sack at the entrance to keep rain out...

He doesnt want to leave it at night only way to get him out is dragging him out with a lead...

He seems pretty warm in there anyway so he has been there all summer...

Its coming up to the winter now,... what temperature is considered too cold for dogs to be outside!?

I guess he`ll just let me know when the time comes... but any views on this welcome!!

(the other dog , a jack russell, likes to sleep inside always though)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It's still quite mild out but come December it would probably be too cold. Would he not sleep inside with the JR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

yeah he would but its a battle to get him out of the kennel...hes probably grand for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Strange that he doesn't want to come out. Do you ever try treats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't drag him out, try luring him out with treats but there's really no point in trying to get him out of his kennel if he's happy in there. It's his space where he can go to chill out.

Spaniels are generally tough dogs and do fine outside, some prefer it so if he's happy there leave him. You can though make him much more comfy by adding vet bed in the kennel, making sure he has somewhere soft and dry to lye down on. You can insulate his kennel, if you're handy enough you can put slabs of insulation inside the kennel on the walls, floor and roof and then use marine/outdoor plywood nailed on over it so he can't chew it.

Making a frame for the doorway and putting in a dog flap that he can get in and out of will stop draughts and he is still free to come and go as he pleases.

Keeping the kennel in a very sheltered area over the winter too, if he gets as cold as last year and the kennel is insulated (and not too big so it doesn't loose heat but big enough for him to move around in) he should be fine.

If you are worried about him in the cold then use treats to lure him but it sounds like he's happy where he is.

There's other things like snuggle safe heat pads but in general spaniels are tough dogs and don't always need extra heating.

yeah theres some vet bedding in there already,,

will do the treat thing if its awful weather and hes not budging.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Considering I have three dogs who consider themselves hard done by if there isn't a blanket to throw over them while they're in their dog beds by the fire, I'm always fascinated to hear about dogs who think that sleeping outdoors is the only way to go!

For all our sakes, I hope the weather isn't as bad this winter.

right, was freezing earlier today and apparently its 4degrees now (half past midnight) so I decided to go and bring the dog in...

(i had brought him in around 9 without too much complaint but somebody else let him out again) this time he was zonked out in his kennel and didnt want to budge... he was really warm to touch but I decided to get him out and indoors anyway...

feel bad for disturbing him!!

hes probably grand cause its a decent kennel with vet bedding and a empty coal sack at the entrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It sounds like he much prefers to be out, some dogs feel more secure if they aren't enclosed in a house. It sounds like he's warm enough and more than happy to be out there. If he wasn't he'd run straight out to you looking for a cuddle to warm up. The only thing to look out for is if he feels cold and is shivering but to be honest if he's more relaxed outside leave him to it.

Advertisement