Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges and Allowances

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭

I've heard several times that 40litres of water per day per person is considered reasonable and we will be given free allowances based on this level, however its interesting to note an article on the DLRCOCO website which seems to indicate that as much as 10 times that amount is the norm (unless I've got my sums wrong):

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,7179,en.html

11m litres = 27,000 homes = 407 litres per home. I dont know what average home occupancy is, but even at 5 people, thats 80 litres a day

510m litres in Dublin a day (Population 1.1m?) = 460litres pp/pd!!

Am I dreaming about this 40L allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The 400-odd litres pp/pd figure would include all types of businesses as well as homes. Even counting in the businesses, you will find that the average per property doesn't drop that much, however a small handful of businesses will account for massive amounts of water because their business requires it.

80 litres per person per day sounds about right by calculations I did at some point based on SDCC's water usage.

You also have to consider the fact that we've been consuming water on an "all you can eat" basis. If you consume it on an "all you really need" basis, the vast majority of people can dramatically drop their requirements. 60l per day would be very manageable for most people. Certainly if someone dropped a 60L drum on my doorstep for me every day, I could easily manage with it. A small number of people will be very high consumers of water because they're used to it and don't even remotely consider any conservation idea. So 80l/day may be an "average", but it wouldn't be typical use for your average person.

I don't think the actual allowances have been set, 40L per day is probably too small in most instances. But you also need to consider that this is both a money making and money saving scheme. The allowance will not be set at a point where most people don't pay. It'll be set at a point where most people do pay at least a small amount.

Advertisement