Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuam Marts 50th anniversary celebration

• 17-10-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Was anyone here at the celebration ? Heard it was a great night, Simon Coveney a breath of fresh air spoke on a bright future for farming. Sorry I missed it all tickets sold out over 350 at it:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ya, was there. Big crowd, 330+, good dinner, very lively band. Minister spoke well, (not at length), said future bright for meat industry, world population thus demand growing. Some challenges on way re: CAP, but these would be worked through. Don't go mad renting land just yet. Said he was at Macroom mart in the morning, auctioneer asked him for any good news; he replied SFP would be paid this week, cattle prices went up straight away!! Late night enough in the end.

Tuam was one of the first marts in Co. Galway and was a great place in it's heyday over 20 years ago; under pressure now from Headford (and others) on Saturdays and particularly Athenry (new road there worked wonders) on Tuesdays; also being hindered by a smallish yard, innert-town location and near-constant roadworks around Tuam these days. There had been rumours of a move to a greenfield site i the past but I'd say that's well off the agenda for a while now. Weanling sales getting a good reputation however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

MfMan wrote: »
    Ya, was there. Big crowd, 330+, good dinner, very lively band. Minister spoke well, (not at length), said future bright for meat industry, world population thus demand growing. Some challenges on way re: CAP, but these would be worked through. Don't go mad renting land just yet. Said he was at Macroom mart in the morning, auctioneer asked him for any good news; he replied SFP would be paid this week, cattle prices went up straight away!! Late night enough in the end.

Tuam was one of the first marts in Co. Galway and was a great place in it's heyday over 20 years ago; under pressure now from Headford (and others) on Saturdays and particularly Athenry (new road there worked wonders) on Tuesdays; also being hindered by a smallish yard, innert-town location and near-constant roadworks around Tuam these days. There had been rumours of a move to a greenfield site i the past but I'd say that's well off the agenda for a while now. Weanling sales getting a good reputation however.
    Thanks. by all accounts a great night,great sale there today. Small yard ? I think its one of the best yards around very well kept in comparison to others. I would have to say its office staff are the best of all the marts I go to

red bull wrote: »
    Thanks. by all accounts a great night,great sale there today. Small yard ? I think its one of the best yards around very well kept in comparison to others. I would have to say its office staff are the best of all the marts I go to

Yard well marshalled alright but very tight when trying to park or reverse into the loading bays. Office staff were a wee bit slow once but have speeded up a lot now. Headford mart also a bit tight to maneuver around, especially when the sheep sales are on at the same time; Athenry by far the best for room to park and swing around etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Great pics in Tuam Herald this week none of Simon ? Heard tonight the chairman was MC and did mart proud, pic of him and his son looks good, also Manager and family. Looking forward to Athenrys do I think they opened their mart too in 1961:D

red bull wrote: »
    Great pics in Tuam Herald this week none of Simon ? Heard tonight the chairman was MC and did mart proud, pic of him and his son looks good, also Manager and family. Looking forward to Athenrys do I think they opened their mart too in 1961:D

Not sure when Athenry opened. As part of his speech, the Chairman read the minutes from the first AGM, mentioning motions passed, the representatives from the different parishes of the hinterland, future plans, loans given to the co-op etc. It's thought 2 of the original committee are still alive, one is in poorish health, the other may be abroad. One of the reasons the mart was situated where it is was proximity to the adjoining rail line; how times have changed. Justin McCarthy was there as well, didn't say too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement