Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating an internal brick wall. Help?

• 17-10-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks!

I have a sun room connected to the back of my house, and I want to treat the bare brick interior. Ive found that no matter how clean we keep the room, its a playground for spiders. I was told in Woodies to use Polybond Universal, but this stuff is white. I want to keep the natural brick look, and not have to paint it a colour.

Im new to this kind of stuff and dont want to ruin the brickwork.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

When mixed with water it does appear white but when applied to the brick work it will be transparent. Be sure to brush in any large white drops that appear. Probably will require several coats – apply, leave to dry and apply again. The feel of the brick will also be different once applied - it will feel like it has a plastic coating.

Maybe best bet to do a test on a spare brick laying around or on the wall in a not so noticeable area – u know what I mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Andyfly55 wrote: »
    Hi folks!

I have a sun room connected to the back of my house, and I want to treat the bare brick interior. Ive found that no matter how clean we keep the room, its a playground for spiders. I was told in Woodies to use Polybond Universal, but this stuff is white. I want to keep the natural brick look, and not have to paint it a colour.

Im new to this kind of stuff and dont want to ruin the brickwork.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Where do u think the spiders are coming from and why do u think 'coating the wall' will help.

It the pointing poor or are the bricks porous/weathered cracked etc

I wouldn't use polybond as it will give a sh$t glazed look.

Address the source of the pets first

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Where do u think the spiders are coming from and why do u think 'coating the wall' will help.

It the pointing poor or are the bricks porous/weathered cracked etc

I wouldn't use polybond as it will give a sh$t glazed look.

Address the source of the pets first

Carlow52 is on to something there. What I have found with new builds is that there is often a gap between the brickwork and the window board. You may have to get down on your hands and knees to inspect. What I have found to fix these is to inject silicone (black) and mould using a wet finger -mix up some water and washing-up liquid. I use silicone as it is flexible - people tend to sit on low window boards.

If there are gaps in the pointing or broken bricks they will need to be fixed/replaced.

I agree with Carlow, the polybond will give the bricks a sh$t look and feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Andyfly55

Thanks for the help guys,
    I cant really see any gaps or cracks in the bricks at all. Or under the window boards.
    I did a test with the Polybond and it doesnt seem to have made any difference to the brick.
    I dont mind the wall having a plastic coat really. Its only 2ft from the ground and with my plans for the room, there wont be a massive amount of wall showing. (Ive attached a pic)
    As for the pointing, I wouldnt know what Im looking for.
    Im in no way a DIY veteran.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Brickwork is fine.
    Is there a space between the vertical white board and the brick for spiders to hide?

Is that a damp patch to right of candle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Andyfly55

There is a really tiny gap, a mm and a half at most, would it be best to use silicone to try and fill it?

Also, the darker brick is actually where I tested the Ploybond. (That will be covered with a couch.)

Looking at the photo a better solution would be builders caulk rather than silicone. Apply it with the same method as silicone (apply and mould with a wet finger, wet finger using a washing-up liquid and water mix) and when it dries it can be sand papered should you over do it.

Builders caulk can be bought in any hardware store. Just ask them how to apply it.

I take it is a cavity brick wall, has it being filled with insulation?

Advertisement