Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress warranty

Options
  • 17-10-2011 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I bought a memory foam mattress at a cost of €1,700. Including the bed and lockers I spent €2,600 in total. A few months ago I started getting really bad nights sleep and noticed that my side of the mattress has basically collapsed. One side is firm, the other just sinks.

I went back to the shop and was told I had bought it 2 years 5 months ago and there was only a 2 year warranty. 1 year manufacturer and 1 year with the shop.

Does this seem right to anyone else? A €1,700 euro mattress and a warranty of only 2 years?

I told the shop I wanted it sorted and 3 times I've been told they contacted the manufacturer but heard nothing back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The manufacturer is of no concern to you. Your contract is with the shop, who had a duty to provide you with a product that would be expected to serve its function for a reasonable period of time.

The warranty is largely irrelevant, they have a legal obligation to you for as long as the product sold is expected to last (up to a maximum of six years).

I personally would expect a mattress to last at least five years. The usual remedies of repair, replace or refund apply here.
    Repair is probably a non-runner, how do you repair a mattress?

Replace or refund wouldn't mean that you're entitled to a brand new mattress or a refund of €1,700. You did get 2.5 years use out of it, so that would have to be taken into account. An appropriate remedy would be to refund the current value of the mattress (if it was working), or offer a comparable discount on a new mattress.

Check out http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Have you been rotating/flipping the mattress regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

wyndham wrote: »
    Have you been rotating/flipping the mattress regularly?

If this wasn't done then I think your mattress isn't going to last. The same with any type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can't flip the mattress. It's memory foam and the top is different than the bottom. You can't sleep on the under side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Realistically you should be expecting between 8-10 years out of a mattress and as said earlier, a minimum of 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've checked the manufacturer website. They offer a 1 year guarantee with a 9 year warranty.

I'll be getting back onto the shop today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Have you been using a waterproof mattress protector?
    Always use one with a memory foam mattress. After a couple of years of usage with no waterproof protector and sweating alot during sleep, the memory foam will start to break down.

Advertisement