Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guhring set to close

Options
  • 17-10-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Guhring set to close in Waterford city
    Updated: 15:06, Monday, 17 October 2011

38 people are to lose their jobs in Waterford with the proposed closure of Guhring in the city.

The company says that following a strategic review of the group's operations in Europe it is proposing the closure of its manufacturing plant in Waterford on a phased basis over the course of the next two years.

The company says that if the proposals proceed, the plant closure will regrettably result in the loss of up to 38 jobs. It is envisaged that redundancies will take effect in March 2012 and January 2013.

A company spokesperson has said it is hoped that some employees will be given alternative employment within the group.

Guhring in Waterford manufactures precision rotary cutting tools.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1017/jobs-business.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

when is it goin to end? The government are doin nothing to stop the spiralling unemployment in waterford

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

when is it goin to end? The government are doin nothing to stop the spiralling unemployment in waterford

you can thank the last FF/green shower for all of waterford employment woes.

Sad news this.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Lads, I havent posted here in ages, but have to today. This City is fvcked. IDA moving to Cork was a start. But the only minister that we had in years broke his back building the motorway to Dublin on his own, now we are stuck with 2 ministers in Howling and particularly Hogan who seem intent on leaving it continue.

Whats happening here is a disgrace, luckily I still have a job which is ok at the moment only due to the fact that we are busy in the other 5 counties of the south east and up in Dublin. We just dont realise how bad it is down here.

What the bloody hell are Coffey and Conway doing up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Lads, I havent posted here in ages, but have to today. This City is fvcked. IDA moving to Cork was a start. But the only minister that we had in years broke his back building the motorway to Dublin on his own, now we are stuck with 2 ministers in Howling and particularly Hogan who seem intent on leaving it continue.

Whats happening here is a disgrace, luckily I still have a job which is ok at the moment only due to the fact that we are busy in the other 5 counties of the south east and up in Dublin. We just dont realise how bad it is down here.

Nothing:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

Where will it end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Government doesn't create jobs.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Government doesn't create jobs.

It can step in where the likes of the VEC and IDA are involved. And the constant radio and tv news that there are more jobs on the way to Cork, Dublin and Galway need to be looked at.

If you look at it this way, if you work out an approximate ratio of jobs to population, the loss of just under 600 jobs in Waterford at Talk Talk works out as if over 12,000 lost their jobs in Dublin all on the same day. You can bet your hole the government would have stepped in then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

It can step in where the likes of the VEC and IDA are involved. And the constant radio and tv news that there are more jobs on the way to Cork, Dublin and Galway need to be looked at.

If you look at it this way, if you work out an approximate ratio of jobs to population, the loss of just under 600 jobs in Waterford at Talk Talk works out as if over 12,000 lost their jobs in Dublin all on the same day. You can bet your hole the government would have stepped in then

And why would the government not 'step in' and create jobs here or anywhere else for that matter?

If the govenrnent could create jobs, we wouldn't have an unemployment crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We're a long way away here in Cavan where unemployment is rife, but I thought I'd stick in two points...

While the Government dont directly create jobs they have the responsibility to create an environment where jobs can be created, nothing noticeable is bening done on this front...

The IDA are struggling to get jobs to Ireland at all, they can't negotiate jobs out side of the big three employment centres Dublin/Cork/Galway.. I heard a guy from IDA on the radio and he said they are lucky to get jobs into the country rather than dictating where they go, maybe stronger members are required there...

The way things are going there can be no recovery outside these three areas as no jobs will be left or created :mad:

bbam wrote: »
    We're a long way away here in Cavan where unemployment is rife, but I thought I'd stick in two points...

While the Government dont directly create jobs they have the responsibility to create an environment where jobs can be created, nothing noticeable is bening done on this front...

The IDA are struggling to get jobs to Ireland at all, they can't negotiate jobs out side of the big three employment centres Dublin/Cork/Galway.. I heard a guy from IDA on the radio and he said they are lucky to get jobs into the country rather than dictating where they go, maybe stronger members are required there...

The way things are going there can be no recovery outside these three areas as no jobs will be left or created :mad:

When I was growing up, Limerick was a Irelands third city, who promoted Galway? They get a bum deal too.

But this is a Waterford thread, and what is happening here is scandalous, the place is being treated like a backwater town unlike the gateway city that its supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

When I was growing up, Limerick was a Irelands third city, who promoted Galway? They get a bum deal too.

Limerick still is Ireland's third city. Its "metro" population is about 25,000 more than Galway's (even though its population in the city council area is smaller).

FFS, when I was growing up, Waterford was the fourth city and Galway was a shade smaller - but it still had an RTC and a university. It has been supported and promoted by government to the point where it's flying ahead now.

It just goes to show what a bit of political focus on supporting a place can achieve. We all know the things that need to happen in Waterford - we're blue in the face from saying it:
    - university
    - runway extension at the airport
    - proper local government (i.e. where Waterford city runs itself and a 10-mile hinterland)
    - proper treatment as a regional service centre (VEC, IDA regional HQ, etc.)

All these things are achievable. Government cannot create jobs, but they can focus on underpinning Waterford so that it can become attractive to employers.

Sorry for the people in Guhring.

fricatus wrote: »
    - but it still had an RTC and a university. It has been supported and promoted by government to the point where it's flying ahead now.

Which is one of the reasons I'd hate to see Michael D get up the Áras

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It's really starting to get out of hand now, the industrial estate is going to be a ghost town at this point.

Anyone know the total amount of jobs lost in Waterford over the last 2/3 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nypd wrote: »
    Anyone know the total amount of jobs lost in Waterford over the last 2/3 years ?

I dunno, but it's a useful exercise, so I started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The question I'd ask is are you all angry enough to do something about it, or just angry in a 'come on to boards.ie and say "Waterford is f*cked"' kind of way?

I'm serious, because if there is a group of motivated people, then there are things that can be done to highlight the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Will highlighting it create jobs? We need entrepreneurs who are willing to take a chance and create jobs. Multi-nationals will only create jobs where they can make profits and they do that by finding the cheapest market to open up in. That's not Ireland any more. We should be supporting local businesses and jobs. Don't ask me what those jobs should be cause I don't have a clue but there is someone out there who has the idea and just needs to be convinced to take a chance with it and in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

MacGyver wrote: »
    Will highlighting it create jobs? We need entrepreneurs who are willing to take a chance and create jobs. Multi-nationals will only create jobs where they can make profits and they do that by finding the cheapest market to open up in. That's not Ireland any more. We should be supporting local businesses and jobs. Don't ask me what those jobs should be cause I don't have a clue but there is someone out there who has the idea and just needs to be convinced to take a chance with it and in Waterford

I agree with you, but we also need to get a fair share of the FDI jobs coming into the country in Waterford too. FDI can help stimulate other activity.

And by the way, with the cheaper rents and labour, and with most markets being foreign markets (as opposed to domestic), setting up in Waterford makes sense. Good choice of employees out there in most sectors as well.

merlante wrote: »
    The question I'd ask is are you all angry enough to do something about it, or just angry in a 'come on to boards.ie and say "Waterford is f*cked"' kind of way?

I'm serious, because if there is a group of motivated people, then there are things that can be done to highlight the situation.

I'd love to do something about it but I am too busy trying to keep this place going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

enjoying the grub and the affluent salaries that bogeys voted them in for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

I passed this place earlier and there's construction work going on at the plant,wonder if someones going in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I passed this place earlier and there's construction work going on at the plant,wonder if someones going in there

Sun life who occupy front part of building are developing site and moving other office in ind estate into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Paudie is powdering his nose as we speak in case of a photo opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Yeah it's the whole of Sunlife that will end up being in that building, they hope to be in by Feb. companies currently looking at other building that they are in at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jeez, enough bad news merchants on here, you could have started a new thread to avoid the old headline. :eek:

Advertisement