Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniel Sores on upper lip

• 17-10-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

I have a 14 month old golden cocker spaniel. She has these small sores on her mouth, she has got them before and they healed on their own. There is another one starting on the other side of her mouth in exactly the same place. I've noticed that when she closes her mouth her bottom teeth touch the area sometimes so maybe thats causing it?? Anybody ever see this before??
    I've attached a pic,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Your best bet is to bring her to the vet as soon as you can to get a definitive diagnosis. It looks quite sore, the poor thing. Hope she gets sorted and gets well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

carleigh wrote: »
    Your best bet is to bring her to the vet as soon as you can to get a definitive diagnosis. It looks quite sore, the poor thing. Hope she gets sorted and gets well soon.[/QUO

Forgot to mention in my original post that it doesn't cause her any pain at all. Thanks for your good wishes though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi

does she have her head down on the ground sniffing constantly when you walk her? like following scents ? could be that her chin is rubbing against the ground ... mine will not stop sniffing on the walks so just thought it could be that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

It could be a bad case of acne. My black cocker started getting it at around the same age-and yes, dogs can get acne!! Keep it clean and get down to the vet, they will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

adolescence and puberty!

• Advertisement

Seems to be healing again. Never knew dogs could get acne. Thanks for the feedback. Just seems strange. Anyone else see this in their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Any chance she is having a run in with a hedgehog? We've had that here a couple of times, our garden is full of them rambling around at night...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

K.C wrote: »
    Seems to be healing again. Never knew dogs could get acne. Thanks for the feedback. Just seems strange. Anyone else see this in their dog.

I know, seems very odd! Its just around this time, your dog is basically a teeneager, and is having a rush of teenage hormones, which I'm sure you know yourself results in spots. Wash her face with cooled boiled water to keep it clean and help stop her spreading it by scratching, a couple of times a day.

I've seen in it loads of dogs, even a cat or two occaisionally, although they tend not to get acne due to the fact that they clean themselves so well.

SlimCi wrote: »
    Any chance she is having a run in with a hedgehog? We've had that here a couple of times, our garden is full of them rambling around at night...:D

Our garden is full of hedgehogs too but she never runs around late at night but being a cocker she spends most of her time in ditches so its possible.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Glad to hear it is clearing up, she is a beautiful girl. Like a previous post said, its no harm to keep the area clean. I get a antiseptic cream from the vet called Dermo Salve, it costs about €5, and its great for little cuts etc. I have a Golden Cocker aswell, and even though he is 13, I still have a job keeping him out of ditches and every puddle we come across!

• Advertisement

Hey everyone,

Just to let you know that the vet said its from her teeth when she bites down. Just in case you see it in your own dogs, thanks for the help.

Advertisement