Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it looks so good, dunno if I'll go along yet but look at all the yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just seen on the FB page apparently it happens quite often in this Paris wine bar, I've never been here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never been there, and have never wanted to have a meal on my own, but feck it might head there and report back, my stomach seems to be forcing me...

Guy running it seems very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Happy Halloween !

Here's a goth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Happy Halloween guys!

Did you go to the thing tar? The menu was on my Facebook every time I looked all day long!

• Advertisement

I did go! One of the best meals I've had I'd say, cooked to perfection and the chef was a lovely guy. Off his feet cooking it all, serving it, taking the money etc. I can't believe it was all 12.50, felt like gourmet food to me. The venue itself is really really nice, small french wine bar with great old music, cosy and nice interior, old styled, has a piano to be played and so on.

So I wandered in with my brother (quite the meat-head), I ordered a French wine which came with a plate of breads and mixed oils, lovely. My brother ordered water but was given wine anyway, as I assume water=wine in france. When he said this to the girl serving she didn't seem to get the problem, are you ehhh enjoying it? :D

On to the starter and I had veg tartare with chilli:

a9SO9Sp.jpg

My brother had the aubergine with pesto risotto:

NdTv7u5.jpg

At this point my brohter was surprised by how good it all was.
    For the main this broke down into murmours of "fabulous" and "best food ever"

For my main I had Hot Teryaki Tofu, pneapple+coconut rice with bean salad:

4b6Y6yi.jpg

My brother had hummous, avocado, pickled gherkin, sweet potato cream, seaweed, soya mince burger

G53voWe.jpg

For desert we both had raw chocolate banana cake thing:

NfLYi1b.jpg

Quote from this was "I've never tasted something like this, I want it all in my mouth now"
    It all went down great with the wine (as you can guess a wine bar has good wine)

I really don't know how he is making money with this food or is it to show off his cooking skills as a sample. It was a one night pop up restaurant in the wine bar but seems to be repeated in various places now and again.

As you can tell we were well impressed . :)

Also the place itself is very nice, this was my view, would be a nice place to half a bottle of wine! Nice old style music, sinatra and other stuff I wouldn't have a clue of. has live music etc

QQt8xZz.jpg

Sounds wonderful! Won't miss It next time.

Yep you too can be like this:

tumblr_mfegj9d5nC1qluqhyo1_500.jpg

That looks lovely, they're at this market tomorrow as well......https://www.facebook.com/events/1522510167994222

Fs7RWVh.jpg

vegan breakfast!

I watched that show Mr. Naked, you were very good in it (I've no idea who you were)

It was really interesting though, I didn't know the whole thing worked like that actually. Is there many people in your year?

• Advertisement

I just saw that! Will be popping along tomorrow morning :3

Yeah it's a huge year, like 170! About 100 Irish people and then the Canadians, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Americans.

I wasn't really in it much, just pottering around for a few minutes at the start, I wouldn't do an interview when they asked :p

I just saw that! Will be popping along tomorrow morning :3

Yeah it's a huge year, like 170! About 100 Irish people and then the Canadians, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Americans.

I wasn't really in it much, just pottering around for a few minutes at the start, I wouldn't do an interview when they asked :p

haha I probably wouldn't either, don't like being put on the spot :o It was mostly one guy doing all the interviews in it, he must have been loving it.

woah that is huge, I wish my class was bigger or a bit more mixed at least, think there's about 15 this year. They're such nerdy types as well, when you have a break and the guy beside you takes out a book about a dutch physicist and starts reading rather than speaking to you, that is pushing it :D

Yeah the guy in all the interviews is exactly like that :p

I was home last weekend and my parents had bought a vegetable spiraliser! Was such a pleasant surprise. It's really nice to see, they probably eat totally plant based meals a few times a week now and always when I'm home and it's no problem. My dad was always big into smoothies in the morning (absolutely hideous concuctions of a large variety of vegetables, but the taste doesn't seem to put him off), but has chia seeds and other good stuff in his porridge. My mum doesn't buy cow's milk at all only almond milk and stuff. I'm not really home much so don't know if they've read some books or if I've rubbed off on them or what but it was a nice surprise.

Im not sure if I hate or love listening to this guy, interesting talk nonetheless:

tl;dr, it's about O3/O6 ratio and B12 - why vegans and vegetarians were not living any longer than meat eaters even though they had better cholesterol etc. Further enforcing making sure vegans take care when thinking about what they get from their foods, in particular the possible need to supplement B12.

Dont really know if O3 is helpful for cardiovascular health but would like to know more (It definitely is good for health in general). As far as I had read before, it didn't have any effect on heart problems. But his talk leads to interesting questions hmm.

Also his suggestion of flax seed was before supplements that directly give us EPA/DHA existed, so they are better to supplement with than what he says.

Whats a spiraliser? Sounds good!

Halloween in japan looks like great craic

You just put vegetables into it and it cuts them up into fun things! It's good for salads, you can make noodles and pasta from like, courgettes. So even pasta can be made from vegetables now :p

Yeah the guy in all the interviews is exactly like that :p

I was home last weekend and my parents had bought a vegetable spiraliser! Was such a pleasant surprise. It's really nice to see, they probably eat totally plant based meals a few times a week now and always when I'm home and it's no problem. My dad was always big into smoothies in the morning (absolutely hideous concuctions of a large variety of vegetables, but the taste doesn't seem to put him off), but has chia seeds and other good stuff in his porridge. My mum doesn't buy cow's milk at all only almond milk and stuff. I'm not really home much so don't know if they've read some books or if I've rubbed off on them or what but it was a nice surprise.

heh there's always one.

You probably are rubbing off on them. Last time I was home, my mother was going on about milk, I need calcium bla bla, got so sick of the preaching I had it out with her, explained to her all about milk and health. Then an ad comes on the tv for milk mentioning calcium and she's like...see? >.<

But.....then my sister was home separately about 2 weeks later and she was saying jeezuz mum never stopped preaching to my aunt about how bad milk is. Haaaa she'd never pretend to agree with me in person.

Tar that was the worst tldr sorry!

Fb keeps suggesting vegan metal groups to me haha

Just saw this :(

http://conservativebyte.com/2014/05/metallicas-james-hetfield-narrate-kodiak-bear-hunt/

These guys are utter knobs

8y5Y2Vo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Haha wow. Can't even really be cross about that, it's just pathetic.

Ye you're right, dunno why it even makes me mad, it's such a low tactic

But if someone in Dublin could put on a cow suit and hold a sign outside the shop saying... "I wish I was a burger said no cow ever", I would feel a bit better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

this calls for...

ninja-cow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

funny-angry-cow-excuse-me-call-cheeseburger-pics.jpg

Fridays menu for sova food /drool

QtGqnkV.jpg?1

Think I might go with a friend, it's my birthday Saturday. But neither of us really drink why does this have to be in a wine bar :p

I'll be going along again, will be the person behind you :p

If you were to drink wine, this is the place haha - very nice. I don't like that kinda thing myself, you feel kinda pressured as you pay for the wine and food separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Is this a weekly thing now?

Yeah he said he's gonna be in Paris wine bar every Friday evening.

boards meetup paris wine bar haha

Saw this on the building page today....

"maybe weird but... exchanging vegan food (black lentils stew + potatoes) for a joint! ... im tooo lazy to drive to the border, maybe someone else is too lazy to cook?? "

:pac: That's 2 other vegans I know of in the building, I know where to get rid of all the extra food I cook now!

Yep I'm going to arrange this one of the weeks, been too long since a boards veggie meetup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

€12.50 for 3 courses??? Sounds brilliant!

Advertisement