Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with isolating sound file

• 17-10-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hello.

I'm trying to learn Spanish at the moment and I've found it very useful to listen to the newsclips at this website to help me grasp the language as they have both the audio and the transcript. The problem with this particular website is that they only hold the soundbite in their archives for a week or two and then get rid of it. However, I think that it would be more useful to me if I was to build up a library of these soundbites so that I would have more time to study the grammar etc.

There is no function on the website itself to download to sound bit (which is all I'm looking for) and other websites such as www.vid2mp3.com don't work.

So how could I download thes soundfiles? I've tried using Windows Sound Recorder, but for some reason it always comes out very quiet, practically inaudible. Am I not using Sound Recorder correctly? Is there other free software that I could use? I want to have these files as mp3s or WMVs.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Adhamh

Sorry, I forgot to list the website I was talking about:

http://es.euronews.net/

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

When you play the video file in Internet Explorer it saves a copy of it to
    a temporary folder which you can access and copy it to a new folder so you have a permanent copy. These are FLV files. Do this:

Play the video
    Go to "Tools" - "Internet options" - "Settings" (in Browsing History)
    press the button that says "view files"

One of the flv files in here will be your video. Copy this to a new folder somewhere else. You can replay this with many video playback programs
    (not windows media player though)

here is one:
    http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/download_flv_player.php

If you still want to extract the audio this program claims to do it for you but I am guessing you will prefer to keep the video as well.

Others I have used are Wavesaur and Wavepad.

Thanks very much for the help.

The problem is however, that there apperas to be no FLV files in my browsing history, only videos that have been viewed using Windows Media Player. Considering that I'm not exactly computer literate, I fear that addressing this particular problem may get too technical, so do you know how to use Sound Recorder correctly? It's very straightfoward, the only problem is that every recording made with it is extremely quiet. How do I get it to increase the volume of what it has recorded?

Update:

Ok, so I've managed to resolve the issue of volume with Sound Recorder, but there are only two variables to adjust i.e Microphone and Microphone Boost. The Microphone is necessary for volume, but raises the static and white noise, and the Microphone Boost is necessary for clarity and volume, so my options are between loud and with too much static as to make it unlistenable and too quiet but good quality.

So I've managed to capture the sound bite, which was my main concern, but is there another programme that I could use so as to make it loud and good quality?

Thanks for the help.

Sound recorder is simply recording any sounds that are occurung in the vicinity of your computer. It is picking up the sound of the video you are playing from the your computer speakers via the built in microphone in your computer (I guess you are using a laptop). You could put the speakers nearer the microphone or use a plug in one as well but either way this is a really bad way of doing it. To get good quality you need to
    capture from the audio stream and you cannot do this with Sound Recorder.

The link I provided is software that will grab audio in mp3 format directly from the web page as you play the file. To play the file Internet explorer
    stores the digital data temporarily and the software can copy it from the temporary folder. This means there is no "recording" involved and background noise, feedback etc is avoided. ie: no loss of quality.

The attached file is a copy I have made from your site to illustrate.

You need to install "FLV Player with Freecorder".

You need to change the Freecorder settings to "monitor Internet Explorer's temporary directory and then any video you look at will be stored permanently for you. You can then convert it to mp3 if you wish.

If you decide to go this route let me know if you need help configuring it.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

A few Scrrenshots to illustrate the use of the software.

Readyhed

This is absolutely perfect- exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much, may fortune come your way.

Advertisement