Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferretts in Dublin

• 17-10-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi all

ive just recently become interested in ferretts and am wondering where you get them in dublin as ive never seen any in the pet stores ive been into,im also wondering what kind of price they would be to purchase if anyone knows

also is there any laws in ireland about owning ferretts,can you own them and walk them around on a leash in the summer and such

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Usually its best get them young from a breeder, can't remember age, sorry. They need plenty of handling from young or they can be nippy.
    Females should be neutered as soon as old enough as if not bred they can get quite ill, this requires a good vet as not all treat smallies (should be easy to find one in Dub though).
    Hope someone can advise on where to find a breeder, I know there are ferret forums, a good breeder will introduce you to the ferrets and give loads of advice.
    Good luck, they are fun pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

thank you for the reply,im just in the fact finding process at the moment to find out if they could be the right pet for me,i guess they wouldnt be stocked in pet stores around dublin? if anyone has any details for any breeders in the city id really appreciate if you could pass it on to me so i could go and have a look and a chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Try posting in the hunting forum, its a sub-forum of shooting. As they are used for rabbits I'm sure someone there would have some info for you. My local gun shop would have info on local breeders, as they sell nets etc, so if there is a fishing/shooting sport shop in your locality they may be worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Im pretty sure they have a couple in the DSPCA, dunno what the story is with them though!

Edit: just checked, they have two! http://www.dspca.ie/cat_animals_need_homes.jsp?item_flag_custom1=0&item_name=&cat=16&page_num=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

Smeefa wrote: »
    Im pretty sure they have a couple in the DSPCA, dunno what the story is with them though!

Edit: just checked, they have two! http://www.dspca.ie/cat_animals_need_homes.jsp?item_flag_custom1=0&item_name=&cat=16&page_num=1

thank you for the link,i never thought of adopting from a shelter.it would be a good thing to do.

they sure do have 2 but one of them only has 3 legs and it says best suited to a person who previously has experience with ferrets :( it also says on the other ferret suited to osmeone with experience.i have no experience..

at the moment,im more just wanting to go look at them,talk to the owners,have a smell of them, handle them and see what i think of them.im not quite ready to go adopt some tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement