Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

occupy the deise

• 17-10-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

gas article: from the whispers news....

but even more hilarious is this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i wonder how many people actually believe some of the stories on WWN.......what a funny website :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So they want to occupy the people's park eh?
    Hope the lot of them are fined for illegal camping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

They'll last 5 minutes before it starts raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The article: http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2011/10/16/protester-****ing-freezing-as-occupy-the-atm-on-parnell-street-leads-to-absolutley-no-arrests/
    A LONE anti-capitalist protester was ‘****ing freezing’ in Waterford city this morning as ‘occupy the ATM on Parnell Street‘ lead to absolutley no arrests. Michael Kennedy set up camp at 5am after missing the Rapid Express bus to Dublin.
    “I was heading up to meet a friend from the airport but I missed the coach by two minutes. Sickened bai!
    “I was watching the news of the protests from around the world earlier and just decided that I might aswell protest here for a few hours, till me friend gets into town like.” said the 32-year-old Dunhill man.
    Mr.Kennedy, armed only with an ‘Occupy Parnell Street‘ banner, has been pacing up and down in front of the ‘out of service ATM machine for several hours now.
    “I tell ya one thing boy, I’m ****ing freezing here!
    “The other bollix (friend arriving at airport) rang from Dublin saying he wont be down till 1 o’ clock. They’ll be treating me for hypothermia at that stage.” he added.
    Gardai stop and questioned the unemployed plasterer at 8am after a complaint was made by a Parnell Street resident who felt intimidated by the banner he was holding.
    “Some clown rang the shades cause they were worried about what the sign said. To be honest I didn’t give a ****. I was so cold I was begging them to arrest me.” laughed Kennedy.
    However peaceful his intentions, the ‘occupy the ATM on Parnell Street‘ protest has sparked fury among home owners in the area.
    “What if this gets out of hand? Whos going to pay for the damage if more hippies come along and wreck the place? Just like they did in Lybia!” said 87-year-old pensioner Jack Prout.
    “These people would want to go out and get themselves a job instead of hanging around the streets whinging like battered children.” he added.
    The lone protester confirmed he did not intend to upset people in the area and promised to move on when his friend arrives on the bus into town at 1pm.
    “Me legs are bet off me now aswell. I can’t feel me toes bai. This protesting **** is not what its cracked up to be. Theres no Ben or Jerry handing out ice-cream here I tell ya. And thank ****! Me balls are froze off me anyway! concluded Kennedy.
    In addition to the Waterford rally, demonstrations world wide have picked up steam, culminating in a global day of protests in Europe, Asia and Australia.
    The Occupy the ATM on Parnell Street movement started this morning as a way to pass time while waiting for a friend off a bus. Since then numerous facebook pages have been set up in support of the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The gas thing is, they're actually doing this in Galway.

I can just see the bankers on Wall St quaking in their boots... "Madrid, New York, London, Rome, bwahahahahaaa, chicken feed! What... they've started protesting in... Galway? Jesus lads, time to sit up and listen!" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

fricatus wrote: »
    The gas thing is, they're actually doing this in Galway.

I can just see the bankers on Wall St quaking in their boots... "Madrid, New York, London, Rome, bwahahahahaaa, chicken feed! What... they've started protesting in... Galway? Jesus lads, time to sit up and listen!" :rolleyes:

Sure when Cork did it, the Galway lads pretty much had to come out and do it. Appearances have to be kept up after all. ;)

Meanwhile, in places like Limerick and Waterford which actually suffer from deprivation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Maybe it reinforces Galway's status as a city? :)

Anyway, what's the park got to do with banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

S28382 wrote: »
    i wonder how many people actually believe some of the stories on WWN.......what a funny website :D

I posted the link about john Gilligan posting himself out of prison ages ago on my Facebook and one of the girls up in tullamore thought it was real. The plonker wanted to know how he done it so easy.

Don't forget to watch the video about the dog getting mauled by the kid. My first movie role hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

seanybiker wrote: »
    Don't forget to watch the video about the dog getting mauled by the kid. My first movie role hahaha

Which character is you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Freemen of Waterford :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I posted the link about john Gilligan posting himself out of prison ages ago on my Facebook and one of the girls up in tullamore thought it was real. The plonker wanted to know how he done it so easy.

haha ah god bless her :D

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Which character is you?
    I'm only in it for a second. I'm the child's father running away from my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Cabaal wrote: »
    So they want to occupy the people's park eh?
    Hope the lot of them are fined for illegal camping

why tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

There is going to be an unreal ammount of people who think that they have the power to change the world at this, It's funny really. While everyone else gets on with their lives and goes to work or does whatever they gotta do these people are just gonna be sitting around chanting stupid things. They say they are the educated ones who have free minds and all this balony while they are the ones who are so closed minded they think the world is against them. Will someone just give these people a job or an education?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

DaleB91 wrote: »
    There is going to be an unreal ammount of people who think that they have the power to change the world at this, It's funny really. While everyone else gets on with their lives and goes to work or does whatever they gotta do these people are just gonna be sitting around chanting stupid things. They say they are the educated ones who have free minds and all this balony while they are the ones who are so closed minded they think the world is against them. Will someone just give these people a job or an education?

Or some free government cheese and they can live in a van down by the river! FFS they actually think they can change the system?

Ahhhh...Mr Petrov!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Don't know whos behind it but class website ,keep up the good work ,

Ps Seany don't forget the little people when your collecting that oscar ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

chelloveks wrote: »
    Or some free government cheese and they can live in a van down by the river! FFS they actually think they can change the system?

Can they not try? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

fricatus wrote: »
    Can they not try? :confused:

They probably shouldn't. Dublin, New York, Rome, London, Madrid, all capitals with main banks. Waterford, ehhh i think we've a few bank machines. Its a waste of time and these people if they were serious about it would travel to Dublin to join in that protest but there not, all they want to do is jump on the band wagon and be a nuisance. And going back to my earlier statement about the capitals I know New York is a State but It single handily is probably the most influential place in the world. New York exerts a significant impact upon global commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and entertainment. So when you think little Waterford can really match up to any of these places I'l agree with their little band wagon protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

They probably shouldn't. Dublin, New York, Rome, London, Madrid, all capitals with main banks. Waterford, ehhh i think we've a few bank machines. Its a waste of time and these people if they were serious about it would travel to Dublin to join in that protest but there not, all they want to do is jump on the band wagon and be a nuisance. And going back to my earlier statement about the capitals I know New York is a State but It single handily is probably the most influential place in the world. New York exerts a significant impact upon global commerce, finance, media, art, fashion, research, technology, education, and entertainment. So when you think little Waterford can really match up to any of these places I'l agree with their little band wagon protest.

It's not a case of small cities measuring up to New York, it's a case of the movement being ubiquitous, by being also in lots of very small places. Now granted Waterford might be a bridge too far, for now anyway, because Waterford's problems are too immediate and close to home for many people to engage in these kinds of protests.

Laughing at people for trying to affect social change though is laughable in itself and people should be commended whenever they make any attempt to make society a richer place with a higher quality debate. The status quo across the world has failed, only an idiot would disagree. Once every generation or two there is a big disaster and the potential for change. Maybe this is it.

A lot of people would argue that the brand of capitalism in place from 1945-1973, which involved close cooperation between the state and industry served the west better than what we've had since, which basically amounts to a whole lot of gambling and very little investment in the things that people care about, i.e. business and jobs. So if you think that the financial services 'industry' could do with its wings clipped and that more of the world's savings should be invested in businesses rather than in ponzi schemes, you might have at least some sympathy for the occupy movement. Certainly don't see any value in laughing at them. Especially when Waterford -- of all places -- hasn't exactly benefitted from the status quo. The whole city is definitely in the 99%!

• Advertisement

Dale,

NewYork City is a city within the State of New York analogous to Waterford City is a city in the county of Waterford but that is just semantics. NYCity is what people mean when they refer to New York, not the state. The rest of NY State is a bunch of rust bucket cities like Buffalo, Albany and Binghampton surrounded by cows in the fields and a few fairly decent wineries.

Didn't mean this as a wise azz post just clarifying what NY State is for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They probably shouldn't. Dublin, New York, Rome, London, Madrid, all capitals with main banks. Waterford, ehhh i think we've a few bank machines. Its a waste of time and these people if they were serious about it would travel to Dublin to join in that protest but there not, all they want to do is jump on the band wagon and be a nuisance.

looks like its going ahead anyway ,seems like its some gathering called a freemen group who are behind it ,whatever thats all about .............funny they are waiting till the evening on dole signing on day to start the "occupation"
    this will look good to any foreign companies looking at waterford as a place to set up, i think not.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

The problem with the protest in galway is that theres always so much hippies up here that it just looks normal! I walked past them in the square last week and didnt even notice. Theyre keeping to themselves anyway. Its when they start canvassing passersby that ill get annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

saw something on fb about this complete bandwagon madness ,where were their tents in 2008 when the economy went bellyup,from what i read it looks like a cry for attention from some freeman group in the city with no real basis for their 'occupation' of the clock tower and an adjoining portaloo....

kittymiss wrote: »
    saw something on fb about this complete bandwagon madness ,where were their tents in 2008 when the economy went bellyup,from what i read it looks like a cry for attention from some freeman group in the city with no real basis for their 'occupation' of the clock tower and an adjoining portaloo....
    Oh christ. Them freeman people are annoying. Hopefully the tide comes in so

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

its a pity that waterford wispers news missed out on the occupation of a city council portaloo , sure they could have done an funny article flush wit witty bog standard oneliners......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

just heard the UFO ENTHUSIAST jim corr has sponsored a gazebo for the local freemen group ,hopefully they will hide inside it and not bother anyone going about their business or block up the pedestrian crossing for the buses.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Oh christ. Them freeman people are annoying. Hopefully the tide comes in so

hmmm freemans?

what i dont get is this....

They say that they wont pay any fines or debt they have cos its in their name, however they didnt "choose" their name.. it was given to them at birth... and they were not asked if they wanted that name, therefore any contract bearing their name is null and void as its not the name they would have chose for themselves...

Yet! they will happily go by said "name" when signing on for the scratcher?? or any other benefit that name entitles them too..

The way i see it is this.. they are citizens of Ireland under the name they were given at birth, if they want to deny that as their name well then their citizenship should be withdrawn and they should have to re-apply for citizenship under what ever name they now what to go by, and therefore forfeit all that they are entitled to under their current name.

they would accept their given name quick enough if their "free" lifestyle wasn't being funded by me anymore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

saw on fb earlier they had a some big presentation on chemtrails today..... basic conspiracy theorist lunacy & not much to do with bank bailouts,they will need planning permission soon with all the shantys being built on the quay...wouldnt say they have much in common with the occupy crowd they are more along the lines of a modern version of the old hippy movements aka the 00's freemens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

They should keep the chemtrail ****e out of it tbh what's that got to do with anything?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement