Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia Rates

• 16-10-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So I have to do some project work for college, I remember reading before that despite having a similar population to Ireland, Scotland has a much, much lower rate of euthanasia. I can't however find the facts and figures despite the fact that I know I have read them before. So if someone could link me to them that would be great. Also if anyone has any other info they would like to share pertaining to this such as why Scotland has such a lower rate than Ireland, what they are doing etc. That would be great thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Its quite true about the figures and you are most likely to get them from the dogs trust UK...try scotland branches of ISPCA and Dogs Trust. Here they are freely available online through county councils.

here is also interesting study :

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/s/straydogsurvey/straydogsurveysummaryreport2011.pdf

I believe we have a larger pts figure due to many factors not just one:

The number of dogs being bred in Ireland is too high...both by breeders and accidental matings. Neutering is more common practice in the UK.

There are too many dogs in Ireland in comparison to homes available so many need to be pts or sent abroad (uk, italy, sweden, czech rep etc) for homing.

Irish population as a whole are less likely to consider a rescue dog for a pet.

Legislation is different in the UK and on a whole there is a higher standard of welfare and bigger access to resources such as cheaper veterinary care, registered and larger charity rehoming organisations throughout the UK. Funding for rescue animals is much higher in the UK due to charities like Blue cross, dogs trust, ispca...and is seen more frequently in the media then here in Ireland.

Just some of the combined reasons for a higher pts rate, please feel free to pm me if I can help further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Its quite true about the figures and you are most likely to get them from the dogs trust UK...try scotland branches of ISPCA and Dogs Trust. Here they are freely available online through county councils.

here is also interesting study :

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/s/straydogsurvey/straydogsurveysummaryreport2011.pdf

I believe we have a larger pts figure due to many factors not just one:

The number of dogs being bred in Ireland is too high...both by breeders and accidental matings. Neutering is more common practice in the UK.

There are too many dogs in Ireland in comparison to homes available so many need to be pts or sent abroad (uk, italy, sweden, czech rep etc) for homing.

Irish population as a whole are less likely to consider a rescue dog for a pet.

Legislation is different in the UK and on a whole there is a higher standard of welfare and bigger access to resources such as cheaper veterinary care, registered and larger charity rehoming organisations throughout the UK. Funding for rescue animals is much higher in the UK due to charities like Blue cross, dogs trust, ispca...and is seen more frequently in the media then here in Ireland.

Just some of the combined reasons for a higher pts rate, please feel free to pm me if I can help further.

Thank you, that was a very interesting study, lots of interesting and helpful information in there, great stuff.

Advertisement