Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Drogheda

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just looking for some info.. I am going to be moving to Drogheda in the next week for a job located in southgate shopping centre.. I will be moving on my own and as such I am just looking for some advice on whether there are any 'dodgy' areas or housing estates that i should be avoiding when looking for a place to live?

Any advice on Drogheda in general would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Grange Rath is right beside Southgate and is a nice estate. I would imagine that there should be a good few places to rent there. Any of the estate on the Dublin road are generally OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

Hi appleb,

Thanks for the reply. Ya i saw that estate alright when I went for interview but there are only two sharing ads online that I can find for that estate..the rest are all houses for rent and I dont have the time to find housemates..

The two ads for Grane Rath are reasonable enough money wise but I have seen places online for cheaper and they seem to be grand also..thats why it occured to me to check the areas out.

I am currently looking at house shares in bryanstown manor and Knockbrack Downs, do you know those places?

Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Byranstown manor is fine. New enough so a lot of young families and that.
    Have you a car?
    Southgate to bryanstown is a bit of a trek to be doing twice a day and the town bus service only goes as far as bryanstown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Bryanstown is quite close by and relatively new development so should be grand. Knockbrack is a little further but if you are driving that should not be a prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

Ya I have a car...I was looking at the maps and it didnt seem that far..maybe I was reading them wrong? Did you mean walking wise?

Thats great anyway. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

appleb wrote: »
    Grange Rath is right beside Southgate and is a nice estate. I would imagine that there should be a good few places to rent there. Any of the estate on the Dublin road are generally OK.

Its one of the last places in Drogheda i would want to live tbh , big soulless kip full of people who would get lost if they passed the black bull on there way into Drogheda . The quality of the houses if terrible also , paper thin walls .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

CMpunked wrote: »
    Southgate to bryanstown is a bit of a trek to be doing twice a day...

:D Please let me disgaree - it's about a mile, if that, and OP could probably do it in a few minutes if he bikes it. About the same distance between Connolly station and say Jervis Center.

If you use your car for this commute daily, you might damage the car as it wouldn't have had a chance to warm up before you get to your destination.

PS: +1 to suggestions about estates along Dublin road. You should have no problem finding a place. If you don't want to live too close to work and would like to drive a bit, check estates around Bettystown, Julianstown etc - easy drive and no traffic; but only if you really don't want to live near work.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

You could look for Stameen lawns and Five oaks, also Beaubec and Roschoill. All of these are a bit closer for walking than Bryanstown, proably only ten minutes each way. They are also older estates.

Bryanstown has lots of duplex/ townhouse style accomodation and knockbrack downs is a bit of a trek. There are

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its one of the last places in Drogheda i would want to live tbh , big soulless kip full of people who would get lost if they passed the black bull on there way into Drogheda . The quality of the houses if terrible also , paper thin walls .

Do you actually know many people who live in Grange Rath? I have lived there since 2004 and think you are making a rather big generalisation, combined with the fact you mention that the residents wouldn't know anywhere North of the Black Bull seems that you maybe have the Dublin blown in mentality. Correct me if I'm am wrong but thats what I take from your comment.

In relation to it being a 'soulless kip', you couldn't be more wrong. There is a very active residents association with massive BBQ's each Summer along with bouncy castles, as well as Halloween and Christmas parties for the kids. The management company actually do a great job on maintaining the estate and in relation to the build quality, I have had no issues with my house nor have I heard of issues with any of my neighbours. You may be thinking of Deepforde which is a different builder, as I know a lot of people complain about the noise levels in that estate.

Yes, its a big estate, but its size does not necessarily mean that what is within is sterile as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

delly wrote: »
    Do you actually know many people who live in Grange Rath? I have lived there since 2004 and think you are making a rather big generalisation, combined with the fact you mention that the residents wouldn't know anywhere North of the Black Bull seems that you maybe have the Dublin blown in mentality. Correct me if I'm am wrong but thats what I take from your comment.

In relation to it being a 'soulless kip', you couldn't be more wrong. There is a very active residents association with massive BBQ's each Summer along with bouncy castles, as well as Halloween and Christmas parties for the kids. The management company actually do a great job on maintaining the estate and in relation to the build quality, I have had no issues with my house nor have I heard of issues with any of my neighbours. You may be thinking of Deepforde which is a different builder, as I know a lot of people complain about the noise levels in that estate.

Yes, its a big estate, but its size does not necessarily mean that what is within is sterile as a result.

I actually know lots of people who live in grange rath , and have stayed there myself for a while . You are totally correct about the Dublin blow in comment , lots of them i met had no idea what the streets of Drogheda are called :confused: and they have been living there for years :eek: They turn left towards dub and never into town . Walls where paper thin in the house i was in also . I am happy for you if you like the place , its just not somewhere i would live or either recommend to anyone looking for advice of houses in Drogheda . Lots of lovely places in the town itself i would prefer .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well its fair enough if you have direct experience. I know for me I might have been the same some years back, but since having kids its a different story. I'd be in library most weeks along with visiting the playground if the weather was good, and its these type of trips that enable you to meet up with other parents.

Personally speaking I could never see myself moving back down South again. Which is a good thing I suppose, as I think most of us won't able to move for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

positron wrote: »
    :D Please let me disgaree - it's about a mile, if that, and OP could probably do it in a few minutes if he bikes it. About the same distance between Connolly station and say Jervis Center.

Wearing my pedantic hat for just a sec, it is just over 2k from Bryanstown Manor to Southgate shopping centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Wearing my pedantic hat for just a sec, it is just over 2k from Bryanstown Manor to Southgate shopping centre!

Ah but it's all downhill though, both ways! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I don't like Grange Rath, I loved the fields that used to be there, spent half me childhood in them :(

The walls are paper thin in the houses when compared to others, I feel sorry for anyone who paid mad money for those big ones at the front, must be worth feck all now.

The estate, while too big imo, is grand though, some nice people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

i work around the area and grange rath is a bit soul less and its massive ,parts of it is beside the shopping centre ,but the outer edges of it could take a good 20 mins to walk it .
    bryanstown and knockbrackdowns are ok but there mostly rental propertys and tennents tend to come and go a lot .
    stameen is right beside southgate its an older estate and a lot of people there own there houses the same with beaubec ,, only a 15 min walk away ,, so if your after a bit of paece and quiet id recomend them .

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Hi,
    Try the local papers, Drogheda Independent and Drogheda Leader (Free).
    They sometimes have ads for accommodation.
    see this weeks Leader. P. 37
    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=m09M8T1tX1i7&PBID=eb89a4df-82ca-4255-b3ba-e3bfbcabe3b0&skip=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you can find something in Stameen, you would be doing well too.
    Good quiet estate.

Advertisement