Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a vinyl record player

Options
  • 17-10-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a record player for my boyfriend,he has loads of vinyls he's collected but no player,wouldn't mind a Hifi system maybe but there's alot out there!Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated?
    Thanks L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

You will probably be advised to buy him one of those plastic retro-style combi disasters that have a turntable, built-in speakers, USB port and radio on them. Do not do this.

If your boyfriend is any way serious about vinyl get him separates. So a separate turntable, amplifier and set of speakers. It will cost a bit, but it will last him decades if he's careful with it.

Go with a combi and he'll be ruining his vinyl collection within hours and returning it to the shop within days.

Good luck with it, it's a great idea for a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lh85

Thanks that sounds great,any idea where I can get all this in Dublin or online either?

lh85 wrote: »
    Thanks that sounds great,any idea where I can get all this in Dublin or online either?

Well, I got my separates in the Sony Centre on O'Connell Street in 2007. They're probably not the best suppliers out there but they're pretty good. At the time the amp I got cost €170, the turntable was €125 and the speakers were €160. I also picked up a second stylus for the turntable because it's always handy to have a back-up one. So those guys set me up for less than €500. Not sure if it would be cheaper or more expensive now.

Obviously you could spend thousands on top of the range gear if you wanted (Bang and Olufsen in Donnybrook) but I'm guessing you'd be looking for something mid-range but decent and I've found Sony stuff reliable. There are a Sony Centres in Stephen's Green SC and on Stephen's Green itself too and I think there's one in Jervis SC.

You can always take a look at the Sony Centre website and see what the prices there are like (if they list them). I think Peats Electronics do separates as well and they have shops on College Green / Dame Street and Parnell Street so you could drop in and ask what sort of stock they have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a record player for my boyfriend,he has loads of vinyls he's collected but no player,wouldn't mind a Hifi system maybe but there's alot out there!Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated?
    Thanks L

Buy a sperate turntable and a good stylus, need to spend at least 100 euros on stylus alone if you want to keep the records in good nick. A cheap one will wear them out. Quality will be surprisingly good though.
    Often ebay can be worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lh85

Cool thanks,have had very bad experience with ebay so try to avoid where possible!Contacted Peats electronics and spoke to the rudest guy ever so wont be giving them any business!Sony and amazon seem to be only options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

This place in Blackrock was suggested to me some time back. Never managed to get there mind.

http://www.cloneyaudio.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

You will probably be advised to buy him one of those plastic retro-style combi disasters that have a turntable, built-in speakers, USB port and radio on them. Do not do this.

If your boyfriend is any way serious about vinyl get him separates. So a separate turntable, amplifier and set of speakers. It will cost a bit, but it will last him decades if he's careful with it.

Go with a combi and he'll be ruining his vinyl collection within hours and returning it to the shop within days.

Good luck with it, it's a great idea for a gift.

I've had a combi for a year now, no issues at all, and it plugs into speakers/amplifier, if required.

Very handy.

lewisdhead wrote: »
    This place in Blackrock was suggested to me some time back. Never managed to get there mind.

http://www.cloneyaudio.com/

I've only ever heard good things about these guys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Try Rage in Fade street - http://www.therage.ie/.

They are in old Road records shop if you know it.

They sell turntables and used vinyl and have a deal where they give you a voucher for vinyl when you buy a turntable.
    Cool thanks,have had very bad experience with ebay so try to avoid where possible!Contacted Peats electronics and spoke to the rudest guy ever so wont be giving them any business!Sony and amazon seem to be only options!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bullpost wrote: »
    Try Rage in Fade street - http://www.therage.ie/.

They are in old Road records shop if you know it.

They sell turntables and used vinyl and have a deal where they give you a voucher for vinyl when you buy a turntable.

They got any decent old non usb ones or just those plastic things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Clooney Audio are good, but you better have a very deep purse! In fact to buy a 'proper' system as advised above it's gonna cost you. And I would agree with the USB cheapo thingy is not for someone who respects their vinyl.
    There is a further issue of where to place the record deck: you will need something to put it on. If you have a suspended timber floor then the thing will hop skip and jump all over the place if you walk on the floor. You need a decent wall bracket... you can see where this is all going !
    Needs a bit of planning to do correct and it's gonna be quite expensive, get him an iPod :-)

Jesus, you gotta love it when the vinylheads take over!

'OP, you gotta spend at least €7,000 on a system with its own dedicated vibration-free chamber or else you won't respect your vinyl'

I am like the OP, I'd imagine. I wanted a record player so I could buy a few records to play to appreciate the nice, warm vinyl sound, but not to replace my main medium of playing music. More of a toy than a tool. In that respect, just buy one of the turntables in Rage (is that the little retro place?). I bought one there, he recommended a little black 'plastic thing' with no USB, just a built in speaker and it can be plugged into any AUX line in a stereo. I think it cost €70.

A year later and it hasn't caught fire, wrecked the vinyl and has relaxed me on many an evening.

Jesus, you gotta love it when the vinylheads take over!

'OP, you gotta spend at least €7,000 on a system with its own dedicated vibration-free chamber or else you won't respect your vinyl'

I am like the OP, I'd imagine. I wanted a record player so I could buy a few records to play to appreciate the nice, warm vinyl sound, but not to replace my main medium of playing music. More of a toy than a tool. In that respect, just buy one of the turntables in Rage (is that the little retro place?). I bought one there, he recommended a little black 'plastic thing' with no USB, just a built in speaker and it can be plugged into any AUX line in a stereo. I think it cost €70.

A year later and it hasn't caught fire, wrecked the vinyl and has relaxed me on many an evening.

I agree with you on the 7,000 thing thats nonsense but I'd like to get something second hand for around 200 euro. I have a sony usb one, its ok for a while but its a bit lacking in sound quality. I think there is room for spending a bit more than 70 euro without becoming totally anal about the whole thing!

Am going to get one of these direct drive jobs from Stanton, good reviews and price (around 185 inc delivery), will report back on its quality when I get it.

33fdqo2.jpg

http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-turntables/t62.html

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Well I guess you could spend 7K on a system, but it will have it's limitations so just beware of that.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Best thing to do is decide your budget and work from there. Does your BF have any system at the moment or will you have to but the whole thing (Turntable, Amplifier and Speakers (and if you really need a boost to the system a separate phono stage as well). Its worth giving Cloney Audio a ring and calling in to see them - they also do second hand equipment and will give you good advice - they work on the basis of starting you somewhere around your budget range and building a relationship over the years as you upgrade to bigger and better equipment.

Its funny to see the old whingers going on about the 'bourgeois' with their 7k systems - the inverse snobbery is hilarious - better off spending more time thinking about what you want yourself than what others have mate!

Its funny to see the old whingers going on about the 'bourgeois' with their 7k systems - the inverse snobbery is hilarious - better off spending more time thinking about what you want yourself than what others have mate!

I see I hit a nerve. I guess I was more right than I thought!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dibi

I'm also looking for a record player for a gift! i'm looking through ebay buy i literally have no idea what i'm looking for..my budget's 100..say for example this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEREO-RECORD-PLAYER-33-45-78-STEEPLETONE-ST918-/180666644494?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item2a1092380e#ht_1406wt_1270

..is it a load of balls or what? i don't want to have to get loads of parts..we have a subwoofer and speakers jobby...can some record players be plugged into them handy enough??
    cheers! :)

dibi wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a record player for a gift! i'm looking through ebay buy i literally have no idea what i'm looking for..my budget's 100..say for example this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEREO-RECORD-PLAYER-33-45-78-STEEPLETONE-ST918-/180666644494?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item2a1092380e#ht_1406wt_1270

..is it a load of balls or what? i don't want to have to get loads of parts..we have a subwoofer and speakers jobby...can some record players be plugged into them handy enough??
    cheers! :)

Yep, I have a Steepletone myself. Plugs right into an amplifier, it doesn't catch on fire or wreck the vinyl either I can happily report! :-)

• Advertisement

also..do all record players play any size record??...that's probably a ridiculous question but anyways!

amazing thanks duke! :)

also..do all record players play any size record??...that's probably a ridiculous question but anyways!

Well, my one has an adaptor to take different size records. It also plays at different speeds. So I guess it plays most types. All the vinyl that I purchased so far is of the normal kind (i.e. not old), no issues.

sorry just before i purchase the steepletone would you mind checking out that other link for the phillips one? incase ya think that might be any good?..i'm awful at deciding!

sorry just before i purchase the steepletone would you mind checking out that other link for the phillips one? incase ya think that might be any good?..i'm awful at deciding!

Sorry, I'm no expert on this subject. All I can say is my Steepletone is grand. Perhaps wait for another poster, and ignore the ones who says your must buy special brackets and all that nonsense. Your not measuring for nanoparticles here.

:-)

**** it sure just gonna go with the steepletone! thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I bought my turntable online from SuperFi in the UK a few years back.

These are affordable turntables which produce a good sound without breaking the bank.

The latest version of the one I have (I paid about 150 euros for it) is available:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/6465

You will need to hook it up to an amp and possibly a pre-amp as well depending on your amps capabilities.

Sorry, I'm no expert on this subject. Perhaps wait for another poster

Some sage advice from the Duke at last :pac:

Just kidding Duke, but you should consider cutting back on the audiophile-hating, you're like a broken record (see what I did there?).

Ah seriously though, each to their own, live and let live etc etc. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

They will play the record but thats about it, you seriously need to spend a bit more as the records will get damaged over time using poor quality stylus fitted to these systems. These type of systems are what killed off vinyl in the 70's and 80's. You will be pleasantly surprised how good vinyl can sound.You don't have to spend a fortune either.
    Considering the cost of vinyl compared other formats it is worth spending a bit more to keep the vinyl in good condition for years to come.
    Try calling richer sounds in belfast for some advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Chat to the guys in Richersounds - they have their own forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105
    I'm sure they could hook you up with a complete system if needed.

Advertisement