Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

--LOS-- wrote: »
    ye know I never really think of putting pesto on anything other than pasta, even though I eat it when I'm out in crepes and things, I'd say it would be lovely in a wrap like that yum

Trust me, it's amazing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

warning referral link, take out my referral if you want. I actually check deal pages for this restaurant in particular. Loads of veggie food.

This is such a great deal. 29e for 60e at the farm restaurants, or 49 for 100.
    http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/54...r?rui=89234909

Great restaurant, have gone there a lot. Lovely food. And there is a button on the table to call over the waiter.
    http://www.thefarmfood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

FINALLY I got TEMPEH! I always check asia market, drury street whenever I'm there but today is the first day I saw it there, piles of it...

lyvhc2C.jpg

Not even sure if I've had proper tempeh before so even though I was tempted to gather them all up I just got one to try it. Looking forward to trying out some nice recipes with it, seems a pretty easy thing to work with since it's so firm. This looks really nice, might try this tomorrow.

Also got these bad boys..

PV29uGH.jpg

Fcuk quorn,this stuff is way nicer.

I've also decided to take the plunge and go full vegan :) I was gona prepare myself more and read up more first but then I thought fcuk it, the best way to do these things is to just do them. This is my first full day, not sure how hard I'm gona find it coz I never buy real milk or butter anyway, eating out will be the real challenge I'd say. It's been in the back of my head for a while now, I'm even starting to notice a lot more vegans around these parts too which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Those chicken pieces are awesome, also I've always wanted to try tempeh, I'm not too sure what I'd do with it but I like that its firm, I always get the extra firm tofu in the fridge there. I hate tofu that falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Also got these bad boys..

PV29uGH.jpg

Fcuk quorn,this stuff is way nicer.

You didn't happen to notice any of the satay skewers in the freezer did you? Very similar packaging. I'd happily kill all my in-laws for some. :P

• Advertisement

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Those chicken pieces are awesome, also I've always wanted to try tempeh, I'm not too sure what I'd do with it but I like that its firm, I always get the extra firm tofu in the fridge there. I hate tofu that falls apart.

well you can use tempeh in pretty much the same way as tofu afaik, it still has a spongey texture to it so it marinates well. I hadn't really a clue what to do with it either but I just threw tempeh recipes into google :P
    Slaphead07 wrote: »
    You didn't happen to notice any of the satay skewers in the freezer did you? Very similar packaging. I'd happily kill all my in-laws for some. :P

No there were no skewers, I haven't seen them there in a long long time now. There was mostly just the rib things there, I had to actually dig those chicken pieces out of the back and scrape the ice off it to make sure it was them! You could try making skewers with the pieces coz they're the very same stuff without the satay flavour.

Slaphead07 wrote: »

I have asked after the skewers. they won't be back again. :(

How did you find the tempeh los?

I bought some of the tempeh the other day, I was surprised by the taste, It was kinda tangy and weird. Don't think I like it. I fried it, I'll try marinating with sauces later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Love the tempeh myself, have only had it marinated in lovely things and I think it's so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

My dad was queuing in a shop yesterday with ham in one hand and a roast chicken in the other. The guy behind said 'Well there's no vegetarians in your house.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was staying in Cork last weekend, directly opposite Café Paradiso. Unfortunately, there was no time to eat anything there :( Must rectify that in future!

that's some bus schedule!

Got some vegan black pudding, was lovely mm

Raging i missed the vegan bakesale yesterday, o well.

oh where was that? Is it on often?

there was one yesterday https://www.facebook.com/events/441938655892792/?fref=ts
    I totally forget about it til last night,

Damn missed it, would have liked to go. Doesn't appear to be too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Good4U are running a competition on Phantom FM all this week - anyone ever had any of their products?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151452088763661&set=a.327075608660.151212.267800298660&type=1

I have tried them before. I had no complaints.
    I always feel fantastic, when I include things like that in my diet.
    Wouldn't be gone on shop bought sprouts, after that E-coli outbreak in Germany though.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I have tried them before. I had no complaints.
    I always feel fantastic, when I include things like that in my diet.
    Wouldn't be gone on shop bought sprouts, after that E-coli outbreak in Germany though.

I remember that! Good4U's are approved by the British Soil Association though, I think those ones were bought in from abroad, but these are produced in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

that's some bus schedule!

Got some vegan black pudding, was lovely mm
    Not quite a bus schedule, but an overall schedule. There just wasn't enough time to fit in a visit :( Next time I'm in Cork, then I'll try it.

How is that pudding made anyway?

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I have asked after the skewers. they won't be back again. :(

How did you find the tempeh los?

Ya know I liked it at first, but now I just really don't like it all that much :/ I'm not all that gone on the texture of it and the very earthy flavour. I like it when I slice it thin so that it gets more crispy when fried, but on it's own anyway it is definitely a no, I tried marinating in a a basic soy sauce type mixture and baking it, wasn't that great, I liked it when I made the orange sauce (in the vegged up thread) but then I made that same thing with tofu and I much preferred that. I'm gona stick with tofu I think.

Vegans must be stopped, this is funniest blog ever, seriously give it a read :D

This is just one vid taken from it.....

Lately been getting into the dried bean/legume world. For so long I just bought canned, but saw a lot of bags of dried beans etc in the Asia market (love that place) The bags work out so cheap to just bulk buy.
    I've been soaking them at least a day in advance or longer if I can. Had a yellow split pea/black bean combo tonight. yum.

Was at a confirmation on Sunday. It was at the house but partly catered (partly because my aunt cannot relinquish full control). When ordering food she requested a vegan meal and was told the caterer didn't know how to make vegan food so she wasn't able to provide. I know it's a rural area so not surprised she hadn't encountered a vegan before but considering she was preparing a few salads as it was not too hard to at least make me that much. Apparently she wasn't sure what was a wasn't vegan and didn't want to give me something I couldn't eat but ffs it takes five seconds to google.

My aunt was nice enough to make me my own soup, brown bread with coconut milk and a veggie stirfry for a main. I originally wanted to bring my own food but I think even if I had she'd have made me something. As someone studying Hotel and Catering still cannot believe the caterer just flat out refused to make something...

So this is where almond milk comes from ಠ_ಠ

http://imgur.com/a/eejwD

So this is where almond milk comes from ಠ_ಠ

http://imgur.com/a/eejwD

haha, poor little almond.
    I had almond milk once before and had a crazy allergic reaction to it. weird thing is... I eat almonds everyday and I don't react.

Was at a confirmation on Sunday. It was at the house but partly catered (partly because my aunt cannot relinquish full control). When ordering food she requested a vegan meal and was told the caterer didn't know how to make vegan food so she wasn't able to provide. I know it's a rural area so not surprised she hadn't encountered a vegan before but considering she was preparing a few salads as it was not too hard to at least make me that much. Apparently she wasn't sure what was a wasn't vegan and didn't want to give me something I couldn't eat but ffs it takes five seconds to google.

My aunt was nice enough to make me my own soup, brown bread with coconut milk and a veggie stirfry for a main. I originally wanted to bring my own food but I think even if I had she'd have made me something. As someone studying Hotel and Catering still cannot believe the caterer just flat out refused to make something...

Not surprised, these hotels don't make good food, its pre-pared and reheated mainly. They don't want the challenge of catering for vegans/vegetarians because they'll have to use their imagination!

On the topic of beans, I prefer canned beans because they're much softer. How can I achieve this at home? I soak overnight but they're still not as soft as I'd like. I don't have a slow cooker.

Not surprised, these hotels don't make good food, its pre-pared and reheated mainly. They don't want the challenge of catering for vegans/vegetarians because they'll have to use their imagination!

It wasn't in a hotel or catered by a hotel, was catered by an independent caterer. Still same principle.

On the topic of beans, I prefer canned beans because they're much softer. How can I achieve this at home? I soak overnight but they're still not as soft as I'd like. I don't have a slow cooker.

I've been wondering this also, I can never get them to soften up, I'd imagine something has to be added to the water.....??
    Salt maybe?
    I've soaked them for days and simmered for almost an hour and still can't get them as soft as canned.
    I think it may be salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

hai!

Advertisement