Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big problem regarding closed business

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Right this is a doozy so please bare with me!

Roughly six months ago I traded one item for another (the exact same, just in a different coloring) with a shop. Since then the business has ceased operation. Now comes the confusing part. It turns out the item I traded for belonged to another customer (who had left it in to be sold). He has requested the item be returned (which will leave me roughly €150 out of pocket). My opinion is that he take it up with the business owners (who are well known to both of us).

My question is, who does the ultimate responsibility fall on regarding reimbursing the guy fall on, myself or the business owners.

Comments

Presumably if he left it into a shop to sell it for them, and they did, then he got payment for his item. So either charge him €150, tell him you're keeping it, or telling it's a hard life and we don't all get to sell things to shops and then change our mind and track down customers who may have purchased from said shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Gen2

The business didn't reimburse him though, that's the problem. Sorry should have stuck that in!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The problem lies with the business. He is effectively a creditor of the business and should lodge a claim with the liquidators, where possible.

There is no impact on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gen2 wrote: »
    The business didn't reimburse him though, that's the problem. Sorry should have stuck that in!

Not your problem. You bought the item (whether exchanged or you paid cash for it is irrelevant, you bought it from the shop). The shop not paying him is between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The other guy is probably thinking along the lines of stolen goods whereby if a third party has possession of stolen goods even if they were paid for, they must be forfeited back to the original owner if requested.

But as he traded / handed in the goods himself to the store and gave them permission to sell / trade the goods on his behalf which they did, then his contract is with them and their inability to pay him is nothing to do with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Gen2

Thank you all very much, it appears the situation has resolved itself :)

Advertisement