Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

England romped Wales 40-9.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Just back from the game, Henderson had another huge game, very physical, great athlete and oozes class, reminds me of Matfield. Farrell and Gilsenan were impressive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Henderson has everything you want in a lock, very impressed by him. Definitely looks like a future Irish international. More baby faced than baby eater though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Is Henderson ready for senior rugby yet? He might have the face of a 2 year old but if his stats are to be believed he's already as physically developed as POC. It would be good to see some young Irish forwards coming through at Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

boynesider wrote: »
    Is Henderson ready for senior rugby yet? He might have the face of a 2 year old but if his stats are to be believed he's already as physically developed as POC. It would be good to see some young Irish forwards coming through at Ulster.
    He should be ready to come through starting for the ravens and getting some time off the bench for the senior time next season. This season he only got a couple of caps for the ravens.

Muller, Tuohy, Stevenson, Barker, and McComb. There are five players ahead of him and he might struggle to breakthrough. I think he is already better than McComb and should be able to come through.

Problem is that there isn't senior international ahead of him creating space for him to get into the squad during the 6 nations which tends to be a major opportunity for Leinster/Munster to help them bring players through

Send him down to Leinster then. We'll make a player out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Send him down to Leinster then. We'll make a player out of him
    Just like we did with EOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

He has been injured so that's why he hasn't featured much for the Ravens. I'd say he'll start for them next year and get some game time for the senior side before taking over from Muller.

Italy game is now up on RTE player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Henderson was injured for the first half of the season, otherwise he'd have been playing for the Ravens and I imagine would have played in Leinster on Boxing Day/St Stephens Day.

I see both Henderson and Jackson (he's usually in it anyway) are in the Ulster squad for this weekend's game with Edinburgh, of course as we know anyone can get into an Ulster provisional squad but in fairness to McLaughlin he's never been afraid to pick a young player playing well at U20/Ravens or AIL level so Henderson might yet grab a bench spot.

Not sure if the Munster/Leinster/Connacht squads have been announced yet but it will be interesting to see if any of the others get in such as Leyden at Connacht, JJ at Munster and Gilsenan at Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Very scrappy game, even worse than the Welsh game I thought. The Italians were big as expected but also very poor in terms of skills.

The Italians spread out accross the field so there was no space at all for the Irish backs. The also slowed up every breakdown which deservedly got them 2 yellow cards. I thought Ireland should have used the mall more and their forwards should have carrid aa bit more.

No player stood out really. There were alot of knock ons.

The Irish scrum was dominant which is good, especially considering the Italians had a bigger pack.

Is the Dubarry park pitch smaller than usual?

profitius wrote: »
    Very scrappy game, even worse than the Welsh game I thought. The Italians were big as expected but also very poor in terms of skills.

The Italians spread out accross the field so there was no space at all for the Irish backs. The also slowed up every breakdown which deservedly got them 2 yellow cards. I thought Ireland should have used the mall more and their forwards should have carrid aa bit more.

No player stood out really. There were alot of knock ons.

The Irish scrum was dominant which is good, especially considering the Italians had a bigger pack.

Is the Dubarry park pitch smaller than usual?

Was at the game and the touchlines were as close as possible to the stands so I'd say no.

Thought Henderson was head and shoulders above all the other players.

Team for Scotland game

Ireland U-20 v Scotland U-20 (Dubarry Park, Athlone - Friday 9th March 2012, Kick-off 7.05pm)

15 - Shane Layden (Buccaneers - Connacht)
    14 - Conor Finn (Buccaneers - Connacht)
    13 - Chris Farrell (Dungannon - Ulster)
    12 - JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians - Munster)
    11. Sam Coghlan Murray (UCD - Leinster)
    10 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon - Ulster)(Capt)
    9 - Luke McGrath (UCD - Leinster)
    1 - Kyle McCall (QUB - Ulster)
    2 - James Rael (Garryowen - Munster)
    3 - Peter Reilly (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    4- Iain Henderson (Queens - Ulster)
    5 - Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers - Connacht)
    6 - Conor Gilsenan (UCD - Leinster)
    7 - Aaron Conneely (Corinthians - Connacht)
    8 - Jack Conan (Old Belvedere - Leinster)

Replacements
    16. Callum O'Connell (Galwegians - Connacht)
    17. Des Merrey (Clontarf - Leinster)
    18 - Jake Cawley (Old Belvedere - Leinster)
    19. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne - Leinster)
    20. Jordan Coghlan (UCD - Leinster)
    21. Kieron Marmion (Corinthians - Connacht)
    22 - Cathal Marsh (Dublin University - Leinster)
    23 - Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)

Games live on RTE 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Taken from IRFU website

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Scotland Under-20s, RBS Under-20 6 Nations Championship, Dubarry Park, Buccaneers RFC, Friday, March 9, kick-off 7.05pm):
    15 - Shane Layden (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    14 - Conor Finn (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    13 - Chris Farrell (Dungannon/Ulster)
    12 - JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    11 - Foster Horan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    10 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) (capt)
    9 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)
    1 - Kyle McCall (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    2 - James Rael (Garryowen/Munster)
    3 - Peter Reilly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    4 - Iain Henderson (Queen's University/Ulster)
    5 - Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    6 - Conor Gilsenan (UCD/Leinster)
    7 - Aaron Conneely (Corinthians/Connacht)
    8 - Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Replacements:
    16 - Callum O'Connell (Galwegians/Connacht)
    17 - Des Merrey (Clontarf/Leinster)
    18 - Jake Cawley (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    19 - Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    20 - Jordan Coghlan (UCD/Leinster)
    21 - Kieron Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)
    22 - Cathal Marsh (Dublin University/Leinster)
    23 - Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

One teamlist above has Sam Coghlan Murray on the left wing and the other has Foster Horan! Which is it!

Interesting to see James Rael get a start, I was talking to a Munster chap recently who rated him highly. Munster seem to produce hookers two a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

bilston wrote: »
    One teamlist above has Sam Coghlan Murray on the left wing and the other has Foster Horan! Which is it!
    The list with Foster Horan on wing is correct.

bilston wrote: »

Interesting to see James Rael get a start, I was talking to a Munster chap recently who rated him highly. Munster seem to produce hookers two a penny.

The original team announced had Coughlan-Murray starting on the wing, as you can see I just did a copy and paste job from the irish rugby website. It must have been a typo on their part as if you look up the team now there's no mention of Coughlan-Murray pulling out through injury. Its a pity that Coughlan Murray is injured because if there's one place this teams lacking on the wings.

Penalty from Scottish offside on the scottish 10 meter line straight in front of the posts and Jackson sends it wide

Layden try in the corner 5-0 with conversion to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Shane layden you beauty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Lovely try from the fb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That was a serious try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Good Try!

+ Great scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Playing some stuff. More like this tomorrow please :D

Jackson penalty 8-0 lead

Really strong scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

That was close.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

any streams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Jackson's kicking is so poor.

Hanrahan should be taking the kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I can't watch this, but there's a lot of talk about Jackson being the next big thing in Ulster, is it only his kicking that is bad? He didn't look great in the only match I saw of him.

• Advertisement

Jackson having his usual mare. I have nothing against the lad but he has been shocking for the u20's this year and I haven't a clue how he has so many senior appearances for Ulster. Especially considering that clearly superior players like Layden and Hanrahan haven't had a sniff of their provincial squads yet.

Cathal Marsh of Leinster and even young Stuart Olding of Ulster on the bench are fine outhalves and they would have to better than PJ has been so far.

Expecting much better in the 2nd half but we need to cut out the silly errors and start building a few phases.

Italy are beating Wales 17-13 at half time also. Good to see

14-0 now

What is going on with PJ?

Remember the Lulster game? He couldn't miss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice try from McGrath.

Lovely stuff fr McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Redsock

Jackson having his usual mare. I have nothing against the lad but he has been shocking for the u20's this year and I haven't a clue how he has so many senior appearances for Ulster. Especially considering that clearly superior players like Layden and Hanrahan haven't had a sniff of their provincial squads yet.

Cathal Marsh of Leinster and even young Stuart Olding of Ulster on the bench are fine outhalves and they would have to better than PJ has been so far.

Expecting much better in the 2nd half but we need to cut out the silly errors and start building a few phases.

He hasn't been shocking. His place kicking has been suspect again but his distribution, considering mcgrath's passing, has been very good. The performance is error strewn but thats what you get at this level. Jackson is, without question, the most promising 10 in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Redsock wrote: »
    He hasn't been shocking. His place kicking has been suspect again but his distribution, considering mcgrath's passing, has been very good. The performance is error strewn but thats what you get at this level. Jackson is, without question, the most promising 10 in ireland.

Madigan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Redsock wrote: »

I know he's a bit older than him, but Madigan looks a lot more promising than Jackson at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

26-0

McGrath MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Scots were no great shakes at all.

Is it just me or is the Scots passing really poor? It just seems really slow and laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Serious amount of arse licking towards the England u20s in this post match analysis of the Ireland/Scotland u20 game on RTE.

Apparently Ireland have very little chance next week despite winning four games from four and going into a grand slam decider.

aramush wrote: »
    Serious amount of arse licking towards the England u20s in this post match analysis of the Ireland/Scotland u20 game on RTE.

Apparently Ireland have very little chance next week despite winning four games from four and going into a grand slam decider.

Well, to be fair, England have absolutely destroyed everyone to date. Their results have been brilliant. Obviously we have a chance, I don't mind them being written off, I certainly won't expect too much and then I'll be pleasantly surprised when they win :cool:

• Advertisement

Jacksons distribution is very good and he mixes his game well, excellent at putting probing kicks in behind the defense, has an eye for a gap as well but got very little front foot ball tonight.

As for his appearances for Ulster, its not like he's let them down when he's played.http://youtu.be/hggyb1kbCt4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, England have absolutely destroyed everyone to date. Their results have been brilliant. Obviously we have a chance, I don't mind them being written off, I certainly won't expect too much and then I'll be pleasantly surprised when they win :cool:

We will see how good England are after tomorrow, their first real test, in fairness.

Wasn't a great performance, but I suppose the most important thing at this level is the individual prospects and I think there are a few potential internationals in the team. The players who stood out tonight have also been the ones standing out in the other 3 matches which is evidence of their quality.

The pick of the forwards are Henderson, Gilsenan and probably the little prop McCall, and I would expect the first two in particular to become outstanding players.

In the backs Layden, Hanrahan and McGrath look a cut above, and Jackson and Farrell have also shown their talents though not as consistently.

The rest of them look like very solid players and I'm sure a few will go on to be pros. Only one try conceded in 4 games is a testament to their hard work and courage so fair play to them.

It would be foolish to expect a win against England but who knows what could happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is match on TV next week?

shuffol wrote: »
    Jacksons distribution is very good and he mixes his game well, excellent at putting probing kicks in behind the defense, has an eye for a gap as well but got very little front foot ball tonight.

As for his appearances for Ulster, its not like he's let them down when he's played.http://youtu.be/hggyb1kbCt4

I'll admit that he has impressed me for Ulster but this is what makes his consistently average/poor performances for the u20's all the more inexplicable to me. Maybe it's a higher standard of rugby than we would think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement