Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Just posted my first thread on this page since I started lurking when I turned vegetarian 9 months ago! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Oh just realised I'm ten years vegetarian/vegan this month ooo

And your not dead from lack of b12 or proteins?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Oh just realised I'm ten years vegetarian/vegan this month ooo

You must be dying for a steak. hawhawhaw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Piper101 wrote: »
    Just posted my first thread on this page since I started lurking when I turned vegetarian 9 months ago! :)
    Welcome :) How're piper101?
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    And your not dead from lack of b12 or proteins?!!
    You stop missing protein when you've not had it for a while :pac:
    You must be dying for a steak. hawhawhaw.

That was my favourite food by a mile, insofar that nobody believed I went vegetarian at the time. Boy who only eats meat now not eating meat?! Impossible!

Whole world of food beyond those days now :)

On a side note, this month Ive been on boards 10 years...I feel olds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye I'm way younger than you on boards, oldie :p

Those 2 months make all the difference, it all goes downhill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Has anyone else had Freedom Mallows? So good! I don't if shops in Ireland stock them but you can buy them online if you really want to try them. They're a bit pricy (think I paid £2.49 for a pack) but I haven't had marshmallows since I stopped eating meat so was worth it as a treat.

Also picked up The Extra Virgin Kitchen yesterday. Not a wholly vegan cookbook but something like 130 out of 145 recipes are vegan. I'm trying to cut down on wheat and sugar (both of which the book excludes) and it only cost £20 which is really good for a cookbook in my experience. Only flicked through it so far but there's so many things I want to try and it's all fairly simple as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Yeh my sister got that Extra Virgin Kitchen cook book, think I might get it myself, she made gluten and sugar free (well coconut sugar) brownies from it, and they were lovely!

p.s. did you get those mallows in a shop?

working my last late for a while tonight. I'll coffee my way through the dead lights

• Advertisement

i esspressoed my way through work after a work night out today, good luck!

While on teh subject, w.j. mulligans are so great, every time I email them before I go there they make me a special vegan main course. Yesterday it was a slow cooked cauliflower steak, I never liked cauliflower before their cauliflower steak, unreal.

Where is that? google does not know

thats because I am an idiot and combined two bars names together.

It's this http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/

Feu wrote: »
    Yeh my sister got that Extra Virgin Kitchen cook book, think I might get it myself, she made gluten and sugar free (well coconut sugar) brownies from it, and they were lovely!

p.s. did you get those mallows in a shop?

The brownies do look really good. I like as well she tends to use sugars that have nutritive properties as well as sweetening things.

I did but I'm in England. Apparently Holland and Barret sell them here so maybe they stock them in Ireland too?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

I did but I'm in England. Apparently Holland and Barret sell them here so maybe they stock them in Ireland too?

will check it out. Would love to make those rice krispie/toffee/marshmallow things, have not had them for years since I try to emphatically stay away from Pork [or other animal] gelatine.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/08/10/lone-star-tick-red-meat-allergy

It's time to take matters into our own hands and release these bugs :p

that's mental

I'm going to Berlin on Thursday for the weekend. Pretty much just for the vegan food :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Great :rolleyes: things are just about to get that bit more difficult with the Dyson awards:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29245299
    Bump Mark (UK):

Food labels filled with gelatine become bumpy to signal if the food inside has spoiled.

Current expiration dates are not always accurate - for example they do not take account of the fact that the meat, juice or vegetables inside might not have been refrigerated properly.

Bump Mark tackles the problem by allowing the producer to set the gelatine to decay at the same rate as the package's contents - the higher the concentration, the longer it takes to turn from a solid into a liquid.

Once the gelatine has changed state, bumps built into the plastic underneath can be felt, providing a tactile safety check.

That sounds gross, are they going to try use this to put gelatine into everything? I'd imagine it would only be heavily processed foods?

• Advertisement

There's something fantastic about the processed foods industry now even making packaging out of meat.

What wonderful news. :rolleyes:

Didn't realise you had to pay to set up a group on meetup.com. It makes sense but I'm so broke right now...

What wonderful news. :rolleyes:

Didn't realise you had to pay to set up a group on meetup.com. It makes sense but I'm so broke right now...

If you know anybody that pays I think they can have more than one group

If you know anybody that pays I think they can have more than one group

Don't know anyone well enough so just paid. If worst comes to worst have a little extra in a savings account.

Spent a stupid amount on almond milk in Holland and Barret because no where else in the city centre sells it unsweetened and it tastes absolutely rank. Curdeled instand in my tea as well which never happens with almond milk. Quite annoyed. Think when I go home I'm going to bring a suitcase back filled with milk and coconut oil (which also costs horrific prices here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Tesco currently have alpro non dairy milks on offer 2 for €3.

I just made a salad for lunch using pearl couscous and I couldn't help but think how much the cooked couscous resembled the caviar you see on top of sushi.
    So then I got thinking, if I were to cook the couscous in beetroot juice or maybe carrot juice, I could use it to top sushi rolls! It would be a great way to fool people :P

It has such a lovely mouth feel too. Soft, smooth and kinda chewy. Its like eating bubbles!

One other person has joined my meetup group. I feel less alone and pathetic now!

It annoys me that Leonardo Dicaprio isn't vegan. He's one of the biggest supporters/voices in the climate change movement and yet he still eats meat!

Yeah I was listening to him go on on the radio this morning. Environmentalists are starting to annoy me.
    Also being against GMO for environmental reasons alone and eating away at meat/dairy/eggs at the same time too.

• Advertisement

Exactly! Its the easiest change to make yet very few people are willing to make the sacrifice. I think its great that Leo shows such passion for the cause but I think he does a lot of harm too with his 'do as I say not as I do' attitude.

Advertisement