Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hmmm I've never seen any vegan substitutes really, I'll have to have a look again.
    I was thinking of banoffee also because I could just swap the cream for soya cream, but the alpro cream isn't whippable, how sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I wanted to make a vegan cheesecake but all the recipes I find are using vegan cream cheese, which I'm sure isn't available in ireland?

They have tofutti in Down to earth, a lot of the time only the sour cream one though, not sure if you can use that.

This is a cool thing for designing a nut roast.... http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html They are very simple, could easily do it the day before.

I might make this soup as well even though I've made it a lot recently but it's just the nicest hearty winter soup ever, more like a stew

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think there was a more bland tofutti one in Down to Earth today, there was also a cheezly which I picked up on the vegan spree.

ASfWyYi.jpg

Heres some good foods for the holidays, your soup is in the list too:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/vegan-holiday-recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I might make this soup as well even though I've made it a lot recently but it's just the nicest hearty winter soup ever, more like a stew

Been meaning to try that. Looks SO good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Was told in Holland and Barret today Celtic Caramel Choices have been discontinued. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Hello! Can anyone recommend some top notch vegetarian channels to follow on YouTube? For e.g. Dieticians, chefs, michelin star veg restaurants. Or anything else vegetarian cooking relatee you've found. Thanks :)

arf91 wrote: »
    Hello! Can anyone recommend some top notch vegetarian channels to follow on YouTube? For e.g. Dieticians, chefs, michelin star veg restaurants. Or anything else vegetarian cooking relatee you've found. Thanks :)

you might have more response if you start a thread, I don't really follow channels on youtube, I like the vegan zombie though.

Does anyone know where in Dublin still sells Dees traditional style vegan sausages? It seems tesco is only carrying the leek ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was in dunnes cournelscourt and see they have veggie spice burgers now, by walshes foods. Also had chicken ones which are new, both these and the originals are on offer €1 for 2. I could find no sign to say if they were vegan or not.

I can see no info online, these are the originals
    spiceburger6pk.jpg

And before someone says it, no those above are not veggie, they have always had meat in them. A veggie friend of mine use to convince himself they were veggie, which is understandable as the consistency does not look like meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Pic of them in packaging.

walsh-veggie-spice-burgers_zps00901584.jpg

I'll post pics of them before and after cooking when I get around to that which won't be today.

Ingredients:
    Water, rusks, onions, carrots, crumb, isolated soya protein, soya, spice seasoning, (2.1% of salt, herbs, spices, yeast extract, preservative E211, rusk, flavour (contains wheat, wheat gluten, sulphur dioxide), wheatflour, wheat starch, salt, modified starch, potato starch, rapeseed oil, vegetable content 42%. May contain traces of nuts and sesame seeds.

Other notes: no freeze, no Vegetarian Society Marks (or similar), bought today with use by 4/4/14, made in Finglas by Keystone Manufacturing Ireland, 167 kCal. Use within 24 hours of opening, has protective atmosphere packaging.

Shallow fry 6 mins, turn once
    Deep fry 3mins at 170 deg
    Grill 8 mins turn once
    Oven bake 10 mins170 deg preheated
    Mircowave 50 secs (800W) (for the mush I suspect)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tricky D wrote: »
    Other notes: no freeze,
    Just a note on this, walshes used to make lots of stuff, spiceburgers were the most well known, in most chippers too. They went bust a few years ago and there were campaigns to bring back the spiceburgers. They came back but only made spiceburgers in their range. They appear to be recovering OK now.

Before they went bust Spiceburgers used to say they can be frozen. Here is an old post
    rubadub wrote: »
    My packet did say they are not to be frozen, I do not remember seeing this before on them. It said the product was frozen already and should not be refrozen. There are loads of myths surrounding this, it is not due to bacteria magically multiplying overnight or anything, what happens is when food is frozen, defrosted, frozen & defrosted over and over the texture of it changes, the water expands and can rupture cells.

So the only "harm" in doing it would be the texture/taste. You should always defrost in the fridge or cook them. I would personally slice them first and then freeze so they can defrost quicker.

I heard the factory now only makes spiceburgers after it reopened, so I wonder if they just are doing batches and freezing them now.

So I would feel safe enough freezing them, this offer will come around again, at least every couple of months they are half price, usually they would be 1.99. The regular ones come in 6 packs which go half price the odd time too. If these prove popular I can see them being in 6 packs.

The normal way to cook them is slice them down the middle and then cook, as they are so thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I found a nice stuffed seitan load recipe that I want to do for a Sunday roast next weekend. But it uses nutritional yeast which I don't have and am not sure where to get, is there anything else I could use instead? Ground almonds maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wanted to make a vegan cheesecake but all the recipes I find are using vegan cream cheese, which I'm sure isn't available in ireland?
    I found a nice stuffed seitan load recipe that I want to do for a Sunday roast next weekend. But it uses nutritional yeast which I don't have and am not sure where to get, is there anything else I could use instead? Ground almonds maybe?

It's in most health shops, if you are in dublin you can get it in down to earth definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Didn't do the half slice. Will do that for next one.

Tasty enough, not too spicy, less rusky and more bread-crumby than the meat version. Mind you it's 27 years since I had a meat one so...

3.5/5

Won't be rushing out to get them when they go up to €2 a pair, but that's a bit more to do with me not being too much of a meat substitute person (nut loaves and nut burgers excepted).

walsh-veggie-spice-burgers2_zps547b0e45.jpg

walsh-veggie-spice-burgers1_zps0a6e971e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's in most health shops, if you are in dublin you can get it in down to earth definitely.

Well I got the nutritional yeast and made the stuffed seitan roast. It was really yum but I think I cooked it a bit too long as the outside was quite tough and dry. Inside was lovely and moist though :)

Had my first Umi falafel when I was home at the weekend ^_^

Also loaded up on these since theyre included in the H&B 1c sale thing....

nakd-cashew-cookie.jpg

These bars are some kind of magic, on the back it says 'cashews 51% dates 49%' but I swear they taste like cookie dough! seriously try them! Also those Organica bars are amazin, there's one that's like Bounty and another that has hazlenut nougat, some of the best vegan bars I've ever tasted.

Those bars are pretty damn good alright.

Is this that place opposite umi falafel?

Is this that place opposite umi falafel?

Yyp

Those bars are pretty damn good alright.

I had the 'banana bread' one today, delish!

Market day!

aICA9LW.jpg

I feel so vegan haha. This is what people assume I have all the time probably, but I've actually been terrible with my diet health-wise recently and getting ill because of it, I feel healthier already just looking at this!

Bonus health store kitty :)

aaVtuLz.jpg

• Advertisement

I dunno if they have this in Ireland?

big_alpro-flavoured-drink-range-macchiato.jpg

omg heated up it's so delicious

If anybody spots it let me know. I've gotten tesco soy milk and started making so cappuccinos. I wish they did the soy chocolate milk in big cartons here, do they?

Oh dear god that coffee flavored alpro!?!?!

I found that coffee shop near BT the other day where they make cappuccinos/lattes using almond/coconut/rice or soy milk.

oh quite the milk choice, what was that called?

They definitely have the chocolate one tar, is that not just in tesco?
    Oh dear god that coffee flavored alpro!?!?!

I found that coffee shop near BT the other day where they make cappuccinos/lattes using almond/coconut/rice or soy milk.

oh what coffee shop is that? I like the way insomnia also no longer charge you extra for soy

--LOS-- wrote: »
    They definitely have the chocolate one tar, is that not just in tesco?

oh what coffee shop is that? I like the way insomnia also no longer charge you extra for soy

Starbucks and costa stopped charging for soy also.
    The coffee shop is called http://shpetite.ie/

Oh will try it out. Thanks

No choc milk in tesco, I see packs of the little ones in town, I'd say there is a big one in down to earth, anybody know? Might look tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Am I weird for eating cheese rinds? I love them, I don't eat them specifically but if I'm spreading some cheese on bread I will spread both the cheese and the rind. Some people find this weird apparently!

I'd say Dunnes as well tar.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Am I weird for eating cheese rinds? I love them, I don't eat them specifically but if I'm spreading some cheese on bread I will spread both the cheese and the rind. Some people find this weird apparently!

you mean the skin thing you're not supposed to eat? I used to like that too :o

Happy Earth Day!

wonder-next-earth-day-ecard-someecards.jpg

heh

Does anyone do anything to observe or commemorate Earth Day?

• Advertisement

Saw this yesterday thought it was awesome.

Advertisement