Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Oldtree wrote: »
    But should a known paedophile move into your area it would have less of an impact on your life than it would on mine and my childrens'.

Not necessarily. I have many nieces and nephews whom I love dearly and would wish no harm to come to them.

I don't think I'm reading too deeply into what you said. You asked had the poster got children. It doesn't matter if we have children or not. The point of the matter is would I wish harm to come to children, be they my own or not? No, I would not.

Being childless does not minimise the issue or how we feel about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well things seem to have taken a turn for the worst. It's being reported on local radio that another "protest" was taking place this evening and things have gotten out of hand, they've smashed the front door and windows of the house where he lives and there is now large police presence to try and calm things down.

All I can think is that if we act like barbarians, we will become barbarians.

At the minute I'm just glad we live at the other end of the estate.

Well, yes, that sounds bad and I agree that turning into vigilantes is not the best course of action.

Be safe! [for if your opinion got out they could turn on you... not to scare monger but you just never know]
    Well things seem to have taken a turn for the worst. It's being reported on local radio that another "protest" was taking place this evening and things have gotten out of hand, they've smashed the front door and windows of the house where he lives and there is now large police presence to try and calm things down.

All I can think is that if we act like barbarians, we will become barbarians.

At the minute I'm just glad we live at the other end of the estate.

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Well, yes, that sounds bad and I agree that turning into vigilantes is not the best course of action.

Be safe! [for if your opinion got out they could turn on you... not to scare monger but you just never know]

I know what you mean but I don't think my opinion is that extreme, I don;t support this man and I just also don't support violence and aggresion. All it did was cause more distress for the residents, it didn't help solve the issue.

Anyway, enough negativity! :D

To totally change the topic and keep things positive, I've recently moved back to my home town. That all sounds amazing, and it is for the most part.

However, all my friends there are married with children, as are all the members of my family and I find I'm at a bit of a loose end when it comes to free time / weekends. I'm recently single and looking for things I can go to at weekends to keep me occupied.

Not necessarily to meet people but things to get me out of the house. I've looked up Yoga workshops but none happening at the moment. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fill my time? Sundays are particularly long and uneventful! I do try to cook interesting things but as that's indoors it's not ideal for getting out of the house!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would lookup what meetups are near you on meetup.com, I use there and it#'s fantastic. I play boardgames in pubs, go hiking etc. There is stuff for everybody on there.

I've heard of meetup.com alright. However, I'm not necessarily interested in joining a group as my confidence has taken a hammering and I wouldn't be up to that yet. Talking to people fills me with dread. And introducing myself?! Don't even go there! haha

I meant more like events / festivals etc. that I could just turn up to rather than an organised 'let's meet up and do this together' type thing.
    I would lookup what meetups are near you on meetup.com, I use there and it#'s fantastic. I play boardgames in pubs, go hiking etc. There is stuff for everybody on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Pippy it sounds like what you need is a dog! :p

Pippy it sounds like what you need is a dog! :p

haha! Thought of that but apartment living and working 5 days a week is not conducive to having a pet unfortunately.

Nah, I just wondered what people do of a weekend.. what's on, what can I go to, where can I visit etc.

I'll try meet-up eventually but not in the right headspace for 'getting out there' with large groups of people at the moment.

Do you have a car? There's lots of touristy stuff around and up North I still have never seen. Y'know all the lovely cliffs and stones and churhes and fields and museums we'd make a fuss of if we were coming here on holiday. Gong to see then alone can be alright if you get up early, feel like you've done something on a Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Westport is a beautiful place to visit, it is very like galway from the '70s and lots to do there as well as mazing beaches to walk. You could get a train there and hire a bicycle for the weekend, and the people are very friendly too.

Oldtree wrote: »
    the people are very friendly too.

Especially me :p Shame the vegan place is closed atm in Westport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

went to the Three Tun Tavern aka Wetherspoons in Blackrock this evening, Thursdays are curry night, they had a sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry which is vegan when ordered with pappadoms instead of naaaaaan bread so happy days

drunk as flip tho :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Only in a vegan restaurant would you see two waitresses trying to revive a bee with sugar water and agave syrup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Crow asking for water, clever buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

How's everyone doing lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

grand, and you?

Tired but good. Got addicted to these guys lately.......

Biofair%20Quinoa%20Pops.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrrrrrow

Hello, I haven't ever posted here before. Are you people friendly? :)

• Advertisement

we don't bite :)

Hello new friend

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Tired but good. Got addicted to these guys lately.......

Biofair%20Quinoa%20Pops.JPG

God I dislike Quinoa intensely. Made a salad of it about a month ago, as I'd not tried it and it seemed like couscous. Gross.

Bit pot of mushy slop. Will never try it again. Bulgar wheat on the other hand is delicious.

It shouldn't be sloppy or wet, it's much tastier than couscous imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Hmm I tend to agree with Pippy, I've only had quinoa a couple of times but I much prefer couscous. I'll have to give it another go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrrrrrow

It's true, quinoa shouldn't be mushy. I have to admit, I wasn't convinced at first figuring it was just another dumb trend. But it's really good for you and you can do so many things with it, even breakfasts. I'm completely won over at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

I'm a quinoa convert :) I still don't eat too much, as it is quite high in sugar, but will have a small helping when i make it. A nice thing to do if you are getting used to it is, cook it with some basmati or other long grain rice, say in a 2:1, or 3:1 ratio. You can cook them in the same pot together (once you've thoroughly rinsed both!) and it makes for a nice savoury taste imo, and is quite visually appealing also. I heard this tip from a blog where a woman was trying to introduce it to her family and just kept upping the amount of quionoa, until there was no rice left!

Shouldn;'t be mushy, it's never been mushy for me, but I suppose if it was over cooked maybe? Just boil until the little tails are just beginning to come out

Rinsing is the key to taste, i know a few people who've tried it and not liked the taste, because if not rinsed it can be somewhat bitter. Also throw a stock cube in if you want a bit more flavour, although I don't think it's necessary. Also great for the Coeliacs in your life!

Couple of people in work have been eating this! http://www.soylent.me/ nomnom
    No more food for them haha.

The powder is 100% vegan, the oil has fish oil in it yet but you can get it without that (they are also changing to a vegan oil instead).
    um...yum?

Jamie Oliver is starting to put more vegan recipes on his site. A lot of desserts and side dishes but some quite tasty mains in there too.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/special-diet/vegan

• Advertisement

But soylent green is people! haha, I wouldn't be into liquid meals.

Advertisement