Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

--LOS-- wrote: »
    oh no :/ How did ye make it, I never tried it.

I basically followed the recipe on the pack, it was Bob's Red Mills.

Whats it supposed to be like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's supposed to be amazingly delicious! You can get some in nourish (if in dublin) and fry it up and see :)
    ye I saw that afterwards! also saw you asking what's the pride thing, you eejit :P

I never knew they were vegan, I wish they said a bit more about what they were doing though, they didn't exactly articulate it the best did they! They also accidentally revealed the location of the farm.

Hey I need to know what I'm proud of hah

Saw article in newspaper today mentioning more about it, saying they were vegan etc and what it was for.

It said the sanctuary is in meath so maybe she was being clever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I basically followed the recipe on the pack, it was Bob's Red Mills.

Whats it supposed to be like?

It's supposed to be delicious, that's all I know, I like it any time I've had it anyway. There was a good recipe for it on the forum somewhere

ah yes I had it bookmarked ofc.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88320675
    It's supposed to be amazingly delicious! You can get some in nourish (if in dublin) and fry it up and see :)

Hey I need to know what I'm proud of hah

Saw article in newspaper today mentioning more about it, saying they were vegan etc and what it was for.

It said the sanctuary is in meath so maybe she was being clever :D

You just wanted the colours!

Is it? That's eh interesting! I wonder can you visit it or anything, I want to meet some chickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was just checking out the website because I thought the exact same thing, I'd love to hang out with chickens. I also see a lot of pictures of sheep and cats. :)

Someone found this little guy at the entrance to our building!

9MQIqrB.jpg

qXuVqmw.jpg

• Advertisement

With regards to the Sanctuary, if its the same one I'm thinking of then they don't accept visitors. They said they want the aniamls lives to be as stress free as possible, so they aren't open to the public Which is fair enough I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's supposed to be delicious, that's all I know, I like it any time I've had it anyway. There was a good recipe for it on the forum somewhere

ah yes I had it bookmarked ofc.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88320675

You just wanted the colours!

Is it? That's eh interesting! I wonder can you visit it or anything, I want to meet some chickens.
    Deal with it glasses ofc

If they dont accept visitors we could try to be awesome vegan volunteers if they need something done? They had guests out to collect the rodrigo y gabriela gear etc

Well done to one woman doing all that, she's great.

With regards to the Sanctuary, if its the same one I'm thinking of then they don't accept visitors. They said they want the aniamls lives to be as stress free as possible, so they aren't open to the public Which is fair enough I suppose.

Ye I thought as much, I'm just being greedy wanting to see the animals :( :P

I did see some nice animals at Amstel Park recently, they have a nice enough area for them there where they can wander inside and outside as they please. Maybe I'll go back and stare at them some more..

3l2WkiM.jpg

TIpc6WD.jpg

that birds colours are cool. It's always sad when you see exotic colourful birds like that most commonly as pets, always in cages.

ye seems like a lost pet, can't think what else. Which means one of the students is keeping a pet bird in their apartment ¬_¬

• Advertisement

spent a few hours in A&E last night, turns out I got some rare virus. Not cool.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    spent a few hours in A&E last night, turns out I got some rare virus. Not cool.

Jeezuz hope you're ok zombie :/

Making Reese's cups :D

I was sitting outside the pub today and baby ducks walked under my legs :D Then the mom called them away :D That's all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi!

It's been a while since I've logged on to Boards and just want to say hello! Hope you all are keeping well.

LA

He lives! Bring back the awesome photos says I, hope you are well!

Had another seitan disaster last night. This time it was The Vegan Dads chick'n nuggets. They looked great prior to going in the oven. Unfortunately they then puffed up into huge blobs that were weirdly empty in the middle and what remained of the seitan was all chewy and bouncy like last time!

I think I'm gonna give up on the recipes that uses purely gluten and try the ones that add beans and such to the dough. I did a PPK one before that had beans and it was much nicer, except for over cooking it which made it a bit dry.

The saga continues...

Hi!

It's been a while since I've logged on to Boards and just want to say hello! Hope you all are keeping well.

LA

I miss your pretty pictures!

Ran into another tourist today, just because you're on holidays, does not mean you don't look before you cross the road >.< Ughhhh, and their reaction is just laugh and not even apologise for nearly getting me in a serious accident. Bike raaaaaaaage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I thought I'd come in and say hi since I have spent a lot of time lurking here lately.

I am, for three months, a experimental vegan, though I use the word loosely (diet only). There are two reasons - the one that has tipped me over the edge to try is this that my cholesterol has been high for years and my doctor is keen for me to go on statins which I have no intention of doing. Secondly, I have always had a problem with modern farming practices. I was actually brought up on a dairy farm and although I can guarantee you that my parents treated all the animals extremely well and with compassion, dairy products are still the baby food of another species and that is, well, just a bit yuck.

I had a full panel of bloods done three weeks ago and have been totally vegan since (except for some fish that was in my fridge and I didn't want to waste). I am fascinated to see what changes there will be in my blood results at the end of the three months and it remains to be seen if I will go back on to animal products. At the moment I think not but I am not yet prepared to make any declarations either way.

Anyway, hope you are all having a nice weekend!

Well after being weirdly sick for the past week, I'm finally back to normal pretty much. Gonna celebrate with a gym session and some old school Offspring to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This talk from Dr. Greger is really good. He basically outlines why B12 deficiency and getting a poor omega-3 to omega-6 ratio is the reason main reason that vegans and vegetarians aren't outliving meat eaters.

If you don't want to watch it, it's basically avoid processed foods with oils and take a B12 supplement.

What does he mean they don't outlive them, all the studies I have seen say they do? American health journal etc.
    Especuially high amounts of meat. But it's very tricky to judge with all the other factors going on.
    Vegans often fare worse than vegetarians or pescetarians in these as I guess before now there was less information and things like B12 supplementation wasn't as popular/easy to do. I recommend the EPA/DHA supplements too.
    http://healthylongevity.blogspot.ie/2014/02/death-by-veggiephobia.html

What does he mean they don't outlive them, all the studies I have seen say they do? American health journal etc.
    Especuially high amounts of meat. But it's very tricky to judge with all the other factors going on.

I'm gonna guess that video was filmed before the JAMA study was published. Maybe he's referring to deaths from heart disease rather than total longevity too.

I'd still say B12 supplementation is still a big problem, probably moreso with vegetarianism becoming more and more popular, because every vegan I know knows they need to take a B12, whereas I don't know any vegetarians that have had a blood test to see how high/low their levels are and most probably don't know much about B12. I'd say deficiency is probably pretty high.

I still take an EPA/DHA but might stop in the future and just rely more on the body converting the omega-3 I take in. I'll see, my diet is pretty clean from processed and oily foods, the only cooked meal I'd eat is my dinner and I often eat that raw too. It's probably good to take them I dunno though just don't wanna take a supplement, it makes me feel like what I'm eating isn't good enough etc. :p

I'm not sure how well the body will convert the likes of flax seed into the good stuff, as it appears to be very low amounts gained from the likes of that, but would the body adapt if the oils were needed? i don't know enough about it.

As for taking supplements, we shouldn't rely on nature when other things can be better. For instance over age ~50 it is recommended that everybody supplement B12 as a large percentage they can no longer absorb enough from natural foods, any natural foods, meat etc.

Oh I'm not talking about B12, I'll be taking B12 forever. 39% of Americans are deficient in B12, and a lot of people think the limit for B12 deficiency is dangerously low and needs to be raised, so the real figure is probably a lot higher!

I meant the Omega-3, I always take milled flaxseed in smoothies, everyday. The problem isn't getting enough omega-3 it's getting it in the right omega-3 to omega-6 ratio because your body only processes so much and the omega-6 gets priority. Like he says in the video you want 1:4. Meat eaters get extra omega-3 from meat and averaged 1:7 but vegetarians and vegans averaged 1:12, 1:17 etc.

I can't find it now but I remember reading an article before arguing that people should look to lower the amount of omega-6 they take in to balance the ratio rather than taking in more omega-3, because it's unlikely you won't get enough omega-6 no matter what your diet consists of and something to do with that taking big doses of omega-3 over a long period of time might not be that good for you because omega-3 molecules can be quite unstable so the body is vulnerable to oxidative stress I guess.

I don't know like, I don't take a big dose of supplemented omega-3 anyway, just one opti-3 a day usually (it recommends two on the box) and also would need to try and calculate what my ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is, which I haven't done. I'd probably also wanna have a read about how efficient the body is at converting the stuff to EPA and DHA, like is it definitely comfortably enough.

Couldn't take my jumper off to cycle home earlier cause my bag was so full of fruit and vegetables :o Vegan problems eh.

Animord wrote: »
    I thought I'd come in and say hi since I have spent a lot of time lurking here lately.

I am, for three months, a experimental vegan, though I use the word loosely (diet only). There are two reasons - the one that has tipped me over the edge to try is this that my cholesterol has been high for years and my doctor is keen for me to go on statins which I have no intention of doing. Secondly, I have always had a problem with modern farming practices. I was actually brought up on a dairy farm and although I can guarantee you that my parents treated all the animals extremely well and with compassion, dairy products are still the baby food of another species and that is, well, just a bit yuck.

I had a full panel of bloods done three weeks ago and have been totally vegan since (except for some fish that was in my fridge and I didn't want to waste). I am fascinated to see what changes there will be in my blood results at the end of the three months and it remains to be seen if I will go back on to animal products. At the moment I think not but I am not yet prepared to make any declarations either way.

Anyway, hope you are all having a nice weekend!

Hi Animord, welcome to the forum!

fewtins wrote: »
    Couldn't take my jumper off to cycle home earlier cause my bag was so full of fruit and vegetables :o Vegan problems eh.

I over-estimated my vegan weakness and went to open a can of chickpeas, ripped the ring-pull clean off, broke the tin-opener trying to use that, had to stab the can open with a knife, vegan problems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi Animord, welcome to the forum!

Thanks.

Well, I was away last week with family. I had anticipated that it would be hard, but not just how hard it would be. They were completely fine with the idea and totally supportive, but they hadn't a clue. So I ate meat a couple of times and had some butter. :( It was nice to get home last night and be totally in control of what I eat. I missed all my lovely big vegetable pile!

So tonight I am having a glass of wine and have made some coconut/banana/dark chocolate icecream to celebrate. :D

I thought recently that I seemed to be getting a lot more like, meat and dairy ads in my social media sites recently when this was beside me on youtube the other day;

6jFK3K.jpg

But I just figured they were probably always there and I've only just now taken more notice. Until today when I saw this a few times on facebook;

5taVjQ.jpg

Maybe big brother thinks I've stopped buying dairy because I've taken to milking my own cows? :D

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    Thanks.

Well, I was away last week with family. I had anticipated that it would be hard, but not just how hard it would be. They were completely fine with the idea and totally supportive, but they hadn't a clue. So I ate meat a couple of times and had some butter. :( It was nice to get home last night and be totally in control of what I eat. I missed all my lovely big vegetable pile!

So tonight I am having a glass of wine and have made some coconut/banana/dark chocolate icecream to celebrate. :D

I always find the airport to be the worst place, and every time I say next time I'm bringing my own stuff, but then you leave in a hurry and forget all about it. The airport here anyway, there is literally nothing I can eat, they don't even sell popcorn or anything.

Tonight is when my fridge/cupboards are very empty at the end of the week :P Lawd knows what I'll have.
    fewtins wrote: »
    I thought recently that I seemed to be getting a lot more like, meat and dairy ads in my social media sites recently when this was beside me on youtube the other day;

6jFK3K.jpg

But I just figured they were probably always there and I've only just now taken more notice. Until today when I saw this a few times on facebook;

5taVjQ.jpg

Maybe big brother thinks I've stopped buying dairy because I've taken to milking my own cows? :D

But we probably do spend more time talking about meat and dairy online than actual meat-eaters :P So that could be why?

Advertisement