Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Crue's 1994 album and other 'lost' classics

Options
  • 17-10-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭

Considered a disaster sales-wise (compared to the sales of other Crue albums) and released at the height of grunge, of all their records this is the one I'll always go back to. Great songs - Uncle Jack, Hammered, Misunderstood. John Corabi is a damn fine singer.

Nowadays, the album is regarded as one of their best.

Any other rock and metal albums that appeared to have slipped under the radar upon release, but have now been considered a classic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lulu.

(gets back into Time Machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A largely panned album at the time,and not worthy of classic status,but with some rockin' tunes is GN'Rs The Spaghetti Incident. A punk(ish) cover album that showcased the death throes of GN'R ,it has some pretty good tunes on it. Tunes like Down On The Farm,New Rose,I Don't Care About You(fcuk you!) sound really good,even with Axl's mockney accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Any other rock and metal albums that appeared to have slipped under the radar upon release, but have now been considered a classic?
    John Corabi is a damn fine singer.

I spoke to Nikki Sixx briefly about this a few years ago. He said he doesn't regret much about what he does and did in Motley Crue (honest man) but the fact that John Corbai had to leave Motley Crue is a huge regret. He said that even when Vince came back he had begged the record label to keep Corbai on as an extra guitarist/songwriter but the label wouldn't have any of it.

I think Vince also felt threatened as well by Corbai's talent because - as a diehard Motley Crue fan - even I can see Corbai was better on vocals than Vince Neil. It's a shame the band never released anything professionally, live, from that era. They did a really strong show in Mexico around late 94 to a sold out stadium and I believe they recorded that.

The best bootleg from that era would be from Hiroshima, Japan - and actually, Corbai came back to the band for a few nights there when Vince got a little too drunk. It was just before they toured with Aerosmith the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I spoke to Nikki Sixx briefly about this a few years ago. He said he doesn't regret much about what he does and did in Motley Crue (honest man) but the fact that John Corbai had to leave Motley Crue is a huge regret. He said that even when Vince came back he had begged the record label to keep Corbai on as an extra guitarist/songwriter but the label wouldn't have any of it.

I think Vince also felt threatened as well by Corbai's talent because - as a diehard Motley Crue fan - even I can see Corbai was better on vocals than Vince Neil. It's a shame the band never released anything professionally, live, from that era. They did a really strong show in Mexico around late 94 to a sold out stadium and I believe they recorded that.

The best bootleg from that era would be from Hiroshima, Japan - and actually, Corbai came back to the band for a few nights there when Vince got a little too drunk. It was just before they toured with Aerosmith the last time.

You'll have no arguments from anybody - me included - that John Corabi is a better singer. The Scream's first album 'Let It Scream' also kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

You'll have no arguments from anybody - me included - that John Corabi is a better singer. The Scream's first album 'Let It Scream' also kicks ass.

Very true, but Vince wasn't hired for his vocal ability, and in all honesty I don't know if Crue would have made it without him in the band, he was a driving force and had the perfect look for what they were after at the time, with regards to Corabi leaving the band, just seems the natural order of things with bands like this, everyone is just a session singer until the original guy gets there act together or gets out of rehab, or the tour offer with the original line up has enough 000's in the $ column.

what's John Corabi doing these days haven't heard/checked anything the last couple of years ? I'm sure I read something but it's gone out of my head.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

http://johncorabi.com/

For the updates on where he is right now... he was/is a class act and you always knew that when Vince wanted the job back he would get it....shame really

Also my under the radar album is Warrior Soul: Last Decade, Dead Century..Criminally underrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

Considered a disaster sales-wise (compared to the sales of other Crue albums) and released at the height of grunge, of all their records this is the one I'll always go back to. Great songs - Uncle Jack, Hammered, Misunderstood. John Corabi is a damn fine singer.

Loved that album.There version of " Hoolagans holiday" is one of my favorite crue songs. Great video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Tunes like Down On The Farm,New Rose,I Don't Care About You(fcuk you!) sound really good,even with Axl's mockney accent.

I have to say, I'm glad you mentioned this, because I love this album and it's certainly one I am always returning too

Axl did a 2006 version of Down On The Farm in LA

...give me some volume on this one......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 CiaranC7

John Corabi is in Ireland on his 2012 European solo acoustic tour....Next Month!

Thurs 15th Nov - The Pint, Dublin
    Fri 16th Nov - Monroe's, Galway
    Sat 17th Nov - Auntie Annie's, Belfast

Ticket's available from www.ticketmaster.ie & all usual outlets! Also Dublin on sale from www.tickets.ie & Galway from www.monroes.ie

Never get bored of this song...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Have to go along with this one, the 94 album is a classic. A real shame that they never released Personality Number 9, this was to be the follow up album with Corabi. I think that the album was mostly recorded but never released and then when Vince came back in it morphed into Generation Swine - an ok album but ruined with terrible production and that song Brandon - yikes, terrible.

Anyone into Corabi check out the album called Voodooland. He's also on an album called Twenty Four Seven which is not that bad.

Will be in the Pint to see Corabi play. Met him years ago when he was with ESP in Spain and he seemed quite sound. He said that Sixx had all the right to the Personality Number 9 album and didn't know if they'd ever see the light of day. With Vince about I don't see that happening. Sixx should have got Corabi to sing on the Brides of Destruction album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 CiaranC7

Don't miss JOHN CORABI at THE PINT, DUBLIN - TONIGHT (THURS 15th NOV)

Ticket's available on door1

Two more 'lost' classics...

'Dog Eat Dog' by Warrant
    'Pull' by Winger

As with 'Motley Crue', both albums suffered sales-wise in the face of 'grunge' and sold only a fraction of their predecessors...yet contain their strongest material. Any Winger fan will tell you 'Pull' is their best album.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Two more 'lost' classics...

'Dog Eat Dog' by Warrant
    'Pull' by Winger

As with 'Motley Crue', both albums suffered sales-wise in the face of 'grunge' and sold only a fraction of their predecessors...yet contain their strongest material. Any Winger fan will tell you 'Pull' is their best album.

Considered to be the worst of 80s Hair Metal after "Cherry Pie" When in fact they were one of the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Alice Cooper's Raise Your Fist and Yell is often overlooked imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Pantera Pre CFH. I would personally consider Power Metal better than anything after Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robbiesgod

As a Motley Crue fan, when I 1st heard it I couldn't get my head around it, but I loved Welcome to the Numb from the 1st time I heard it, but thats as far as it went for years, but now I love it, Driftaway is 1 of their best songs they have, shame we'll never hear them play any of theses songs live.

Advertisement