Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Carlsberg did cycling events ....

• 17-10-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Looking for feedback to create a cycling event next year in terms of what would really make a brilliant event. The various An Post events all have their own various characteristics that appeal to cyclists of all levels as do Wicklow 100 / 200, ROK and so many more local events

What would cyclists like to see in an event that they were designing for next year e.g. is timing important, category prizes e.g. gold, silver bronze, KOM or QOM, food stops, medal at the end or are there any really innovative or mad but good things you have seen nationally or overseas at events.

What are the basic requirements (marshalls, food stops etc) and what would have cyclists really talking about in terms of creating a great event.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grilled meat at the finish.

And by that I don't mean "burger van".

:cough: Orwell Randonee :cough:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Looking for feedback to create a cycling event next year in terms of what would really make a brilliant event. The various An Post events all have their own various characteristics that appeal to cyclists of all levels as do Wicklow 100 / 200, ROK and so many more local events

What would cyclists like to see in an event that they were designing for next year e.g. is timing important, category prizes e.g. gold, silver bronze, KOM or QOM, food stops, medal at the end or are there any really innovative or mad but good things you have seen nationally or overseas at events.

What are the basic requirements (marshalls, food stops etc) and what would have cyclists really talking about in terms of creating a great event.

A few don'ts (fresh from the Etape Cymru a couple of weeks ago):

Don't:
    - bother with trying to run a closed road event (too much hassle to organise, and locals will never fully comply)
    - skimp on the marshalling
    - neglect to provide a downloadable, accurate route (Garmin gpx/tcx) on the website beforehand
    - send the riders down minor roads at the start - keep the roads as wide as possible for as long as possible, preferably with a hill - this naturally sorts out the grouping by ability as early as possible
    - run out of food & water at the stops, including the start - if necessary, have the staff hand out stuff rather than allowing the plague of locusts to pillage the supplies themselves.

Timing is a nice-to-have, but quite bothersome and expensive to put in place, and redundant in the age of the Lidl bike computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Lumen wrote: »
    Grilled meat at the finish.

And by that I don't mean "burger van".

:cough: Orwell Randonee :cough:

Ha ha. If that'd been a mobile branch of Jo'Burger instead, I would have cried with happiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

A good photographer could make a few bob as well if he is placed in the right position and can take a good action shot I am sure people would not mind paying a reasonable rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

oflahero wrote: »

Don't:
    - bother with trying to run a closed road event (too much hassle to organise, and locals will never fully comply)
    - skimp on the marshalling
    - neglect to provide a downloadable, accurate route (Garmin gpx/tcx) on the website beforehand
    - send the riders down minor roads at the start - keep the roads as wide as possible for as long as possible, preferably with a hill - this naturally sorts out the grouping by ability as early as possible
    - run out of food & water at the stops, including the start - if necessary, have the staff hand out stuff rather than allowing the plague of locusts to pillage the supplies themselves.

Timing is a nice-to-have, but quite bothersome and expensive to put in place, and redundant in the age of the Lidl bike computer.

I did the Etape Hibernia this year, the locals did comply with the closed roads, and it really did add to the day. It made it much more enjoyable, no fear of coming round a corner (at speed) and meeting a car, or no need to slow down on a climb as you catch slower cyclists because you see a tight corner coming and are afraid to overtake. I am from the area, and cycling on those roads can be quite risky at times, closed roads are a definite plus. The Etape Hibernia is more expensive that most other events, but to be honest, I would definitely have no problem spending the extra few euro to enter a closed road event. The major drawback for the Etape Hibernia is the requirement to register the previous evening, this adds to the cost of the event as you have to organise accommodation etc, closed roads and early morning registration and I'm there......

I agree with everything else you say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Mullingar and Tullamore clubs organised theirs by 'ability': i.e. they had a fast group (30km/h), which went off first, and a slower group (25km/h) then left a few mins later. I thought this was a good idea.

Also, with the Tullamore spin (and i think with one in Naas earlier in the year), they had a group of motorcycle riders (possibly a local club), covering all the junctions. The lads had a blast zipping up and down on the bikes, so it worked well for everyone :)

Lead car is important too of course.

Also - after belting around for 100 or 120km or whatever, it is a bit of a downer to come back to an empty gaa club carpark or whatever. The Leinster Loop and the An Post Meath tours had a whole big finishline thing going on. I thought that was a great idea.

Just my 2c ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Showers are great after a spin - especially if you have to get into the car afterwards to drive an hour home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

andy69 wrote: »
    Also - after belting around for 100 or 120km or whatever, it is a bit of a downer to come back to an empty gaa club carpark or whatever. The Leinster Loop and the An Post Meath tours had a whole big finishline thing going on. I thought that was a great idea.
    Just my 2c ... ;)

yep the anpost tours had nice finishes, lap the lough just came round a corner the barked at for going too fast wtf (although to be fair the marshalls must have been pretty tired but i was in fairly early )
    reilig wrote: »
    Showers are great after a spin - especially if you have to get into the car afterwards to drive an hour home :)

yeh showers are nice (never found at lap the lough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Showers are very important.

Hot food is great. Grilled meat is a great idea. But a good curry, stew or chilli is great after an event.
    At the eatpe Ras Mumhan this year there was a beautiful rich beef stew. At the event run by Naas CC at in April Tour de Foothills there was a really nice chicken curry.

Finally I really dislike very early starts. IMHO, unless daylight hours are at a premium there is no need for an event to begin before 9.30am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think a Medal is a nice touch.

Other than that good food stops, staffed with friendly people, coupled with good marshalling is the best recipe for success.

Edit: and hot food of a decent nature at the end*

* WW200 food does not qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Race radios. You can probably pick up a bargain.

A finish line, with bells and whistles. The buzz at the end of the Etape Hibernia was great.

Also, they had a nice downhill stretch just before the end. Perfect for glory sprints when you are shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

IMO, The Most important items are:

1. The Route
    2. Good Marshalling
    3. Accurate Road signs at un-manned minor junctions
    4. Breakdown assistance/Ambulance
    5. Water Stops at appropriate locations ( Water stops at the top of hills)
    6. Food - Good Food at the finish.

And if you can....

Nice Weather! (not too warm, not too cold)

Oh a Free pint of Carlsberg at the finish would be nice!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

I havent done any big events yet but my local GAA club did a charity cycle that they hope to expand and do better next year thanks to its success.

They had a squad car for the first half at the front for major junctions.

Out riders on motorbikes for all others.

A half way stop with energy bars/biccies/water etc

Now there were a few bits not so good, the squad car held people up a bit too much, there was no grouping (the GAA lads went off like lunatics lol) and people got dropped on there own.

From other events Ive done 10k runs etc, a entrance pack with details, sports drink and a t shirt is nice. I kinda like collecting the t shirts. I know the TOK had them the year I did the 20K section (big mistake I made)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Speed,
    Clear signs,
    Burger Van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sunshine :)

(not that you can count on that...)

If you are doing it a good idea would be to involve the local Gardai, ask if they will provide a car or bikers for the first dozen or 2 km to ride out front and control junctions, the helping hand run in Athy did this in combination with biker marshals and it was great. No need to worry about junctions at the start when there's lots and lots of bunched cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

oflahero wrote: »

Don't:

+1 to the above. Allowing the hoards access to the pasta/sangers/soup/etc leaves nothing for those that turn up a little bit later. If budgets dictates, food should be rationed accordingly (i.e. Being more Ryanair :) - If you didn't pay for it, you don't get it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Nothing to add to the above expect maybe

- A Mavic Car/motorbike
    - A team car with driver shouting allez allez allez
    - Overhead helicopter taking VT
    - Didi
    - Cycle passion photoshoot along the way
    - Some crazy looneys with an Irish flags and a leprechaun hats running in from of me on the climbs.

That will be all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some of those 'sticky' bottles that are only handed out of a team cars on hills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you're giving out medals, make sure you've enough to go around. If you promise to post medals to people who didn't get one, post them out. Better still, forget the medals altogether, and provide a jersey. One for each person that enters please, available at either the start or finish will do.

Oh, and missus Daragh honking the horn at the top of the steepest hill, just to remind us we haven't died and failed to make heaven.

Alternatively, just go to the Orwell Randonee next year and take notes. And collect recipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Despite the fact that I have tons of them a good decent quality medal is always appreciated. Tour of Louth this year with the different finishing times i.e. Platnum, Gold, Silver, bronze at bottom was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

LCD wrote: »
    Despite the fact that I have tons of them a good decent quality medal is always appreciated. Tour of Louth this year with the different finishing times i.e. Platnum, Gold, Silver, bronze at bottom was nice.

My kids certainly love a new medal coming into the house to play with, I get to wear it for a few poses and then it goes straight into the dress up box. Seeing as I don't do much serious competing at anything anymore, sportives are probably the most likely source of new tin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

Based on the widely held and agreed belief that a cyclist 'can never have enough gear' - other than a jersey what could an event consider giving to participants as a momento.

what percentage of people actually sign up to do an event based on getting a jersey? no Jersey in European events?

Advertisement