Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEBOSH Certificate or Diploma in Environmental Management?

• 17-10-2011 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of NEBOSH qualifications? This is the wiki entry on them, this is their website and this is the link to the specific Diploma in Environmental Management. Wondering whether their Certificates and Diplomas are recognised within the industry? Sounds interesting to me but then I don't want to waste time, energy and effort and of course money simply to get (hopefully) a Certificate or Diploma - or both - only to find that they're more or less useless? From what I can see you'd need to take the Certificate before the Diploma rather than jumping straight into the Diploma. Does anyone have any experience with NEBOSH? How difficult are their courses? Thanks.

Btw, according to NEBOSH completion of a Diploma allows for entry on certain Msc's at some British universities? Sounds slightly odd but could be good if true. A NEBOSH diploma is a Level 6 on the UK's qualification framework as far as I know. The same level as Honours Degrees in the UK. And equal to an Honours Degree in Ireland (Level 8 on our framework)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They look genuine enough, I looked at the hours there for some of the subjects in that diploma, they seem similar enough to what is expected of an undergrad. I would however recommend that if you do intend on working in the environmental science field that you strongly consider doing a masters and definitely one with a good GIS and statistics component. The legislative side of things and the general management stuff is good but having a good quantitative background should be key, the other stuff is easier to learn you see.

IMO, they seem genuine enough, it looks like one of those things that people who are working already get their employer to pay for (like CPD exams), but it also looks like a good place to start off if you don't have the experience.

Hope that helps. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Thanks for that El Siglo. Yeah, being able to get onto an Msc course with a NEBOSH Diploma would be pretty good. But I'll see, may not do it at all, was just an idea. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 dandelion4

Did you go ahead and book onto the NEBOSh Env. Mngt course? NEBOSH qualifications are very well respected - have done one myself already and considering another one now as part of my upskilling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boru05

To avoid confusion, I think it's worthwhile pointing out that the NEBOSH certs and qualifications are nothing to do with environmental science per se.

The qualification is primarily aimed to train and standardise EHS (Environmental, Health and Safety) Management within large industrial organisations. This is because 10-15 years ago, as compliance with the rapidly growing amount of statutory environmental regulations (mainly driven by the EU) became legally binding, the managers in such organisations who were previously in charge of health and safety etc., became responsible for environmental compliance as well - very often with little or no formal environmental training.

These roles are predominantly management of regulatory and statutory concerns rather than purely scientific ones (which would traditionally be qualified under membership or chartership of a relevant organisation e.g. C. Env. Sci. from CIWEM, CIEEM etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

marti8 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of NEBOSH qualifications? This is the wiki entry on them, this is their website and this is the link to the specific Diploma in Environmental Management. Wondering whether their Certificates and Diplomas are recognised within the industry? Sounds interesting to me but then I don't want to waste time, energy and effort and of course money simply to get (hopefully) a Certificate or Diploma - or both - only to find that they're more or less useless? From what I can see you'd need to take the Certificate before the Diploma rather than jumping straight into the Diploma. Does anyone have any experience with NEBOSH? How difficult are their courses? Thanks.

Btw, according to NEBOSH completion of a Diploma allows for entry on certain Msc's at some British universities? Sounds slightly odd but could be good if true. A NEBOSH diploma is a Level 6 on the UK's qualification framework as far as I know. The same level as Honours Degrees in the UK. And equal to an Honours Degree in Ireland (Level 8 on our framework)

How much is it Marti8??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Are these worth the paper there printed on. I managed to fail a lab in my course by 5% and its looking like I have to repeat the year something I just can't afford to do worst comes to worst are these worth doing as an Alternative to a traditional level 7 degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 dandelion4

they certainly are worth the paper they are written on - but you need to be degree qualified to work in the industry so finish your degree would be my advice - I have a BSc and PhD and have done the NEBOSH Occ H&S Certificate and was looking at the diploma to help me move from consultancy towards an EHS role within Pharma/Medical device industry.... but like yourself, paying for courses is tough at the mo, so I heear you on the financial strain of a possible repeat..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 punitbook

I have already heard about NEBOSH and their certification course I even made wiki research for you to find the solution with those certified body of who providing nebsoh course with various level. Have you looked upon IOSH and SHEilds for you concerned I think SHEilds could be a great option for you to get complete qualification with various level study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 leacy22

I know it has been a while since this thread but I would be wary about choosing Nebosh for the environmental, or health & safety certificate/ diploma courses.

If you check their website, Nebosh exam results statistically have dropped dramatically since 2005. Their published website data indicates Pass rates have dropped from a high of 80% pass rates in 2005 to a low of 20% pass rates in 2015. This is a 60% drop in Pass rates in 10 years.

It appears their published centre results in 2017 and 2016 are as low as 24% for the Certificate courses and 8-10% for the Diploma courses.

I previously did a Nebosh Health and safety course and failed on three attempts only to discover that this was normal across their centres around the world. It was very frustrating. I would be wary about doing another Nebosh course

Advertisement