Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Moving to Toronto

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Good stuff. Was pricing flights there, cheapest I can see is €541 for a one way flight from shannon via heathrow. That's with Skyscanner on January 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

im going home for xmas, flying back to canada on NYE, as trying to fly on the 1/2/3 is costing way too much.
    Look at midweek (tues-thurs) flights, they should be a lot cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cherries

Hello all!

Planning to head to Toronto with a friend end of April / early May, next year. I was wondering if anyone knows the full cost of applying through the IEC and if theres a big difference between applying with USIT and IEC ?

Another few questions regarding securing somewhere to live:

1). What would the cost of a nice 2 or 3 bed apartment in central Toronto cost?

2). I've heard most apartments are unfurnished! Does unfurnished mean I have to purchase everything from beds to sofas to fridge?

3). Is furniture expensive? What kind of spending would we be talking about to kit out a 3 bed apartment?

4.) I've also been told that one normally pays a security deposit and the first and last month rent when renting an apartment. Is this true and what kind of sum are we talking about here?

The following information scares me a little as it was my plan to bring only about €4000 with me and it sounds like I would nearly need that much money to sort out somewhere to live now.

Any tips / info greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

1) About $1500+ a month at least downtown. Its not cheap
    2) Most flats are unfurnished, but they will have a fridge, stove/cooker, microwave - Depends on who you're renting from. Youll need to buy everything else.
    3) You can get loads of cheap second hand furniture on kijij or craigslist, so cost would dependent on how 'fancy' you want to be
    4) yup, usually a month's rent in advance.

seriously, unless there 4-5 of you coming over, theres not a hope in hell you will be able to live in in a 2 bed downtown on $4000, never mind a 3. The more people you have to split the rent the better. Plus, move a few ks out the road, then rent can fall dramaitcally (compared to downtown).

and screw usit, much cheaper to do it all yourself, and not much more complicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Corkman In Toronto

First of all, as far as I know, you will not be able to apply with USIT next year which is a good thing. IEC cost is only €110 or something. Health/Travel Insurance is a requirement and will cost you €220 from blueinsurance.ie. USIT will rip you off for everything anyway.

$1500 dollars for a 2 - 3 bed downtown is about right but there really is no need to live right downtown due to the excellent transit system. Just get somewhere on the transport lines.

Nearly all places are unfurnished but they WILL have basic appliances i.e. Fridge and Cooker. Buy a bed/mattress from IKEA for about $300. You'll get a sofa for less than $100 on Craigslist. You'll sort out the rest of the basics for $200 max.

In Ontario, the law states that a Landlord can only ask for 1st and last months rent on taking up the lease. It is against the law to take anymore. So depending on how many people are paying rent it wont be too bad.

After paying all that, you'd want another 3 to 4 thousand dollars to survive until you get a job. If you had 5000 euro going over you'd be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Noticing a lot of folk planning to fly to Toronto during January.

Really crap month to land here, the cold is vicous and the snow is a pain.

Buy a decent winter jacket as soon as you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

myself and a friend will be in Toronto for 6 days in March, so if you are talking to 2 fellas from Limerick who are extremely drunk on Paddys day over there, then chances are thats us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

fat__tony wrote: »
    Noticing a lot of folk planning to fly to Toronto during January.

Really crap month to land here, the cold is vicous and the snow is a pain.

Buy a decent winter jacket as soon as you arrive.

I would be one of them! Doesn't sound ideal, but sure things can only get better as time goes on then!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fayco

Did you move to Canada in the end?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 eoghanmiggan

Hey guys, I'm hoping to move to canada in June and check it out for the possibility of living there for a few years, but I don't want to pay the cash for a year long visa and then get there and leave after 3 months. So I have a few questions if anyone could help me

1. Can I walk into Canada off a plane without a visa and just visit it as a tourist for 3 months?
    2. If I decide I like it, and I apply for a job there whilst still visiting and then get the job, Can the company who want to hire me sponsor me for a visa? and if so are there any technicalities with having to go home first?

Any help would be great, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 combi

Hey there everybody! I am new to this so not sure if I am even doing this right. My name is Thomas. I am from Tipperary in Ireland and I am looking to move to Toronto to live and work for at least a year (hopefully more seems as how hard it is to get work here now). I am a fully qualified Carpenter and would love to know if anyone out there can help me in anyway possible ie good agencies to contact, what areas are the best for construction work so on and so forth. Any help would be very very much appreciated :)
    Hi thomas,
    My name is Richard also from tippearary.Just wondering did ya move to toronto and if ya did any info on construction work and accomdation would be a big help and appreciated.Cheers

Advertisement