Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre owned games prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Spunge wrote: »
    How about i pirate it, then post the devs a letter with a fiver in it saying: "cheers".

Now thats better than 2nd hand buying.

Yes, it is. Not sure you are confused about that. I like how you sit there and think of numerous ways to NOT pay the people who make awesome games for you, which is a little saddening if I am correct in assuming gaming is a big hobby of yours.

Bonesy. wrote: »
    But I like how you say only a fiver, it's not, most second hand games ranges from 10-20 euro cheaper then buying it new.

Not for new games, they are only a fiver cheaper pre-owned for a long time, unless the game comes out and it aint up to scratch, like Rage. Thats what I hate the most, that people would be that petty over a fiver, not knowing or not caring what a difference they are making over a fiver. 20 quid, I can understand. Still hurts the developer, but there is more of a justifiable reason for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Oh well then I understand you, I never do anything like that, thats why EA are smart for putting the online code in only new bought copys of Fifa, like if they started doing that for CoD we'd all be ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

not this **** m8 again... all we need now is GIZMO to teach us of morality and how poor developers are.
    I'm sorry, what? Where did that even come from? :confused:

For the record, my issue has never been with second hand sales per say. Were it not for people selling their older games on the likes of adverts and eBay, there's a bunch of games on my shelf I'd never have been able to get my hands on years after they were released. My issue is with the way the larger retailers have twisted the second hand market enabling them to reap huge profits for themselves at the expensive of not only publishers/developers but consumers, due to their generally terrible trade in prices. One need only look at the financial reports of the likes of Gamestop to see the massive amounts of money they make off games so I don't see what the issue is there.

As for how poor developers are, I don't remember ever saying that. While it's true game developers are generally on less than other software engineering disciplines I would never describe them as being poor. What I would talk about happening is how volatile the industry is and how things like piracy and second hand can affect the studios within it. While I doubt they will ever make or break a studio, when it comes down to today's AAA titles where nearly every sale counts for some developers, I don't see why people who love games wouldn't want to ensure they support the industry for the sake of a couple of quid. Is that too much to ask for?

Finally, if your comment above is in relation to my post asking what price GAME were charging for second hand copies of RAGE then the answer is simple, I was interested in knowing it. I generally don't get into conversations with retail staff regarding second hand games because when I answer that I'd like a new copy of the game I'm buying, I dislike having to smile and deal with their puzzled query as to why I wouldn't like to "save a few quid". The last time this happened was with Borderlands when, after attempting to purchase it on the Monday after it was released, I was offered a secondhand copy for, if memory serves me correctly, around the £37.99 mark. This was about a fiver cheaper than a new copy and upon politely turning down the second hand copy and once again asking for a new one, I received a similar response to the above. So yea, after seeing the price offered for RAGE and expressing a response similar to that of your own post, I was interested in the OP's response.

If you want to discuss any of the points in relevant threads then I'd be happy to do so with you, as I have been in the past and have enjoyed the exchanges. But in the future, please check the needless sarcastic remarks at the door.

Advertisement