Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco router disconnects periodically

• 17-10-2011 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in Galway and I've been having trouble lately with my UPC Cisco router. It disconnects every so often. I haven't managed to observe a pattern but it's maybe every 20-30 minutes, sometimes a bit more frequently.

The thing is that I had rock solid service until the time they upgraded my connection to 30MB as standard. I've disconnected the modem and reconnected and even done a reset but to no avail. Unless I'm mistaken too it seemed to connect to the UPC network for quicker previously. it can take 2-4 minutes for the router to come online when I disconnect it.

If the router disconnected periodically and then took only a few seconds to come back on line I could live with that but it looks like the connection is dropping and then taking the same 2-4 minutes to restore. While all this is happening the router looks OK in that all the correct lights are on.

I do have an Apple Airport Extreme sitting behind the router, bridged and dong the wireless. Wireless in the router is turned off. The router is handling everything else. It's weird, it's like the router resets internally because I can't ping other devices on my internal network while the router is off line. Besides that I've got a NAS behind the extreme with a webserver and torrent client running.

I haven't tried calling UPC yet but I just wondered if anybody else is having similar issues, especially in Galway. I'm not sure how to access the logs on the router right now. I'm not a Cable expert but am a techie so I might get some insight.

Is anybody else noticing the same issues? My initial impression is that the Cisco modem is a piece of crap anyway and I'm wondering if I'd be better served with one of their other modems? Any advice or help is welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AnonOne

Nearly same problem in Crumlin.
    We just got a Cisco EPC2203 modem and decided it's cheaper for us to get a wifi-router for our selfs. Now we plugged in the wifi router and it seems like our modem goes offline after some minutes surfing and then stays offline for the next half hour. Then it goes on again ... 3 minutes of surfing ... off and blinking again ... cant figure out why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Having a similar problem in Galway city. It went like that first but now we haven't had any internet since last Wednesday. Just after trying a modem we borrowed from someone and its exactly the same. And what's worse is UPC won't be coming out till Thursday. Getting sick and tired of them at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AnonOne

Still the same problem. Tried to fix it in some way but no chance. Seems like it is a problem of UPC. Internet works ... and then the light show begins ... first LED blinking ... first 4 LEDs blinking ... all LEDs blinking ... it's like the ring of death at the xBox in some way :D

Called UPC and they will come on Wednesday ... we will see what they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 exoteric

Hey, have you tried logging into your router and in "Setup" > "LAN IP Address Management" and changing your lease time. My Cisco modem was resetting itself every hour so I logged in and found that my lease time was set to 3600 seconds which is 1 hour. I have changed this to 500000 which is over 5 days. Seems to be working so far. I suspect that UPC logged into my router and changed these settings to keep my downloads to a minimum? I'm not an expert by any means but seems to be working so far!!!! :)

Advertisement