Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Exactly! Vegan Toasties for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Wouldn't be in to vegan cheeses myself same as the meats, but so great to see supermarkets stocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Are the tofutti cheeses in with the real cheeses in Dunnes?

yeah, probably why I never noticed them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

yep slap bang in the middle

• Advertisement

stout recommendation of the day:

2ign2iv.jpg

b67go4.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

yeh looked at this one before, might try it this weekend. Sounds yum. Can't stand mushrooms tho, any ideas for a replacement? I usually just replace anything mushroom or aubergine related with butternut squash :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That sounds lovely yep, or something like asparagus to be extra fancy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

ooh that would be lovely with the mash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I used to dislike mushrooms to and still do (on their own) unless burnt to a crisp yummy.

Mam called me into the kitchen this morning cause there was a woman on the breakfast show on TV3 making vegan blueberry muffins. Keeping it vegan was the name of her cookbook. Cool that it's on tell I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

More and more products seems to be putting on their label whether they're vegan or not. All of sainsburys own brand stuff says whether it' vegan. Saves a lot of time.

recommend the vegan cashel blue cheese in cornucopia, lovely! Can get it to take home or they have a cheese plate. Plate was sold out when I was there though

this place has vegan cheese pizzas in dublin now too
    https://www.facebook.com/credopizza

‘Start f*cking naturally': Now you can have organic sex with green vegan condoms
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/05/start-fcking-naturally-now-you-can-have-organic-sex-with-green-vegan-condoms-4858500/

:eek::pac:

More worryingly;
    The condoms were invented by father and daughter duo Jeffrey and Meika Hollender, from New York.

Some of the durex condoms are vegan, I don't know about many of the other brands though.

Gotta love modern marketing, got to the point by the end of the advert I thought your one was gonna start on about the johnnys being gluten free and available on an interest free loan scheme.

surely naturally would mean no condoms:p

Gotta love modern marketing, got to the point by the end of the advert I thought your one was gonna start on about the johnnys being gluten free and available on an interest free loan scheme.

Seen quite a few foundations claiming to be gluten free recently. Wondering wtf they normally put in them that contain gluten. But then some lipsticks have fish scales in them so I shoouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

Had a mishap with some hair bleach and lush henna last night. All fixed to some naturtint now but for a few lovely hours I looked like a bright orange highlighter.

(I know henna darkens over time but thanks to my not so great bleach applications skills it was also hella patchy.)

I heard about Food Aware .ie on the radio today, a food shearing organisation

The figures quoted on the programme shocked me, Ireland is the 5th most wasteful with food in Europe with over a million tonnes wasted each year. With stories of Irish children going to school without a breakfast due to economic reasons, it is a shameful waste.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any substitute ideas for halloumi. Tried googling but got no luck. As far as I'm aware there's also no such thing a vegan halloumi.

Anyone have any substitute ideas for halloumi. Tried googling but got no luck. As far as I'm aware there's also no such thing a vegan halloumi.

you could try some tofu marinaded in something and fried

the tofu in Dunnes is quite chewy when it's fried, maybe that could work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Somebody in Health & Fitness pulled the old "Don't force your choices on your kids" crap :mad: Its such a lazy argument it really annoys me. Don't people realise that until your children are old enough to buy and prepare their own food, then anything you feed them be it meat or veg, is technically being "forced" on them?!

:mad:

Oh and of course we are all B12 deficient :p

I can't read the nutrition forum, very few of the posters actually link to studies or ever back up their statements, it's often people just parading their own dietary habits as a means of justifying them regardless of any science for or against it.

Who knows though maybe this forum is quiet because all the posters died of B12 deficiency .

My children have never eaten meat and are happy and healthy, and it is accepted by their peers and their peers parents who make the effort to accommodate them. They have also been educated about their food.

mine are the same, I'm very happy to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was raised on a vegetarian diet and it's not done me any harm. I think I would have come to it on my own even if I hadn't been raised that way, I was always pretty disgusted by the idea of meat once I knew what it was and I never had a NOTION of starting to eat it even when I got to the age where I could. I've been preached at about the damage I'm doing to my health by a 22 year old who wouldn't eat any raw fruit or vegetables, a overweight guy who was rather delusionally gulping down one of those "serious mass" shakes as he was speaking at me and general assorted smokers, couch potatoes and junk food addicts. Never gets old*

You hear plenty stories of veg*ns who were never comfortable eating meat and became vegetarian as soon as they possibly could, and relatively little criticism of their parents for "forcing their choices" on their kids in that situation.

*Actually got old about ten years ago but oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

BMJD wrote: »
    the tofu in Dunnes is quite chewy when it's fried, maybe that could work

What is the tofu in Dunnes? I use the Caldron one from Tesco sometimes - but I have never noticed Tofu in Dunnes - what section is it in?

Oh just realised I'm ten years vegetarian/vegan this month ooo

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    What is the tofu in Dunnes? I use the Caldron one from Tesco sometimes - but I have never noticed Tofu in Dunnes - what section is it in?

this stuff, it's usually in the salad section and it's only €2

1461627_618833494841763_132480240_n.jpg?oh=e5e5feb3c61573431c792c4e62bdd7cd&oe=54A2B3A0&__gda__=1418020563_41651aab498466d0ac8e8c21d979e548

Advertisement