Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Moving to Toronto

Options
  • 17-10-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey there everybody! I am new to this so not sure if I am even doing this right. My name is Thomas. I am from Tipperary in Ireland and I am looking to move to Toronto to live and work for at least a year (hopefully more seems as how hard it is to get work here now). I am a fully qualified Carpenter and would love to know if anyone out there can help me in anyway possible ie good agencies to contact, what areas are the best for construction work so on and so forth. Any help would be very very much appreciated :)
    Also, I am moving on my own and am kinda freaking out about a place to live for the first while anyway and was wondering if anyone knew good places to move that won't get me killed ;0 and even where to go to meet new people and friends.
    I really hope someone out there can help me, a lot of people have told me how helpful people can be on this :)
    Thanks and I hope to hear back soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fayco

Hey, when are you thinking of Moving? Me and my boyfriend are moving in January and like you we are worried about all the stuff you mentioned! we are from Cavan and Monaghan and should stay in contact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 shanks00001

Yeah I know it is kinda scary when you think about it! Hopefully it will be worth it in the long run! Whereabouts are ye thinking about moving?
    I am not sure when I am moving either the beginning of Dec or Jan I would think but as I said i am not sure?

we are moving to Toronto, we know 2 friends that moved out in September just gone by and they seem to be getting on great. I'm sure it will all work out hopefully! I am a music teacher and my boyfriend a journalist but we're thinking of taking whatever work comes our way being honest!

Yeah it seems to be the way to go. Have ye started looking into areas to move or jobs yet? I am going to be looking for construction work so hopefully the 2 to 3 hours light that we will get this time of year over there won't hinder that.

Yes, hopefully not! We are trying to build up contacts before we go over as apparently that's the best way to get jobs out there, we are keeping an eye on the jobs advertised as well, but as of yet we have not applied for any. In relation to where we want to live, we are hoping to live in the downtown area and not too far North of the Annex area, but we realise this could be very pricey so that may change when we get out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnnyBomb

Im also planning on going over in january or february! like yourself im a tiler so i will be looking at construction jobs. Have two friends over there now who seem to be just doing bar work as they would have no trade, they say construction is easy to get into if your irish and have your craft cert. just wondering how you's might of sorted out flights, visas, accom etc?

we went with airtransat flying from Manchester, 210 sterling for one way flight! we went with the IEC visa also and accommodation we are thinking of leaving til we get out there as we have 2 friends already gone over that we could stay with temporarily if needs be

Yeah flights one way aren't too bad there are always deals to be had. I also got the IEC visa but I think that they are finished taking people in for this year. They only have a certain amount of places to be given to Irish every year and when they fill their quota they close their doors(I think that is why they haven't really had a recession like we did!). I am not sure whether they are taking applications just yet for 2012 but it would be worth a look.
    Here is the link...

http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/intro_incoming-intro_entrant.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

When I applied after filling out the forms it took about 6 to 8 weeks to both be approved and for them to receive my payment (which is about 110 euro or that)
    As for construction jobs, I hear that there are a good few jobs but it is hard to apply for them while here because Toronto is a big place and unless you have a car straight away over there you will have to try move and live in a place that is close to your work.

Yeh see thats the thing i drive here but havent a breeze on the situation with driving over there! yeh we got flights with trailfinders was €600 with a stopover in new york for 5 days and then on up to toronto and also they gave you a flexible return flight which can be used within a year which would always be handy to have if you couldnt get work, we felt this was ok cause we would get to see new york too and could just stay with a friend. checked with usit and they have closed there visas for the moment and werent sure when they would be opening 2012 visa applications. just trying to figure out what type of visa would be best too!

Yeah, that's not so bad at all. I wouldn't book flights though before you have the visa sorted out first. Just in case they look for more than just payment, sometimes they can look for a medical too. Who will you be heading over with? My advice for you is to get the IEC visa because you can travel and work at the same time which is handy if you can't get work in one place. I don't know a whole pile myself just trying to pick it up as I go along. The other thing that I know about driving over there is that you can only drive on your Irish license for 6 months so if you plan on staying longer you will have to apply for a driving permit for Canada. As far as I know this lasts for more than a year and you have to apply for it in Ireland before you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeh see thats the thing i drive here but havent a breeze on the situation with driving over there!

Ireland is one of the countries Canada does not have an agreement with, with regards to swapping in your licence for a provincial one, meaning that you have to do the test.

Ive been lazy about it as I don't need a car (yet), but I believe that foreigners with out of country licenses like us are fast tracked through the process, meaning you dont have to do the whole learners permit ****e, but you still have restrictions (g2 license - no freeways etc).,After a year on this, you can get your full license.

Be warned though, car insurance is horrendously expensive over here

To be honest the driving side of things wont bother me as such because im sure canada must have a decent public transport system, two my mates seem to be getting on fine and they've never drove here even before. yeh cheers for thats shanks im gonna look into the visas now first.

Do you know any job websites? or whats best for lads looking to get into trades. my first option is to hopefully keep up the tiling but if all comes to all i would do any type of job! i know for oz there is some company here which can sort your job out before you head over.

i dont know any specific for trades, but the government run jobbank seems to always have a lot of jobs. Like a lot of things over here though, its easier when youre here and talking to people and making connections etc. others are workopolis, monster, manpower, and probably loads of toronto-specific job agencies

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.aspx?CmmGrp=GON033&Categ=7*&OpPage=50&Stdnt=No

^Theres a search for trades/transport/construction in the toronto area...have a look and see if its any use

To be honest, I am in the same boat with work. I would love to get work and a place to stay before getting over there but I would say that it will be next to near impossible without being there first. I hope to not have to drive myself as well (for the first while anyway)
    When you say insurance is expensive, how expensive are you talking about?
    Well roughly?!?

Yeh well for me from talking to the lads i know there they said any type of work you should find something within a week. Accomodation is the biggest worry for me now really im just wondering mainly on where to stay (i.e areas, share houses, apartments etc.) if anyone knew anything about these? id rather have a place sorted before i go so least you wouldnt have to be jumping from different hostels with bags and that.

re: insurance

much like home, it all depends on what car/truck etc, but throw on a couple of thousand to what youd expect. I dont own a car, so just used a 05 golf as a test with a few insurers...got a couple of quotes ranging from $2200-$5000 for the year!!!

Although since i started working, i can get it for $1300 for the year thgouh the company, which is a lot better.

My god that is a lot!! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you??

I agree about the hostels too, not much fun bringing all your stuff from one place to the next! I am mad to find a place to live nearly first over anything else!

My god that is a lot!! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you??

I agree about the hostels too, not much fun bringing all your stuff from one place to the next! I am mad to find a place to live nearly first over anything else!

27, although only been driving for 5 years (clean license).

and hostels have their upsides too, a lot of people there in similar situations, fresh off the plane, can be easier to meet people, sort out roommates or a flat together, everyone pooling what-they-know together.

Yeh i suppose your right there maybe hostels are the best way after all, just sometimes i feel there not the safest way especially with all you stuff. is cost of living cheap?

It can be.
    Im not in Toronto, but I think it would be comparable, if not more expensive than dublin. It all depends on where you are and what you do.
    rent, eating out & drinking can be expensive, but like everywhere you just need to suss out what you can afford & where to go. I find shopping (food, clothes, electronics), utilities are quite cheap over here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jamartin

My own daughter and a friend of hers are of to Toronto end of October one way flights ,they have a friend out there already going to stay with her for week or 2 till find own place been Emailing a few of craiglist apartments and getting replies ,i told tthem to do nothing till they are out there ,sad to see so many leaving but unfortunately has to be done i hope ye all find accomodation and good jobs when ye go ye deserve it for taking the tough decision to go

Yeah maybe you are right about the hostels? I can see where you are coming from and it probably would be the easiest way to find new friends! And also I think you are right about sussing everything out, maybe keep our heads down for the first month and try get work and a place to live first!
    Jamartin- do you know what part of Toronto the girls are heading? I only ask because that is the first decision I have to make. I mean it is a pretty big city and would hate to try start off in the wrong area!

Jamartin- do you know what part of Toronto the girls are heading? I only ask because that is the first decision I have to make. I mean it is a pretty big city and would hate to try start off in the wrong area!

Yeh id be the same on that it be like coming to dublin and living somewhere too far like even in county dublin that mitent have the best of public transport or living arrangements! its a tough time of year to start lookin, you seem to get most info around april or may! theres alot to sort out when you think about it really!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

Hey wats up folks.

Im 27 yr old lad heading Canada in the New Year. Well that's the plan providing the new VISA programme comes out.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to Toronto or Calgary yet. Basically I'll go wherever the work is.

Wouldn't mind making some contact son here and maybe look to rent with some Irish people when I arrive so feel free to give me a shout etc.

It's a waiting game now, wish I was goin tomorrow haha

Yeah maybe you are right about the hostels? I can see where you are coming from and it probably would be the easiest way to find new friends! And also I think you are right about sussing everything out, maybe keep our heads down for the first month and try get work and a place to live first!

Hi ,the daughter friend is outside the city t the minute ,but they will be locating to Downtown area of city according to my daughter my she heads over.

jamartin wrote: »
    Hi ,the daughter friend is outside the city t the minute ,but they will be locating to Downtown area of city according to my daughter my she heads over.
    cheers thanks any little help is much appreciated :)

cheers thanks any little help is much appreciated :)

Not a bother will post up more info when she gets over there and informs me of things she leaves 1st november

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

jamartin wrote: »
    Not a bother will post up more info when she gets over there and informs me of things she leaves 1st november

pure sad to have to split from your family, I know we got the interphone with vid but I left in 85 came back in 92 now i need to leave again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Hey All,

Also moving to Toronto, booking my flight at the weekend, and flying on 3rd January.

Like a few of you, am also going on my own, so any suggestions on hostels to stay in, accomodation/areas to live in, jobs available etc, would be much appreciated!

Also, would be well up for meeting people heading over on their own for a few beers also. If anyone is heading over roughly around the same time as me, feel free to get in touch!

• Advertisement

hey yeah I am hoping to move around the same time too but haven't booked flights yet. Would love to meet up for a few beer and see if I can break the ice over there!! Excuse the pun!

Advertisement