Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering baby when we don't know exactly where we'll be in 4 years

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Our little man arrived in July and I need to get on with sorting out school places given the fearful backlogs I've been hearing about.

Thing is, we live in rented accommodation in D12 and don't know where we are gonna be in four years.

We're 90% certain we'll be in Dublin but beyond that, it will depend on the property market I suppose.

Is there anyone else in this situation? If so, what did you do?

I suppose I will have to register in him in schools in areas all over Dublin to be covered. Do you think I will be able to do this? Will schools ask for proof of residence (ie. that you're living in their catchment etc.)

edit: We currently live in the D12 and are looking to eventually buy in D6/6W/12/14/16 areas (wide, I know. But again, it will be based on what we can afford. We want someplace we can make a home cos neither of us are from Dublin. Opposite ends of the country actually)

Thanks v much,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I do not think that there is any reason for you to registering your child's name for schools all over Dublin. Its simply not true that it is impossible to get a primary school place without 4 years notice.

The only areas that have a huge problem, are areas that had hundreds and hundred of new houses built and no school to cater for them.

The building boom has well and truly ended, so little chance of that happening in the next 4 years.

D6/6W/12/14/16 are already built up areas with loads of schools.

I had no problem putting my childs name down for the local school with only a years notice in D16 and there were 4 other local primary schools that I could have chosen.

Wait 2 years and start researching schools in areas that you might want to live in.

Advertisement