Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Lidl have 2 types of veggie burgers now, Cauliflower and cheese and their own version of the Birds Eye veggie burgers, both 1.59 for a pack of 4 I think. I got a pack of the cauliflower cheese today, looking forward to trying them at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

anyone going to the world vegetarian day thing in Dublin on Sunday?

https://www.facebook.com/events/439435589593622/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Anyone tried these new bean ranges from Heinz, they're pretty handy as snacks and taste real good.

I've had the chilli beans, tagine chickpeas and dal lentils.

Screen-shot-2014-07-02-at-21.25.33.png

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Anyone tried these new bean ranges from Heinz, they're pretty handy as snacks and taste real good.

I've had the chilli beans, tagine chickpeas and dal lentils.
    I've had the dal one, didn't really like it. It's so easy to make yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Saw this on fb, new ice cream in Dunnes apparently, anyone tried it?

1BHbeIq.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Seen this the other day, dying to try it. It still really frustrates me that Nobo put honey in their ice cream, from the point of view of it being a silly business decision to cut off a huge part of your target market.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Re feeding cats vegan food, I just came across this - mind you, it's crazy that anyone would think this to be a balanced diet for anyone, let alone a carnivorous animal...

279776.jpg

(*I'm just assuming the article is true)

I think any species whose diet consists of only potatoes, rice milk and pasta will run into trouble fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

Love this new ad, always get a smile myself when it comes on. My phone loyalties will remain elsewhere, but it's still nice to see something like this now and then. I guess it reminds me so much of that moment I knew I'd be a veggie when you see the actor look at the pig, make the connection, and see clearly how much better it'd be looking after the animal.

Also, I now kinda want to adopt a pig/guinea pig just to call it 'Piggy Sue', that and because I think they're just awesome in every way!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anywhere people recommend in westport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Restaurant-wise or B&B?

I don't know if it's still there, but I remember staying in a very quirky B&B about 10 years ago, it was maybe 10 minutes' walk away from the centre of town, up a hill. I'm trying to remember the name, I know I still have the business card somewhere, I just can't find it at the moment. I do remember the walls by the porch were sea green, with paintings of mermaids or a seahorses and starfish or something like that. I found it by accident, I got to Westport quite late one night and I stopped hoping to find some accommodation (I hadn't booked anything in advance - big mistake!), so I went for a stroll and ended up finding this place by chance; thankfully the landlady, who was very friendly, had a free room, but despite not having had a chance to shop for my breakfast, she still made me the best vegetarian breakfast I've ever eaten in a guesthouse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wish I needed accommodation, staying in a hotel, was just wondering about places to eat, may have a few contenders!

Ah, ok, then... I wouldn't know about restaurants there, to be honest. Maybe if you post on the Mayo forum someone else there might have some tips for you. :)

Also - sorry, I know my description -no address, no name, information from 10 years ago- wasn't going to help that much anyway... :p

When I was in Westport I couldn't find anything good to eat.

Went to Clifden then after and found a few restaurant/pubs that had veggie options which were easily turned into vegan options, we found delicious vegan fajitas in a place called off the square I think.

I'm from Westport! There's not much other than Sage & Pantry & Corkscrew if you call ahead. There's a couple of other Indians and places where I'm sure you can call ahead to check but not much specifically for vegans. Such a shame the raw café closed.

Cheers!

The hotel said they can cater for me and also found some place called nicholas food emporium

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Comedian Romesh Ranganathan , on becoming Vegan :)

meatcancer.png

What did everyone think of this?

On one hand it is very good to put some people off eating those animals. On the other it is bad because far more chickens and fish die than pigs/cows etc so if demand is driven towards them it will cause even more deaths. However I don't think demand will just flip over like that, people aren't going to change from a fry with rasher/sausage/bacon to chicken or fish for breakfast. Most likely it will be something vegetarian/vegan instead.

Also wish it gave figures for increased consumption of processed meat, yeah two slices of baconare a conservative 18% increase in cancer but everybody that eats processed meat eats way more than that. Look at a typical fry. Rasher, sausages and pudding. A sausage alone can be the weight of 4-8 slices of bacon. 4 typically, 8 for the monster ones. So then you have 6-10 slices + pudding at one meal alone, The you have things like salami and such on food, in sandwiches and so on.

For processed meats in general, this is old news, in fact it was old news over 25 years ago, only back then it was believed that the carcinogenicity was caused for the most part by the nitrates added during their preparation.

Don't get me wrong, anything that stops or at least slows down the killing of animals is good news in my book, but I am worried too about the effect this will have on other animal species used for food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I just read that Guinness will be suitable for veggies as they are to stop using isinglass next year.

That's good considering they sell about 850 million litres per year is it?

I must try this superiority burger, burger of the year being vegan well i never
    http://www.gq.com/story/best-burger-of-the-year-superiority-burger

I seen a big Go Vegan billboard on the side of connolly station this morning. didn't get a picture but it was cool to see.

That is an eden farm sanctuary campaign by sandra higgins, it's on billboards and buses all over dublin and on intercounty buses:
    http://www.edenfarmanimalsanctuary.com/blog/

There are different pictures in the link, here is one:

110315_1456_VeganBusAdC2.jpg

Anyone going to Sova this weekend? Just booked in for next Friday can't wait, menu is looking great again.

12191003_868498659932184_4608260019008543434_n.jpg?oh=b59013950fc9d8258f22ddbeb782d80d&oe=56FAE9FE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I hadn't been there in a while so maybe this is old news but Tesco seem to have a new range of own brand chilled and frozen stuff. A lot of them are mushroom based (risotto, tartlets etc.) and they also have various burgers, vegan fingers and other stuff I can't remember.
    OK price as well @2-3 euro.
    I just got the fingers but haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I got vegan fingers from tesco a while ago and they were lovely!

Are they filled with veg is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. From the packaging they look like fish fingers with mushed up veg in some sort of breadcrumbs.

• Advertisement

Noticed a lot of things being marked vegan lately, things that always were but now they're recognizing the benefits of marketing it as vegan.

It shows veganism is on the rise and businesses are taking note.

Advertisement