Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg chimneys -- Love them, hate them, don't care?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 3:51pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's probably been a few threads on this before but... what to you think about one of Dublin's best known landmarks -- the Poolbeg power station chimneys?

They can be seen from Dun Laoghaire to Fingal and can sometimes be more easily spotted than the Spire...

1253756097_3a2c7acbe6.jpg4322282443_50335d6229.jpg
    3591037356_731b020a97_z.jpg
    4332586575_18ef2caf49_z.jpg

What do you think about the Poolbeg chimneys? 111 votes

Love them
    0% 0 votes
    Like them
    61% 68 votes
    Don't care / don't know / never noticed them
    27% 31 votes
    Dislike them
    8% 9 votes
    Hate them
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't remember if I mentioned it in the thread here but I quite like them. They really are part of the skyline at this stage and I'd be sad to see them go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Iconic IMHO, as much a part of the Dublin skyline as Howth hill and the Dublin mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Iconic, but they need a clean/paint IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Iconic, but they need a clean/paint IMO.

Tbh, i actually prefer them looking grotty. It adds character :p

But really, they are part of the Dublin skyline, and i love them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I like them too. If they go they'll be missed like the gasometer and the Guinness boats.

SuperStock_1812-9584.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I love them. They're the only recognisable landmark on the Dublin skyline and are part of Dublins character imo.

Also,my Da' worked there for most of his life so i always called them Daddies Chimneys.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Something doesn't have to be beautiful to be iconic. I love the way they suddenly poke up over the skyline from so many parts of the city and you can even see them from the hills. That something is slightly down at heel, higgledy piggledy but still striking is such a Dublin thing.

Hasn't enough of the city of our youth been torn down already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Stockholm Syndrome is at play for those that like them. They are grotesque to look at and there is nothing attractive about smoke billowing out of them. There is nothing inspiring or impressive about them either like there would be if there were, for example, a few skyscrapers there. If people don't like high-rise then a landmark could be built instead like the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Meh....

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

They are grotesque to look at and there is nothing attractive about smoke billowing out of them.

Smoke hasn't billowed out of them for quite a while so get your facts straight.

I love them, I love that you can see them from nearly anywhere in Dublin. I love the blinking lights at the top of them at night. Having worked down right beside them and been in the plant it'd be a shame if they were dismantled, they're a part of Dublin's history and skyline.

Mostly I find people that dislike them to be snobby tosspots from Clontarf/Howth/Sandymount that reckon if they weren't there it might add a few quid to their house prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I like them

But they badly need a paint job, brilliant white and another colour would do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stockholm Syndrome is at play for those that like them.

What's that? An affliction where you labour under the delusion that you can speak for other people's tastes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would chain myself to them if they tried to take them down.

What sort of Dublin City mod would I be if I didn't?

bassey wrote: »

I didn't realise that they were no longer operational.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I love them. I live really near to Sandymount Strand so when I'm flying into Dublin airport as soon as I see them I can always locate my gaff with ease too :D I think they are a great landmark tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Love them. They are a part of our heritage and culture & should be left exactly as they are, except for the occasional lick of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I love them, I love that you can see them from nearly anywhere in Dublin. I love the blinking lights at the top of them at night. Having worked down right beside them and been in the plant it'd be a shame if they were dismantled, they're a part of Dublin's history and skyline.

Mostly I find people that dislike them to be snobby tosspots from Clontarf/Howth/Sandymount that reckon if they weren't there it might add a few quid to their house prices.
    I do not live in any of those areas (I am exposed to them more than most because of my location) so I am unsure whether u are attacking me or not. House prices? L.o.****ing.L. go back to the beginning of 2010 and that might be a valid argument. Nothing personal but u are all for them and u have first hand experience of working in/next to them. Take a step back and look at them from a Howth or Dun Laoghaire perspective.
    stovelid wrote: »
    What's that? An affliction where you labour under the delusion that you can speak for other people's tastes?
    Stockholm Syndrome. Pay some attention to it.
    Des wrote: »
    I would chain myself to them if they tried to take them down.

What sort of Dublin City mod would I be if I didn't?
    You might appease the non-working class, poverty-stricken people (they actually exist) who frequent this forum.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Love them. They are a part of our heritage and culture & should be left exactly as they are, except for the occasional lick of paint.
    Heritage and culture; I object to the 'culture' grounds on the basis that there is absolutely nothing awe-inspiring you can bring to the table to describe how any past Irishman interacted directly or indirectly with the chimneys.

Just because they are familiar does not justify their reputation of an iconic, landmark! I am surely not the only person in Dublin who feels some simpleton, working-class 'nostalgia' towards these pillars of bleakness?

TL;DR; Stockholm Syndrome *yawn* demolish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I like them but their time is long over and they need to be removed along with all the other redundant crap down that end of the south wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

sorry to ruin your highly accurate broad-sweeping statements but I'm from Clontarf and i love them, iconic part of our cities sky-line.

Take a step back and look at them from a Howth or Dun Laoghaire perspective.

I have done for more than thirty years and I like still them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Everyone ignore RandolphEsq's posts please, he has been banned from this forum, permanently, for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

bamboozle wrote: »
    sorry to ruin your highly accurate broad-sweeping statements but I'm from Clontarf and i love them, iconic part of our cities sky-line.

Read the first word in the part of my post you highlighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

there is nothing attractive about smoke billowing out of them.

Water vapour :rolleyes:

edit, oh, we've been trolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You might appease the non-working class, poverty-stricken people (they actually exist) who frequent this forum..
    Des wrote: »
    Everyone ignore RandolphEsq's posts please, he has been banned from this forum, permanently, for trolling.

Sounds as though he won't miss us, good call as usual Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

They remind me of my Dad.When he was ill in Blackrock Clinic he used to bring his visitors up to the top floor day centre to see the brilliant view of our skyline. It was only after he died that I realised you can see them from so many parts of the city,including Boharnabreena Cemetary where he is buried. I live in Drimnagh and when I pull into my driveway in the evening,if I look to my right across Brickfield Park I can see them twinkling in the night sky. Daft I know,but I like to think it's Dad looking out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like them, but they've done their job and they have no real re-use potential - if they have to go, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Love seeing them approaching Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Love them, my niece and nephew call them the magic chimneys.

It would be a real shame if anything was to happen to them. Live in killiney and they are great to look at from up the hill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Advertisement