Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying a tablet, under €300, advice please

• 17-10-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

All I want is something to read PDFs, a little bit of typing/note taking and some browsing. I'm just sick and tired of turning the laptop sideways to read journal articles.

So under €300, decent battery life, colour, wifi @ least and able to read PDFs...

Comments

constantg wrote: »
    All I want is something to read PDFs, a little bit of typing/note taking and some browsing. I'm just sick and tired of turning the laptop sideways to read journal articles.

So under €300, decent battery life, colour, wifi @ least and able to read PDFs...

I would wait for the Amazon fire tablet. Should be good for pdfs.
    If you can't wait the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is good for pdfs. It's a lot more than 300 though (more like 500). For 300 you could get a refurbished IPAD 1 which may be your best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kindle Fire is on preorder now. a 7" Iconia would be great too but gets rated poorly for sub par hour battery life (its powerful to compensate though). HTC flyer is another possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

glasso wrote: »
    It wouldn't actually. It'd be anything but fine as a matter of fact.

I have a HP Touchpad. That's a tablet with a fairly powerful 1.5GHz dual core SoC from Qualcomm and 1GB of RAM and it stutters a bit with large PDFs (500-1500 pages for example). A chinese bargain bin tablet with a generic 1GHz CPU and 256MB of RAM isn't going to be a suitable PDF reader. Not only that but these chinese tablets rarely last longer than two hours on a single charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

glasso wrote: »
    I would wait for the Amazon fire tablet. Should be good for pdfs.
    If you can't wait the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is good for pdfs. It's a lot more than 300 though (more like 500). For 300 you could get a refurbished IPAD 1 which may be your best option.

the fire is 7" i thought? How about the Advent Vega 10"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_Vega

• Advertisement

why does everyone and their granny have a tablet on the market?

I would seriously stick with a known vendor with a solid reputation as a computer OEM. Dixons hardly qualifies. That would be like if Best Buy came out with our own tablet *shudder*.

Acer,Motorola,Toshiba,ASUS,HTC,Samsung,Apple,Amazon,etc. - good known brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

I would rather wait for kindle fire, I think it worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My experience is only with phones/iPod but I have found that Stanza on my (1st gen, so slow!) iPod is a better PDF/eBook reader than anything I have yet found on Android. Android software suggestions appreciated.

I do prefer Android as a platform and getting stuff onto your phone or sharing it between multiple applications is a hell of a lot easier.

For your budget I would think the Amazon tablet would be the logical choice, it is after all designed primarily as an eBook reader.

I do also have a Sony eBook reader- great for novels/straight text (a lot easier on the eyes than a LCD/LED sceen) but crap for anything complicated or that involves flicking back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I would rather wait for kindle fire, I think it worth the money

when's it due out again?

I have high doubts that it's going to beat any of the other tablets. It will be interesting sure but I highly doubt it's performance. Even some of the nicer tablets for instance like the Galaxy and the Thrive or the lovely Transformer - none of them really has the same smooth performance as the iPad, which is one of the key reasons people gravitate to it. Flash or no flash. Even though technically they are supposed to be physically faster than the iPad2. Theres much to be said for software optimization.

Theres also the question of how friendly the interface will be.

• Advertisement

It is going to beat them in one particular area- price. Which is very relevant given the OP's budget. And given it is a Kindle, I would expect whatever the merits otherwise it will probably do eBook reading well.

In the general Android eBook reading front I have now tried Alkido again which seems quite nice, maybe as good as Stanza in the latest version and certainly easier to get books into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

What about the Han spree hannspad?

I would just add, I was in China recently and went shopping with a guy who was looking for a cheap tablet. The cheap no-name Android tablets we saw were horrible. Slow with appalling touch response. So be careful if you are looking at cheap Android tablets. He ended up buying a netbook instead; a good brand name netbook was cheaper than even the cheapest no-name tablet. As he wanted it mainly for email it made more sense. The prices of tablets will come down majorly over the next couple of years; they are way overpriced at the moment for what they are. The Kindle Fire is the start of this.

Advertisement