Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Music Photography) Hard Working Class Heroes 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

im...LOST wrote: »
    Not sure if it's frowned upon or not to have so many photos in one post but it was a weekend event and there was a lot of acts so it's only natural that there's lots of photos! Anyway, if a mod wants to clip it, feel free.

What???
    Bring on MORE quality photography. That should be what this place is about. Much more interesting than gear threads. Keep them coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

More you say? :)

6232676102_aaa3587450_z.jpg
    The Danger Is-1 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232713354_c57eab1ce4_z.jpg
    We Are Losers-3 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232708150_3b9d576b1c_z.jpg
    SquareHead-22 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232179193_2e4e67187f_z.jpg
    SquareHead-5 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232173939_79220db2d4_z.jpg
    Le Galaxie-10 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232688390_04abc541cb_z.jpg
    Bats-9 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232687992_bab1f7057d_z.jpg
    Bats-8 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232161927_3255d1eb34_z.jpg
    The Gorgeous Colours-11 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6232147113_4e4c8b1955_z.jpg
    Groom-3 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6226241756_f8055d1355_z.jpg
    Spies-13.jpg by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6225718801_8a586a4b41_z.jpg
    Henrietta Game-15.jpg by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6226236012_305a2cfd3d_z.jpg
    Funeral Suits-12.jpg by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6225710769_3ac1fcb1ee_z.jpg
    Boy Lights Fire-1.jpg by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

6225710241_bb00343a34_z.jpg
    Bitches With Wolves-16.jpg by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

The Funeral Suits-12 one I love, but the finger being chopped off annoys me a little. But I think I was using a 50mm prime and if I moved any way to the right, I'd have cut the end of the bass so I'd be screwed either way :)

Ah well!

Thanks for the thanks, lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Fantastic images... Hard to pick favourites out of them.

Thanks a million :)

I'm really loving the whole music photography game. I've been doing it for just under a year now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

6232708150_3b9d576b1c_z.jpg
    SquareHead-22 by imLOSTirl, on Flickr

WvwHA.jpg

Yes.

Zillah wrote: »
    WvwHA.jpg

Yes.

Haha! Love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

these are great :) really enjoyed looking through this post. especially like "Le Galaxie-10" and "Come On Live Long-5 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

great shots! nice to see someone getting good live music photos where so very many are failing so miserably.

(plus, you have one of my missus in there...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Music Photography is great. Keeps you on your toes. I haven't got to take much gig photography this year unfortunately.

• Advertisement

iamnothim wrote: »
    great shots! nice to see someone getting good live music photos where so very many are failing so miserably.

(plus, you have one of my missus in there...)

The Danger Is?

Music Photography is great. Keeps you on your toes. I haven't got to take much gig photography this year unfortunately.

That's for sure! Constantly changing settings as the light changes and changing the composition because the artists are moving. It's good fun though. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

It is something I would love to get into. I went to Royseven last night and was just too shy to go towards the front of the stage. Did it take you long to get used to going towards the front and just snapping away? I suppose it's out of my comfort zone. A tree or an ocean wont look at you with a "Will you stop" eye.

Would love to have shots like these, even for my own personal collection. I got two decent shots last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Did you get any photos of Amidships?
    (The Button Factory)

It is something I would love to get into. I went to Royseven last night and was just too shy to go towards the front of the stage. Did it take you long to get used to going towards the front and just snapping away? I suppose it's out of my comfort zone. A tree or an ocean wont look at you with a "Will you stop" eye.

Would love to have shots like these, even for my own personal collection. I got two decent shots last night.

Got some of Royseven myself a while back. Quite the photogenic band!

Ordinarily, I get a photo pass when I'm shooting in Dublin venues. I was shooting HWCH for AU Magazineand the venues there didn't have pits like most bigger venues do.
    "Will you stop" eye.

Most bands love the attention! Fire them a tweet or a FB message afterwards and they'll more often than not love to see them. Especially at HWCH, most of the bands are all relatively unknown so there is even less of a chance that they'll give you the "will you stop" eye.

Photography kinda goes hand in hand with music in that bands all need pictures for the social media to help convey their style and mood.

I shoot in the Spirit Store, Dundalk the odd time and it's a small venue. The normal rule for big venues is the first 3 songs and then you are done with photos. I just use that rule in small venues too. Basically it allows you to get your job done and not p*ss off all the paying customers aswell. I mightn't put my camera away completely just on the off chance that the artist does something cool/interesting.

There's nothing more annoying than a photographer running around throughout the whole gig.

Reoil wrote: »
    Did you get any photos of Amidships?
    (The Button Factory)

I didn't, I'm afraid. Can't be everywhere unfortunately! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Awk arse. :)
    There was a photographer there for us, but I didn't get a chance to speak to him.
    I'm used to taking the gig photos rather than being the person getting photographed! :p

Steve.

www.stephenlynn.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

That's for sure! Constantly changing settings as the light changes and changing the composition because the artists are moving. It's good fun though. Really enjoying it.

I took photos as I had photos in the exhibit 2 years ago, then I was playing in a band last year so only took some photos of a friend's band the first night. Missed out on being at it this year. I haven't got to use a good camera properly at a gig this year which I'm disappointed with.
    Most bands love the attention! Fire them a tweet or a FB message afterwards and they'll more often than not love to see them. Especially at HWCH, most of the bands are all relatively unknown so there is even less of a chance that they'll give you the "will you stop" eye.

I used to try and contact bands and failed to hear anything back pretty much all of the time. Funnily though I've had bands chase me about photos I took and wanting to use them for their myspace/facebook but unfortunately most of my own requests went ignored. I didn't want to think my music photos were that bad.

I took photos as I had photos in the exhibit 2 years ago, then I was playing in a band last year so only took some photos of a friend's band the first night. Missed out on being at it this year. I haven't got to use a good camera properly at a gig this year which I'm disappointed with.

I used to try and contact bands and failed to hear anything back pretty much all of the time. Funnily though I've had bands chase me about photos I took and wanting to use them for their myspace/facebook but unfortunately most of my own requests went ignored. I didn't want to think my music photos were that bad.

Ah, yeah. I meant smaller bands love the attention. Getting any recognition from the bigger bands/acts is near impossible.

And I really like your stuff btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

the thing with bigger bands is, they gig a lot, and get photographed a lot, and get emailed about it a lot. there's very few angles of themselves they havent seen.

if you want a plug from them, email the managers directly with a few moderately low-resolutions shots so as to avoid massive attachments, and give them permission to use them for free, if of course you're comfortable with that. I do this after most gig I shoot, and, include a note about how I'm available for portrait work if they require it with a link to my website/portfolio.

Advertisement