Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Legacy 2ltr (jap import, twincam) timing belt needed!

Options
  • 17-10-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I have a 2ltr subaru legacy, which was a jap import. Its odd that it has a twincam engine, as opposed to single cam, and i cant seem to find any garages around Ireland that can help me with an issue I have with the timing belt, as they all say there is a difference between timing belts on the single and twin cam engine. Any one any ideas of what type of timing belt is needed for the legacy twin cam engine? or where I can get one? As i cant seem to find anything online, and the multiple mechanics i have been to dont seem to have a clue!
    All help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Should be the same EJ20 as most legacy turbo's and impreza turbo's.

The shouldn't be any issue with finding and fitting a belt, parts are easily available. Many garages are just afraid of anything unusual and japanese:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Napoleon111

Many thanks for that. The thing i was worried about is the last chap I talked to said that there might be a difference in the number of teeth (?!?) on the belt, be it 220 or 240 i think he mentioned, and he said that if it was the wrong one it could do damage to the engine, but i know nothing about timing belts at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

www.isdc.ie if it Subaru, they'll know about it.

Plenty of mechanics on there who'll fill you in.

If yours in a twin cam then there should only be one belt for your car.

Either way the parts are available so at worst its simply a case of removing your belt and measuring it. Full kits are available as well as water pumps so you'd be advised to change everything at once.

Whats your exact year/model etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Hi all,
    I have a 2ltr subaru legacy, which was a jap import. Its odd that it has a twincam engine, as opposed to single cam

OP, how can a boxer engine have one cam? It's impossible to have a boxer engine with one cam in a Legacy (unless it's got pushrods like the old Beetles). I reckon you might have the naming confused.

I imagine that thats half your problem. A twin cam boxer engine has one cam per cylinder bank and a quad cam has two cams per cylinder bank, or four in total. If you go looking for a quad cam belt, it'll make it easier as I'm assuming that's what you mean by "twin cam" and "single cam"

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, how can a boxer engine have one cam? It's impossible to have a boxer engine with one cam in a Legacy (unless it's got pushrods like the old Beetles). I reckon you might have the naming confused.

I imagine that thats half your problem. A twin cam boxer engine has one cam per cylinder bank and a quad cam has two cams per cylinder bank, or four in total. If you go looking for a quad cam belt, it'll make it easier as I'm assuming that's what you mean by "twin cam" and "single cam"

With subaru's, single or twin cam is usually refareing to cams per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

With subaru's, single or twin cam is usually refareing to cams per head.

Thanks for that, but to me it still doesn't make sense as Subaru themselves refer to quad cam engines...

Advertisement