Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clashmore Community Broadband

Options
  • 17-10-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

It is my intention to setup a Wireless Community Broadband for Clashmore, Comparable to what is common place in towns with large towns across this country. It is my vision that this service will Owned by, Run by and its Use will be for the people of Clashmore and the surrounding areas.I have attached a map below of the intended area.

I am hoping to find a few enthusiastic people who will have jump in with me and try to provide this service for the area, If you share my vision or would like to help or know more please PM me or post below, I intend to have a public meeting in Clashmore in the coming weeks to discuss the possibility of this becoming a reality.

The purple area of the map is the proposed coverage area. I have another thread going on it here if anyone is interested.

17_10_2011_16_38_35.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Update:
    Clashmore Community Wireless Broadband
    A meeting is to be held at the Deices bar in Clashmore on Tuesday November 1st @ 08:30pm sharp with regards to setting up a Wireless Community Broadband for Clashmore and the surrounding areas.
    It is proposed that this service will Owned by, Run by and its Use will be for the people of Clashmore and the surrounding areas.
    We will need potential customers and volunteers to help setup, install and run the service.
    Any questions please contact us on email: clashmorebroadband@gmail.com
    Ruairi Roddy @ 087-7667183 or Killian Mc Grath on 087-6864726

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i will tell you what, you are lucky you are not trying to get this setup down around dunhill.

Just a little update,
    We are up and running in grange at the minute and are accepting customers.

A map of our current coverage area is here Although the maps shows it, we currently are not servicing south of the N25.

Also we have a website here http://www.wwcbb.net/

We do hope also in the near future to provide service from Piltown to Kilgabriel, click here for coverage map from Piltown to Kilgabriel.

Unfortunately we are only a volunteer group and do not have the time or the resources to provide service to any other areas for the foreseeable future so we are looking for like minded individuals that would be interested in setting up other groups in other areas so that we could join forces.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Can i ask what exactly you are trying to do i dont really understand it. I currently have eircom broadband in Piltown.

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Can i ask what exactly you are trying to do i dont really understand it. I currently have eircom broadband in Piltown.

Eircom broadband is only available in a few places in West Waterford, so the only alternatives we have after that is the Dongle or Satellite both of which are a pain in the arse.

So rather that waiting for an alternative we are setting out own scheme to beam the broadband around the community via radio links, the customer will have an antenna placed on their house and this will recieve the signal and convert it from radio wave to cable that can be then distributed around the house.

• Advertisement

We have a transmitter up in Killamaloo since Wednesday :D

Coverage map here

West Waterford Community BroadBand Newsletter

25 users now on our network: Wohooo!

This week we installed user number 25 to our community scheme.

Our accounts

Following this install, our total income per month - going forward into February - is €600 and total outgoings are around €410; after paying back most of the inital infrastructure costs, we are still €1,200 in deficit - but because of our current cashflow, hopefully we will be clear in five to six months and able to consider exciting long-term developments of the network.
    However, first things first: building redundancy into the system
    Since we started we have had about eight or nine outages, the majority being 20-30 mins: and the most memorable was six hours about three weeks ago.
    The reasons for the outages are varied:
    - power loss at our supplier in Ballymacoda
    - supplier emergency upgrade works on their own network
    - ESB works in Ballycurrane
    - router software crash
    - and a point-to-point link disassociating
    We've worked through each one of these (the Ballymacoda power situation should be sorted; our supplier has completed their own upgrades - which were in part to faciliate us; the ESB work is complete and software changes on routers and point-to-point links should help.)
    However, we're aware of how dependent people can be on the links, so we're currently negotiating another second smaller connection from another provider for fallback purposes, and hope to have this sorted by the end of the month. Going forward, we will introduce other measures to help with reliability.

Rolling out into Clashmore

We have had a few requests for service in Clashmore and now that we are up and running there is no reason why we cannot supply Clashmore with a feed also, The hard work is done at this stage and to get internet to Clashmore with A transmitter overlooking the village and the link to grange would cost about €400.00 to setup, the €100.00 install fee covers the cost of the equipment to be fitted onto the houses.
    We are looking for a few volunteers to setup and run the Clashmore end of things so if you know anyone that may be interested tell ‘em to give us a holler and we will try and help as much as we can. The idea is to get people from different town-lands to install and look after their own end of the network, by doing this we hope that no one group of people should be overburdened with the scheme.

Do you want to help?

There's always something to do for this thing; we're not too proud to ask for help. If you want to give a dig out with accounts, configuration or just installs, please let us know.
    Thank You!

Once again, thanks for your continued support and goodwill

The WWCBB team.
    www.wwcbb.net

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Fair play to ye and the work that ye are doing.

If ye need anyone for accounts/book keeping/ admin, give me a shout, I'd be happy to help out if needed.

Been a while but we have been busy.

At this current time we have 32 users on our network and we are steadily growing, we have 20 users on a 1Mbs connection 10 on 2Mbs and 2 users on 4Mbs so thats a total of 48Mbs in total of bandwidth sold, that gives us a contention ratio of 5:1 and with that contention we seem to have no problems with our 10Mbs backhaul supporting that many customers.

We have had a bit of downtime here and there along the way due to various issues so we have another small connection with another operator that we can fall back on should we have any down time, although our records show that we have 99.96% of uptime over the month of April it is a inconvenience for a lot of people when we do go down so it is for this reason that we have the backup, our stats are available @ http://www.wwcbb.net/?page_id=214 for anyone thats interested.

Without going into the whole money thing we hope to have all our initial investment paid back at the end of August and from there we will use the funds to further upgrade our infrastructure, UPS's Servers and the like and possible purchase more bandwidth, perhaps 15Mbs at that stage.

Over and out.
    Big Lar

Advertisement