Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first geko??

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

My daughter is fasinated by snakes and lizards and is pleading with me to get her some gekos, now I have lots of experience with dogs ,cats ,rats, hamsters and fish but I have never had any gekos, so I'm wondering where do I start , do they make a good first time pet and what size vivarium would I need..Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Depends on what kind of geckos you want to go with. Best to start with fattails or leopard geckos (leopards are the most readily available). Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are probably the best starter lizards as they rarely bite and they get quite accustomed to being handled. Leopard geckos need a vivarium of at least 2 feet, though preferably 3. You can probably get a good sized viv for cheap enough on the buy and sell sites. In regards the animals themselves, I would reccommend rescuing one. There is an unreal amount of lizards needing homes in the country because people get them without knowing how to look after them, and if you check out Reptile Rescue/Rehome Ireland you will most likely be able to find someone looking to rehome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

a good size rub will do for a leo, no lights or anything needed , only a heat mat,

i am a keeper of bearded dragons, leo's , snakes , if you wanna know anything just shoot me a pm , ill be glad to help ya out

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

thanks folks for all the advice we'll have do a bit more research before we go ahead but she's mad keen on them..

Advertisement