Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've become addicted to provamels banana soy milk

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've become addicted to provamels banana soy milk

They do the best soy milk. Love the vanilla one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I have a on week trial in a vegan restaurant in York in June and then hopefully I'll get the job and then not come back (except briefly to move over more things and that).

congrats! best of luck with it
    fewtins wrote: »
    Thanks for the links Los, gonna have a go at one of those this weekend. And congrats on the modding!

That's really exciting KB :)

thanks, I'm going to try that coconut rough for a picnic thing at the weekend.

Friends like this.... :o

onlQaun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Should we have a veggie bargain alerts sticky?

10348228_523225167782777_3893621071460485237_n.jpg
    FYI - Good Things Skincare on offer in Boots Ireland atm - their products usually cost around the €6-7 mark, and are reduced to €4.50. Most of their products are suitable for vegans, save the manuka honey range. They do exfoliators, face masks, cleansers and moisturisers.

http://www.boots.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?storeId=10552&langId=-1&catalogId=19051&stReq=1&searchTerm=good+things#container

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

That would be a lovely idea :D I'm especially interested in beauty products like that, I want to support cruelty free brands where I can :)

• Advertisement

Should we have a veggie bargain alerts sticky?

10348228_523225167782777_3893621071460485237_n.jpg
    FYI - Good Things Skincare on offer in Boots Ireland atm - their products usually cost around the €6-7 mark, and are reduced to €4.50. Most of their products are suitable for vegans, save the manuka honey range. They do exfoliators, face masks, cleansers and moisturisers.

http://www.boots.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?storeId=10552&langId=-1&catalogId=19051&stReq=1&searchTerm=good+things#container

There's a thread here..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635135&page=8. Hasn't been used in a while but I'd like to see it used more coz I just forget to post bargains. Maybe you could copy your post there. We've a lot of stickys right now that need to be condensed, it will just take a while.

I like that good things range in boots, I've some of their stuff, it's pretty affordable too.

That would be a lovely idea :D I'm especially interested in beauty products like that, I want to support cruelty free brands where I can :)

There's a thread here on makeup....... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84133865. In other forums posting in old threads is frowned upon but it's not busy enough over here that it matters too much once it's not more than a couple years old. Hopefully again when the stickys get sorted out I'd like to see handy links to these kinds of threads. But feel free to start your own threads, maybe a big thread on toiletries/beauty would be good so we can try and keep those things organised together. Coz even though more girls tend to be veggie/vegan, a lot of the posters on here are male so there's lot of relevant stuff for them too. But the point is if there's anything you want to see on the forum, it's as much your forum as anyone elses.

mmmmmmm coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Dont want to be a party pooper but that exfoliant (and others like it) use polyethylene "micro beads" which is really bad for the environment, they add to the already staggering problem with marine plastic pollution. Heres one article about it, but if you google it theres plenty more. Theres possibly a ban being put forward in some US states. http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/09/microbeads-cleanser-ocean-pollution

On a more lighter note, husband and I have been dwelling over our new found dream of opening a vegan/organic grocers and health food shop. Its actually a relatively sensible idea, husband has over 10 years of fresh fruit and veg stock control etc within a retail business and I've 8 years of experience with invoicing, bank reconciliations and all that lark.

Its just so daunting though, the government doesn't exactly make it easy for you and I get the feeling we'd need a tonne of money behind us :(

Dont want to be a party pooper but that exfoliant (and others like it) use polyethylene "micro beads" which is really bad for the environment, they add to the already staggering problem with marine plastic pollution. Heres one article about it, but if you google it theres plenty more. Theres possibly a ban being put forward in some US states. http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/09/microbeads-cleanser-ocean-pollution

On a more lighter note, husband and I have been dwelling over our new found dream of opening a vegan/organic grocers and health food shop. Its actually a relatively sensible idea, husband has over 10 years of fresh fruit and veg stock control etc within a retail business and I've 8 years of experience with invoicing, bank reconciliations and all that lark.

Its just so daunting though, the government doesn't exactly make it easy for you and I get the feeling we'd need a tonne of money behind us :(

ye you're dead right there, I was reading something similar on reddit yesterday...... http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-05/16/microbeads New York was calling for a ban on those products. Are the micro-beads in that 'good things' product plastic, I can't really tell from the link? Actually the ingredients say 'Polyethylene' which is what those beads are made of.

Where would this hypothetical shop be based? :D That's very exciting, I wish I was doing something more related to the veg world.

It's frickin boiling here, at 5pm now it's 24 degrees outside and 28 in my apartment with all my windows opened, I know I shouldn't be complaining :o

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    ye you're dead right there, I was reading something similar on reddit yesterday...... http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-05/16/microbeads New York was calling for a ban on those products. Are the micro-beads in that 'good things' product plastic, I can't really tell from the link? Actually the ingredients say 'Polyethylene' which is what those beads are made of.

Where would this hypothetical shop be based? :D That's very exciting, I wish I was doing something more related to the veg world.

It's frickin boiling here, at 5pm now it's 24 degrees outside and 28 in my apartment with all my windows opened, I know I shouldn't be complaining :o

Oh I've on idea where it would be yet. Its a pipe dream at the moment. Probably, Wicklow or Kerry though as they are our ideal places to live in Ireland. Wicklow qould probably make better sense from a marketing perspective.

Were heading to Amsterdam for 2 nights in about 3 weeks. Any good vegan restaurants or shops you can reccommend?

Oh I've on idea where it would be yet. Its a pipe dream at the moment. Probably, Wicklow or Kerry though as they are our ideal places to live in Ireland. Wicklow qould probably make better sense from a marketing perspective.

Were heading to Amsterdam for 2 nights in about 3 weeks. Any good vegan restaurants or shops you can reccommend?

oh ye I love Kerry, I've loads of relatives there.

oh are ye, there's loads of places. I think probably the nicest food is De Waaghals. It's vegetarian with vegan options and there is a vegan dessert. But the food is always so amazing, they change their menu very often, I'm always impressed with it though. It's in De Pijp which has loads of cute little bars and places to eat, the Albert Cuyp markt, Katsu coffeeshop is nice n cheap and very sorta non-touristy if you're into that, but they're doing that up at the minute so they only have the front part opened right now. Sarphatipark is there too which is pretty nice and has outdoor ping pong tables if you have bats. I dunno I just really like de Pijp. Bazar is a really nice bar/restaurant in de Pijp too along the albert cuyp straat. It's eastern type food, it's not a veggie place but they have some options but it's just pretty cool inside.

Terrazen (vegan) is in the centre about 5mins walk from Centraal, I love it and it also kinda gets on my nerves sometimes. It's run by this rasta dude that is very nice, but he's so laid back that it can be a bit slow, you'll sometimes get something you didn't order, or else you'll go there and he'll just be randomly shut because he felt like it. But I love their chicken katsus so much that I can't not go there.

I quite like The flying saucer/Vliegende Schotel.

In Amsterdam there are so many squats and often these are turned into vegan eateries. Overtoom 301 is really cool, if you go there on Tuesday nights, they have group ping pong, you just pay a deposit for a bat at the bar if you don't have one. It's really fun though, and they have a bar there and usually a dj. It's a big building, they also show films and stuff, but there is a vegan cafe/restaurant called De Peper there, so it would be cool to go eat first, then play ping pong.

Antarctica is another squat where you can get a 3 course meal for 3e on Sundays (or w/e donation you wish), the site is kinda weird.

Molli Chaoot is another squat, they do a similar thing, 3 course for 3.50 on certain days, I think it's easier to look them up on fb.

Anyway ye might not feel like going to squats, but they make for cheap vegan eats.

The 'Bagels and Beans' chain is really nice, just get hoummous instead of the cream cheese, they've nice options though, much nicer than the bagel places at home imo.

'Koffie ende Koeck' - they're totally vegan coffee and cake place, I haven't been there yet but I always see their stuff on fb, looks so nice.

You can probably check most of these out on happy cow. There's a lot of places I still haven't been to.

It can be a bit annoying with all the cheese for sale everywhere and the fresh stroopwaffels and those baby pancake things, and waffles, all of which aren't vegan. You can get vegan stroopwafels in the Biomarkt. I haven't been to the Indonesian places but I hear they're very veg friendly.

Towards the end of June there is some festival called 'EkoTown' on and another thing called 'Viva Las Vega's food festival', but that might be too late then for you.

The Iamsterdam site is probably the best site for what's on, like right now the Vondelpark free summer open air concerts have started.

haha now I read you'll be here for 2 nights, ah well it's written now. Would you consider renting bikes or anything for that length?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I tend not to use exfoliants with those plastic beads anyway, so I didn't realise it had those things in them - urgh whoever thought of those?! What other mainstream beauty products have them in it - I imagine the common cheaper ones like Clearasil and stuff. I'd just add baking soda to my cream cleanser.
    There's a thread here..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055635135&page=8. Hasn't been used in a while but I'd like to see it used more coz I just forget to post bargains. Maybe you could copy your post there. We've a lot of stickys right now that need to be condensed, it will just take a while.

Fair enough but could we get those threads copied into an already existing sticky, new members especially might not realise they're there, and likely won't go searching the forum for them. Plus it'd mean easy access for us already active members :D

I tend not to use exfoliants with those plastic beads anyway, so I didn't realise it had those things in them - urgh whoever thought of those?! What other mainstream beauty products have them in it - I imagine the common cheaper ones like Clearasil and stuff. I'd just add baking soda to my cream cleanser.

Fair enough but could we get those threads copied into an already existing sticky, new members especially might not realise they're there, and likely won't go searching the forum for them. Plus it'd mean easy access for us already active members :D

ye those plastic things are very annoying, I don't really use those scrubs anyway. But 'good things' has a lot of veg friendly stuff so I don't want to just put people off the company totally, I like to see affordable vegan friendly stuff.

There's already a list of 'useful threads' in the FAQ now, which is a work in progress. We had like 7/8 stickys here, which was crazy, I've removed some of them and instead linked to them in 'FAQ'. If there's anything else people want added just pm us or let us know here. Some of those stickys are so so old, never even edited since the forum was first created, so it's a big job. I've just written up some FAQ recently but just so everyone knows I want to have the place more organised so that we have stickys for FAQ, charter and resources. Then if anything else needs to be stickied afterwards we can do that too. I do want the place really organised for ourselves and for new people, so that people can just glance at the forum and be able to understand what it's all about, how they can become veggie/vegan and be able to easily access any resources they need. But everyone else can help by posting stuff in the relevant threads, like the 'good things' offer in the bargain thread, or if you have cool ideas like adding baking soda to cream cleanser or homemdae facemasks or whatever, you could put it in the DIY thread coz I quite like making my own stuff like that.

Level 5 vegan purchase...

Ut14nFs.jpg

'eco bamboo toothbrush' :D I'm actually surprised how good it is and it's no dearer than a normal toothbrush.

Thanks for all the info Los! Not sure about the bikes, the husband only just learnt to ride a bike properly so I don't think he would be confident enough yet. I'll look up all the places you said and hopefully we will get to visit some of them :)

Thanks for all the info Los! Not sure about the bikes, the husband only just learnt to ride a bike properly so I don't think he would be confident enough yet. I'll look up all the places you said and hopefully we will get to visit some of them :)

oh I just think it's one of the best things to do in Amsterdam, you can rent them for as little as a fiver a day, it does take some time to get your confidence going around though. But if ye have a smart phone it's very easy.

Btw has anyone noticed anything? Check out our new view!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

oh ye I love Kerry, I've loads of relatives there.

oh are ye, there's loads of places. I think probably the nicest food is De Waaghals. It's vegetarian with vegan options and there is a vegan dessert. But the food is always so amazing, they change their menu very often, I'm always impressed with it though. It's in De Pijp which has loads of cute little bars and places to eat, the Albert Cuyp markt, Katsu coffeeshop is nice n cheap and very sorta non-touristy if you're into that, but they're doing that up at the minute so they only have the front part opened right now. Sarphatipark is there too which is pretty nice and has outdoor ping pong tables if you have bats. I dunno I just really like de Pijp. Bazar is a really nice bar/restaurant in de Pijp too along the albert cuyp straat. It's eastern type food, it's not a veggie place but they have some options but it's just pretty cool inside.

Terrazen (vegan) is in the centre about 5mins walk from Centraal, I love it and it also kinda gets on my nerves sometimes. It's run by this rasta dude that is very nice, but he's so laid back that it can be a bit slow, you'll sometimes get something you didn't order, or else you'll go there and he'll just be randomly shut because he felt like it. But I love their chicken katsus so much that I can't not go there.

I quite like The flying saucer/Vliegende Schotel.

In Amsterdam there are so many squats and often these are turned into vegan eateries. Overtoom 301 is really cool, if you go there on Tuesday nights, they have group ping pong, you just pay a deposit for a bat at the bar if you don't have one. It's really fun though, and they have a bar there and usually a dj. It's a big building, they also show films and stuff, but there is a vegan cafe/restaurant called De Peper there, so it would be cool to go eat first, then play ping pong.

Antarctica is another squat where you can get a 3 course meal for 3e on Sundays (or w/e donation you wish), the site is kinda weird.

Molli Chaoot is another squat, they do a similar thing, 3 course for 3.50 on certain days, I think it's easier to look them up on fb.

Anyway ye might not feel like going to squats, but they make for cheap vegan eats.

The 'Bagels and Beans' chain is really nice, just get hoummous instead of the cream cheese, they've nice options though, much nicer than the bagel places at home imo.

'Koffie ende Koeck' - they're totally vegan coffee and cake place, I haven't been there yet but I always see their stuff on fb, looks so nice.

You can probably check most of these out on happy cow. There's a lot of places I still haven't been to.

It can be a bit annoying with all the cheese for sale everywhere and the fresh stroopwaffels and those baby pancake things, and waffles, all of which aren't vegan. You can get vegan stroopwafels in the Biomarkt. I haven't been to the Indonesian places but I hear they're very veg friendly.

Towards the end of June there is some festival called 'EkoTown' on and another thing called 'Viva Las Vega's food festival', but that might be too late then for you.

The Iamsterdam site is probably the best site for what's on, like right now the Vondelpark free summer open air concerts have started.

haha now I read you'll be here for 2 nights, ah well it's written now. Would you consider renting bikes or anything for that length?

plus one for De Waaghals - the food is really great there. Also http://www.happycow.net/reviews/bolhoed-amsterdam-1004 is quite good for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

A 'vegetarian' on Come Dine With Me who won't eat animals that 'make him laugh'. Granted most of the guests and the voiceover pointed out you can't eat steak and call yourself a vegetarian but nonetheless people like him only skew people's understanding of vegetarianism and veganism more causing more problems for those of who actually are veg*ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

It's been days since I ate dairy, but I just had a stress muffin... now I feel quite sick D:

turnikett1 wrote: »
    It's been days since I ate dairy, but I just had a stress muffin... now I feel quite sick D:

I haven't had milk in over a year now, as we didnt use it even before going vegan, but someone in work spilt milk all over the floor the other day and the smell was just digusting. Really made me stomach turn.

• Advertisement

A 'vegetarian' on Come Dine With Me who won't eat animals that 'make him laugh'. Granted most of the guests and the voiceover pointed out you can't eat steak and call yourself a vegetarian but nonetheless people like him only skew people's understanding of vegetarianism and veganism more causing more problems for those of who actually are veg*ns.

That's partly why I didn't like having the forum in food and drink because people too closely associate it with diet. Stuff like that is pretty annoying to me. Like all this new stuff recently about "Jennifer Lopez goes vegan". In reality she's adopting a plant-based diet, she has her own clothing line that contains fur. And then there was this dailymail headline...... "Jennifer Lopez displays her curvaceous derriere in a pair of tiny leather hotpants as she reveals the results of new vegan diet". Even they recognised it was just diet. But I see vegan friends of mine on fb sharing this news story saying things like.... Jennifer Lopez is vegan, so proud of her, or something. That just makes me a cringe a bit because it gives people the message that it's ok once you don't eat animals. But she is supporting animals used for fur in such a big way that I can't have much respect for her. I dunno, maybe people disagree with me. I've no problem with people cutting down on cruelty in any way, it's better than doing nothing. I just have a problem when they abuse the terms 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' because it really skews peoples image of us.

turnikett1 wrote: »

Ah it's ok I had non-vegan doritos yesterday :P I was gona leave them downstairs for anyone to take but then the next day I had nothing to eat so....

But if I eat something with really high dairy content it does make me feel a bit ill. There is a thought out there that there's no such thing as lactose-intolerant, because humans really aren't built to consume milk from another species.

But if I eat something with really high dairy content it does make me feel a bit ill. There is a thought out there that there's no such thing as lactose-intolerant, because humans really aren't built to consume milk from another species.

A lot of people are dairy intolerant without realising it because it's a constant part of their diet so the symptoms are constant so they think they're just normal. Same thing with gluten from what I've read.

Whether the body can properly digest the milk of another species or not cow's milk itself isn't really all that good for us after a certain age. The video explains it quite well.

A lot of people are dairy intolerant without realising it because it's a constant part of their diet so the symptoms are constant so they think they're just normal. Same thing with gluten from what I've read.

Whether the body can properly digest the milk of another species or not cow's milk itself isn't really all that good for us after a certain age. The video explains it quite well.

Ye I guess that's what I meant, we're all lactose intolerant in a way because cows milk isn't good for us like ye said. I just said other species because we consume sheep and goat milk products but I doubt they've been studied because we consume so much more cow milk. There is a very real link between cows milk and osteoporosis, there is scientific evidence on that out there. Even my mother now thinks she has slight osteoporosis and is taking calcium supplements and being overly cautious with certain greens that deplete calcium. But she is not even looking at her dairy consumption which is probably having the biggest impact. But there is no talking to some people.

Ye I guess that's what I meant, we're all lactose intolerant in a way because cows milk isn't good for us like ye said. I just said other species because we consume sheep and goat milk products but I doubt they've been studied because we consume so much more cow milk. There is a very real link between cows milk and osteoporosis, there is scientific evidence on that out there. Even my mother now thinks she has slight osteoporosis and is taking calcium supplements and being overly cautious with certain greens that deplete calcium. But she is not even looking at her dairy consumption which is probably having the biggest impact. But there is no talking to some people.

Yeah read recently that the countries with the lowest dairy consumption have the lowest levels of osteoporosis. I know the feeling, been trying to explain to my mother that sugar, not fat is what leads to weight gain (provided you're not eating trans fats) but she refuses to believe me...despite the fact I'm now consuming more fat than ever and actually losing weight.

(ETA: Obviously if you consume too much of fats then it will contribute to weight gain as will consuming too much of anything.)

There a protest/demonstration on in Dublin tomorrow that I really want to go to. Its called Empty The Tanks and its basically anti Seaworld/Captivity.

Anyone here going? I've no one to go with, but I think I might still go anyway.

There a protest/demonstration on in Dublin tomorrow that I really want to go to. Its called Empty The Tanks and its basically anti Seaworld/Captivity.

Anyone here going? I've no one to go with, but I think I might still go anyway.

There's a march against Monsanto at Dam sq tomorrow, might go. I also have no one to go with but sure I'll probably go in for a bit anyway. Think there's one in Dublin too.

ugh working on saturdays is no fun,.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll think of you while i'm reclining rubbing my kitties. :p
    What do you work at? I'd hate saturday work too, I know some people do crazy hours, I'm not down with that!

tech support shift work :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I feel your pain zombienosh, I work in a hotel. Weekends and bank holidays are literally meaningless :pac:

Advertisement