Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any landlords accept rent allowance?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

HI Folks,

I was wondering if there was a database of landlords that are willing to accept rent allowance.

The reason I ask is that I hope to do an internship via Job Bridge and will be entitled to rent allowance. It would be for a min three months and a max six months. To many ads on daft stating they will not accept rent allowance.

Maybe there is a landlord here that could help per chance?

Any and all help appreciated,

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

frag420 wrote: »
    HI Folks,

I was wondering if there was a database of landlords that are willing to accept rent allowance.

The reason I ask is that I hope to do an internship via Job Bridge and will be entitled to rent allowance. It would be for a min three months and a max six months. To many ads on daft stating they will not accept rent allowance.

Maybe there is a landlord here that could help per chance?

Any and all help appreciated,

frAg

The way it used to be was that Community Welfare Officers, who used to dole out the rent allowance had a fairly detailed knowledge within their area of suitable landlords. That's changed since they were folded into the HSE, I understand.

You can run a query on Daft I think, for Rent allowance accepted. Not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

none that I'm aware of, the RAS is an arrangement between the local council and a landlord, not sure why a list would be publicly available. If you contacted the local council in the area that youre hoping to live in they might provide you with a list of their RAS scheme landlords (I doubt it but they might), but that doesnt mean those landlords have properties to rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

:confused:
    RAS is not the same as rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

hi,

cheers for the reply. I cant find any filter on daft.ie to find out who accepts rent allowance.

cheers
    frAg

snubbleste wrote: »
    :confused:
    RAS is not the same as rent supplement.

OP said rent allowance?

Maybe he can clarify that he intended to mean "rent supplement". I have tenants on RAS and have an agreement with the council and have had tenants receive supplement but that was their own business, nothing to do with me, so not sure why it would be listed as something a landlord would have to accept on DAFT?

Frag, you may have to google site search.

• Advertisement

Just googled it and apparently there was a filter but it was disabled.

http://threshold.daft.ie/ that was the link I found but it just links to daft homepage now.

If there is any confusion it is rent allowance I am referring to wherebye I receive a portion of the rent from the Health Board and I believe I pay the balance which is usually about 12-18 euro per week.

I believe the RAS scheme is for people who are getting rent allowance for longer than 18 months. I on the other hand just need it for the period of my possible internship as I hope to be getting a salary after that.

thanks,,

frAg

Just googled it and apparently there was a filter but it was disabled.

http://threshold.daft.ie/ that was the link I found but it just links to daft homepage now.

If there is any confusion it is rent allowance I am referring to wherebye I receive a portion of the rent from the Health Board and I believe I pay the balance which is usually about 12-18 euro per week.

I believe the RAS scheme is for people who are getting rent allowance for longer than 18 months. I on the other hand just need it for the period of my possible internship as I hope to be getting a salary after that.

thanks,,

frAg

ok, yes then, the Rent allowance scheme (RAS) is different there, the RAS is a term agreement thing with the landlord and council which would usually be long term (to protect both sides) where the council pay the rent direct to the landlord and guarantee it, I have heard of this being topped up by tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would assume the OP means Rent Supplement considering they said 3~6 months.

I would guess most LL first choice would be someone working over rent Supplement. For a variety of reason, some which to avoid tax, but even the one all legal just don't want the hassle of Rent Supplement. But may reluctantly accept it.

The Daft filter wasn't that accurate. It basically indicated no one took it with is at odd with the stats which suggest its 50 per cent of the private rented accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

BostonB wrote: »
    I would assume the OP means Rent Supplement considering they said 3~6 months.

I would guess most LL first choice would be someone working over rent Supplement. For a variety of reason, some which to avoid tax, but even the one all legal just don't want the hassle of Rent Supplement. But may reluctantly accept it.

The Daft filter wasn't that accurate. It basically indicated no one took it with is at odd with the stats which suggest its 50 per cent of the private rented accommodation.

What hassle is involved in ra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Fol20 wrote: »
    THere are a few forms to fill out on a regular basis.

If RA is stopped tenants are not able/willing to pay the rent.

Tenants don't bother sending in the forms on time.

Tenants pocket the money and don't pay the rent

Etc...

There is also the belief that in the next budget it is going to be cut.

Enoough reason for a LL not to want to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fol20 wrote: »

By RA you mean Supplement ?

Landlords prefer someone who's working as they are less likely in theory to be short of money. Less likely to have problems with the rent.

The Rental Supplement is paid one month in arrears, vs one month is advance for everyone else, and it can be months before the local authority get it processed depending on the area. Leaving a tenant struggling yet further. Some suggest that LL can avoid paying tax if they avoid Rental Supplement, but many don't pay tax even with Rental Supplement tenants.
    MORE THAN one-third of landlords receiving rent supplement from the Department of Social Protection have not legally registered their properties with the Private Residential Tenancies Board.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1005/1224305258875.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You are not entitled to rent allowance unless you are renting the same place for 6 months or on social housing list. I was on one of these work placements and needed to rent, i didnt meet either of the 2 criteria above (they wouldnt let me on the housing list) so had to pay my full rent out of my dole.

If you dont meet these criteria you wont be entitled to rent allowance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

hi,

cheers for the reply. I cant find any filter on daft.ie to find out who accepts rent allowance.

cheers
    frAg

If you do an advanced search on lettings on daft.ie there is a check box that says:

Are you looking for places that accept rent allowance?

BUMP,

Anyways I am now on my Internship and still looking for a decent place to rent that will accept rent allowance. I am looking to live close to the office to cut down on travel costs/time so D2,D4,D6 or maybe somewhere on the Green Luas line.

So if there are any landlords out there who have a room to rent or maybe a nice one bed apt and would not mind rent allowance can you please get in touch!!

cheers

frAG

I think you may be a bit too optomistic. You are effectively looking for some high demand property. Nice one bed places are probably not within your means in those locations. Are you going to be able to sign a year lease what happens when you get a job? RA isn't instant either so you need a bank roll.

Do you even know they will give it to you?

HI RAy,

cheers for the reply. Yeah I have enquired as to my elegibility for the rent allowance and i am ok to recieve it. While I know the areas are in high demenad I have to decide between somewhere cheaper with travel costs and commute time or somewhere a bit more expensive but with a lot less of a commute.

As for when I get a job I will be paying the rental as normal.

cheers

frAg

HI RAy,

cheers for the reply. Yeah I have enquired as to my elegibility for the rent allowance and i am ok to recieve it. While I know the areas are in high demenad I have to decide between somewhere cheaper with travel costs and commute time or somewhere a bit more expensive but with a lot less of a commute.

As for when I get a job I will be paying the rental as normal.

cheers

frAg
    Eligible and getting it are not the same thing so be warned. There were changes back and forth on how long you have to be renting before you can apply so I am not sure when you can actually apply. You might want to check that out. It was 6 months and then thay started making exception

I have been in constant contact with the rent folks about my eligibility and as I have been renting for more than 6 mths of the last 12 then I am ok so long as the rent does not go over their threshold. THye know my situation and so I am confident of getting it. I also have their email correspondance saved stating the above should there be an issue.

frAg

I have been in constant contact with the rent folks about my eligibility and as I have been renting for more than 6 mths of the last 12 then I am ok so long as the rent does not go over their threshold. THye know my situation and so I am confident of getting it. I also have their email correspondance saved stating the above should there be an issue.

frAg
    Then you sound fine. I would broden my search if I was you and don't be affraid to contact people who say they won't accept it. Try to not open with it though. :)

I know what your saying but while I do mention it i do assure them that I aint looking for a place to sit around all day watching soap operas and can provide work reference(internship) and previous landlady reference just to put there mind at ease.

thanks for your input Ray,

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Then you sound fine. I would broden my search if I was you and don't be affraid to contact people who say they won't accept it. Try to not open with it though. :)

I found my house on Daft and it said no rent allowance. I asked anyway and he accepted - I have been there 5 years now and have no problems. Think my LL would have a coronary if I said I was moving - he has commented several times on how much nicer the place is than when he lived in it!! :)

Got a spare room going? I can cook ha ha

i shall chance my arm in the new yr as I dont thing its a good time to be looking or moving at the moment with xmas next week. no harm in bouncing a few mails though.

cheerd for reply,

frAg

Advertisement