Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Options based on College

• 17-10-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Okay so I'm looking to attend a University in America. I have already contacted the University on my Secondary School Subjects requirements and here are the guidelines the sent me:
    • Four years of English literature and composition Fine seeing i have to do it!
    • Three to four years of mathematics Fine seeing I have to do it! :p
    • Three to four years of history and social studies (geography, economics, civics etc.) Will JC subjects be enough for |Geogrpahy & History? Cant do any more Civics after CSPE
    • Three to four years of one foreign language (ancient or modern) Will Irish be enough or should I keep on French?
    • Three to four years of laboratory science Will JC Science do or will I do another Science?

N.B. Also I Love Business and I'd like to keep it on!

So here's the subjects I've done for the JC: Besides English, Irish, Maths
    • French
    • Business
    • Woodwork
    • TG
    • History
    • Geography
    • Science
    • CSPE
    • Religion

So my question is what subjects do ye guys think I should take for my Leaving?? :)

N.B. Wasn't sure if this would be the right place to post but if a MOD believes I'd get better answers elsewhere then I'm fine with moving :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

what do you want to do in college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

University in the US? Wow you must be loaded.
    I'd do Economics and Chemistry or Physics if I were you, always keep a third language, you may have totally changed your mind in 3 years and find yourself excluded from almost all Irish colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It all depends on what you want to do in college. Another thing, are you sure about the whole idea of going to University in the US? It's insanely expensive compared to here and that's not even taking in to account living expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NathanOR

No need to panic about money and stuff.... it aint an issue... :P Im looking to become a Social Studies teacher in High School and these are the subject guidelines for that course! :) And to be honest i'd prefer to do Biology if I was doing a science (its my favourite) !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You're going the whole way to America, spending hundreds of thousands on living/education/travelling there....to become a very poorly paid teacher in a failing system?

Horses for courses I guess :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That sounds like a very bad idea tbh...

Social Studies sounds a lot like our CSPE. Emigrating across the world to study for and become a secondary school teacher of any kind is ridiculous. Emigrating (And spending thousands in the process) to become a social studies teacher in a country you've never lived in just sounds like a very poorly thought out idea.

Advertisement