Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip ideas?!?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm looking for ideas for places I can bring a lady friend of mine, who is a stranger to our shores. :D She hasn't been here very long and it think she hasn't really been outside town; apart from a trip down to Glendalough. I have myself some wheels so there's no real restriction in where we can go in that sense. Hopefully looking at going on Saturday and here's some guidelines as to what I'm looking for:

- Has to be not too far from Dublin; aka, 1, maybe 2, hours drive max.
    - Must be cheap, free if at all possible.
    - Ideally it would be something we could do/see regardless of the weather.

I was thinking of maybe somewhere nice and scenic but fun alternatives are welcome.

Cheers in advance for any ideas ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

howth. its lovely

i brought a spanish girl there years ago and she was blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

If it's a blue sky day, take the dart to Bray, make sure you sit on the left and show off the bay... then, take it back to Howth, and get some fish and chips... then, if the two of you are still clothed, dart to connolly, luas to Hueston and head to the Park... a day out and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Betty Draper

Newgrange

only 30-40 mins from the city centre - when you are there then head into drogheda and go have a look at cromwells head

the national stud and japanses gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

+ 1 for Howth. The cliff walk is spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Take her out to Killiney / Dalkey...nice views. Show her Bonos house , and all the sights. Find out what she's interested in ; history, nature, music or whatever. A walk on Dun Laoghaire pier if its nice weather. You can explain stuff as you drive along eg as you pass Blackrock college " thats where Bob Geldof went to school" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

howth. its lovely

i brought a spanish girl there years ago and she was blown away

:D

How did you get her back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

Another vote for Howth.

If it's a sunny, relatively warm day, an evening walk on the Malahide beach is very nice and romantic.

And if she is into hills, hiking and/or historical places, take her to Glendalough. The hike on the ridge along the lake is spectacular, or you can just explore the cemetery and lake shore, and possibly have a picnic there.

Des wrote: »
    :D

How did you get her back?

with a gilette mach 3, you know spanish women and body hair

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

have a look at this site

loads of ideas , some not very obvious .

I would recommend powerscourt and bring a disposable bbq and have a nice lucnh , then go for a walk in the hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cheers for the suggestions thus far. Howth looks like it could fit the bill.
    However, if the weather is as cold and wet as it was today, it might not be such a good idea. Any 'bad weather' ideas? I all likelihood it'll be cold and wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

If the weather is bad you could base yourselves in town and do all the touristy things. National Museum, Dublin Castle tour, Trinity College, Guinness Hop Store, you could run from one to the other in between the showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

jos28 wrote: »
    If the weather is bad you could base yourselves in town and do all the touristy things. National Museum, Dublin Castle tour, Trinity College, Guinness Hop Store, you could run from one to the other in between the showers.

Cheers for the suggestion but I think she's done most of them already. She's been in town for over a month now & wants to see a few things outside the city if possible.

you could do the north/south coast tours operated by dublin bus

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

howth sounds like a good idea and bray..

can anyone tell me which train stations in the city centre will get you there,last time i went was about 15 years ago,i cant remember if it was connolly station or tara or where,ill be lookin to head out there in a couple months,im guessing tara street is howth but bray i cant figure out

also the dublin castle tour sounds nice too,ive never been there in all my years in the city,can you just walk in off the street any weekday and get a tour or whats the crack with it

Advertisement