Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I was robbed and now I need your help replacing my make up! Help please :)

• 17-10-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Heya guys!
    I was recently robbed and unfortunately had all my fave make up products and brushes in the bag. It sounds kinda funny but out of everything that was stolen (bank cards, keys, passport, mp3 player etc) it's my make up that's been really missed. Some of the products were quite expensive so I can't buy it all back straight away.

Included in the loss was:
    Clinique tinted moisturiser (I adore it!)
    Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara
    17 - Nude Palette
    Nivea Lip Care
    Bourjois Khol Pencil
    Ruby and Millie Eye Liner brush
    Foundation Brush (Can't remember the brand but it was great)
    Clinique Nude Lip Gloss
    Urban Decay Eye Primer

They were sort of my 'staple' make up items so it is weird being without them. I will buy the moisturiser soon but I need alternatives for the others until I have money again. So any suggestions for the mascara and particularly the nice eye shadow palette would be so appreciated?
    I know there are cheap make up items everywhere but I still want some with good, proper pigments that won't cake or fade like the cheaper brands tend to sometimes do.
    Your help would be great!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That's awful! It's horrible to have to replace all of your things.

I'd suggest trying to get some of the replacements in boots. You'd get a 7.50 voucher or two and you could use those to replace some of your stuff (with no7 products though).

Anyways, I've used Maybelline colossal waterproof mascara and find it as good as the big fatty. Not for everyone but I like it.

Essence do an eye primer. It looks a lot like the smashbox one. No harm to try it out for under 5 before splashing out again.

Your nivea, 17 and bourjois stuff should be easy to replace. Don't know if you'd get much cheaper.. Revlon do nice palettes and they're good quality but think 17 would be cheaper.

I find revlon lip glosses good cos they've got good pigmentation and they last well.

Clinique in debenhams are doing a free gift thing now though so if you're repurchasing your moisturiser you might get one. It's got a lip stain or something and a neutral eye palette in it.

If you were to get a few no 7 vouchers, you could try their foundation brush. I quite like it although I'm not the biggest fan of their brushes. Other than that, I think the eco tools ones are good.

Hopefully you'll get everything sorted that was taken soon :)

They are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

kandr10 wrote: »
    Clinique in debenhams are doing a free gift thing now though so if you're repurchasing your moisturiser you might get one. It's got a lip stain or something and a neutral eye palette in it.

Ah! Bingo! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I will go into Debenhams tomorrow and have a look, that'd be amazing!!! :D

I have never tried Revlon stuff actually so will give that a go. I've already replaced my bourjois stuff as it isn't really pricey and the nivea stuff too but the 17 nude palette was limited edition so I will definitely check out Revlon for something similar. Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

I can totally see where you're coming from. If my handbag was stolen and I had some of my makeup in it, I would really miss it. Especially expensive stuff that you've spent a while building up.

Essence Mascara's are good, although I only use them when I am waiting to get paid to afford a better one. My sister bought a Models Own foundation brush in Boots the other day for 14 euro and she thinks its good, I recently bought Rimmels new lipgloss and I found it really good. Eye Shadow is a tough one, I'm really particular. Revlon, Maybelline and and Rimmel are all too boring for me. I have bought Barry M's eyeshadows before though and they're good, the Model's Own ones look good too. Rimmel eyeliner is good too, used to use it years ago, I think it was the soft kohl one. I find Bourjois blushers good too. Most of my makeup is quite expensive but I use a bronzer that I bought in Penneys and its brilliant. Cost me like 3 euro or something ages ago and I still have loads left. It's not the Essence or Catrice brand, its the other one with the kind of funky packaging.

Thank you MiniSquish, I have never heard of Models Own, can you please tell me where they are stocked so I can have a look? I really am just looking for a few cheaper alternatives until I build back up my proper stuff.
    I adore Barry M stuff myself but they can be pretty pricey.

I see Essence and Catrice LOOK like pretty good products but they are very cheap, are they any good? What's their longevity like on the skin? Are the pigments good?

Thanks a million for the help, it gives me a much clearer idea for when I'm shopping tomorrow. :D

Models Own is in Boots, well it is in Galway anyway. I have only used Essence mascara's, and I haven't used Catrice at all. If you're buying foundation I would suggest getting a middling price range one rather than an Essence or Catrice one though. I've heard they're not great. Revlon have a good foundation. I think its called Photo Finish or something.

• Advertisement

Also when I came back from holidays last month I was pretty broke and needed a new base colour eyeshadow. I ended up buying one of the Isa Dora Quad Shadow palettes- one of the brown ones. I find it really good. The colours are good and they are long lasting. They're also only about twelve euro tops. I think they may have been even cheaper than that. There's loads of different colour options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Poor you! What an awful thing to happen :(

I really recommend Essence mascaras - the False Lashes one (in a black and green tube) is very good and lasts well. With regards brushes, Ecotools ones are great. You can get them in Boots and they cost around 7 euro. I'm not sure of an alternative for the UD Primer Potion (I've never used another one because I love it so much :P), but I do know Essence has one called I <3 Stage. Not sure how good it is though, I've just seen it on the stands. I like the Rimmel Royal Glosses, but I'm not sure if they do a nude colour...

Poor you! What an awful thing to happen :(

I really recommend Essence mascaras - the False Lashes one (in a black and green tube) is very good and lasts well. With regards brushes, Ecotools ones are great. You can get them in Boots and they cost around 7 euro. I'm not sure of an alternative for the UD Primer Potion (I've never used another one because I love it so much :P), but I do know Essence has one called I <3 Stage. Not sure how good it is though, I've just seen it on the stands. I like the Rimmel Royal Glosses, but I'm not sure if they do a nude colour...

Ah, happy to hear that about Essence mascaras, they are deffo cheap and cheerful. Might get one to keep me going until I get paid. Thank you!! :D

Well... I stupidly ended up spending money I absolutely don't have and instead of buying cheap replacements of my old make up, ended up buying at benefit and urban decay.

I will pay for this by living off noodles til payday.

(in my defense, the naked palette is VERY good value and will mean I won't need to buy eye shadows for aaaaages) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Isolt wrote: »
    Well... I stupidly ended up spending money I absolutely don't have and instead of buying cheap replacements of my old make up, ended up buying at benefit and urban decay.

I will pay for this by living off noodles til payday.

(in my defense, the naked palette is VERY good value and will mean I won't need to buy eye shadows for aaaaages) :o

I bought the Naked Palette about 2 months ago and I pretty much haven't used any other eye product since. I think it's totally worth the money. You can do a natural eye, a smoky eye, it has shimmer... It's just suitable for everything.

I think you were right to sort of splurge on something you'll use a lot as opposed to buying lots of cheaper things you'd probably rarely use. That's how I justify these kinda purchases! :)

Sorry to hear about your make up being stolen btw, that's so horrible.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    I think you were right to sort of splurge on something you'll use a lot as opposed to buying lots of cheaper things you'd probably rarely use. That's how I justify these kinda purchases! :)

Hahaha this is exactly what I told myself too. I figured I might as well spend the e40 for all those shadows and the primer and given the brush itself costs e20 individually, I am just telling myself that it was the sensible option to ultimately save money in the long run :p:o

As for buying 'They're Real' today, I actually love it and at least I will use it all the time rather than me spending a tenner today on a cheapy one I won't like using only to spend the e24 on 'They're Real' after payday.

So I saved money really..........

... really.. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

You're dead right! Spoil yourself. You covered your brush, primer potion and got loads of shadows for 40! Sometimes it pays off in the long term to spend a bit more :)

Advertisement