Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gilsenan for me is the 'one to watch'. Think he's a serious backrower with some serious pace. Also never seen someone work so tirelessly at the breakdown. Like a honeybadger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

.ak wrote: »
    Gilsenan for me is the 'one to watch'. Think he's a serious backrower with some serious pace. Also never seen someone work so tirelessly at the breakdown. Like a honeybadger...
    It seems that 1992 was a vintage year, likely to be drinking well in the next few years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

.ak wrote: »

It's the more subtle parts of his game that have impressed me. We've developed back rowers with great engines and pace before but not too many who stand in midfield and throw spin passes off their left on set piece ball. His footwork into contact is very good and he has a very good brain. He reads the play superbly and has an innate ability to be where the ball is going. Interesting to see that he was captain as soon as Jackson went off on Friday. Definitely agree he's the one to watch. Hope he's brought through slowly. Already a mainstay of the A side. No panic. I'd give him another year of developing and conditioning before introducing him to the senior set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Ireland U-20 v England U-20 (Adams Park, High Wycombe - Friday 16th March 2012, Kick-off 8.05pm):
    15 - Shane Layden (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    14 - Conor Finn (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    13 - Chris Farrell (Dungannon/Ulster)
    12 - JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    11 - Foster Horan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    10 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) (capt)
    9 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster)
    1 - Des Merrey (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2 - Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
    3 - Kyle McCall (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    4 - Iain Henderson (Queen's University/Ulster)
    5 - Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    6 - Conor Gilsenan (UCD/Leinster)
    7 - Aaron Conneely (Corinthians/Connacht)
    8 - Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Replacements:
    16 - James Rael (Garryowen/Munster)
    17 - Peter Reilly (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    18 - Jake Cawley (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    19 - Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    20 - Jordan Coghlan (UCD/Leinster)
    21 - Kieron Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht)
    22 - Cathal Marsh (Dublin University/Leinster)
    23 - Stuart Olding (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/25894.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

McGrath, Gilsenan and Layden are the stand out players on that team. The three of them look a cut above everyone else (including Jackson and JJ Hanrahan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Haven't seen the U20s this year but it sounds like they're tearing it up.

What do the point differences look like?

What do the point differences look like?
    England +118
    Ireland +51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Why is Peter Reilly not playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

McGrath, Gilsenan and Layden are the stand out players on that team. The three of them look a cut above everyone else (including Jackson and JJ Hanrahan)

I disagree. I think Hanrahan and Henderson will also be top players. Hanrahan is a lovely passer of the ball, has good vision and a decent step aswell. Also a good kicker.

And Henderson bring POC-like intensity to the game, he looks like he could be top class.

Gilsenan and Layden also look brilliant, McGrath has a huge amount of talent but I think his game is more flawed than the others. Seems to throw a lot of shoddy passes, despite having excellent speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Iain Henderson?

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I disagree. I think Hanrahan and Henderson will also be top players. Hanrahan is a lovely passer of the ball, has good vision and a decent step aswell. Also a good kicker.

And Henderson bring POC-like intensity to the game, he looks like he could be top class.

Gilsenan and Layden also look brilliant, McGrath has a huge amount of talent but I think his game is more flawed than the others. Seems to throw a lot of shoddy passes, despite having excellent speed.

McGrath, the try scoring, MOTM from last week is flawed? It seems every time he plays he gets tries and MOTM awards.

Hanrahan and Henderson look good but not spectacular. Which is a shame because i've heard so much about Hanrahan and how hes going to be the next big thing. Henderson looks like a hard worker but he doesnt look top-class in my opinion. I'll reserve top class for the likes of McGrath, Layden and Gilsenan who were genuinely outstanding last week.

McGrath, the try scoring, MOTM from last week is flawed? It seems every time he plays he gets tries and MOTM awards.

Hanrahan and Henderson look good but not spectacular. Which is a shame because i've heard so much about Hanrahan and how hes going to be the next big thing. Henderson looks like a hard worker but he doesnt look top-class in my opinion. I'll reserve top class for the likes of McGrath, Layden and Gilsenan who were genuinely outstanding last week.

McGrath looks good, he has a good break and obvvious leadership qualities, but he's a scrum half and his pass still needs a fair bit of work. But he's still a year to go at this level and he looks the best 9 we've had at this level for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

The home games have been nice matches to be at. With inventiveness and pace :)

[QUOTE=dougieruggie;77594173]McGrath, the try scoring, MOTM from last week is flawed? It seems every time he plays he gets tries and MOTM awards.

Hanrahan and Henderson look good but not spectacular. Which is a shame because i've heard so much about Hanrahan and how hes going to be the next big thing. Henderson looks like a hard worker but he doesnt look top-class in my opinion. I'll reserve top class for the likes of McGrath, Layden and Gilsenan who were genuinely outstanding last week.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Both Henderson and Hanrahan have got man of the match awards too as far as I know, and it's not the be-all and end-all of being a good player. Neither is try-scoring. I mean Conan scored a try against Scotland too but doesn't mean he's better than Gilsenan. As a scrum-half, you have to give good delivery. It's no use it being fast if it's not in the right place. But it is a thing he can work on, it'll hopefully come with experience.

Hanrahan looks very promising to me, he was brilliant in the first 2 games in particular. And Henderson looks like a player who is ready for pro12 action, gets through a massive amount of work, brings immense aggression, excellent in the air and has probably put in the best consistent performances over the course of the tournament.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Exactly. Both Henderson and Hanrahan have got man of the match awards too as far as I know, and it's not the be-all and end-all of being a good player. Neither is try-scoring. I mean Conan scored a try against Scotland too but doesn't mean he's better than Gilsenan. As a scrum-half, you have to give good delivery. It's no use it being fast if it's not in the right place. But it is a thing he can work on, it'll hopefully come with experience.

Hanrahan looks very promising to me, he was brilliant in the first 2 games in particular. And Henderson looks like a player who is ready for pro12 action, gets through a massive amount of work, brings immense aggression, excellent in the air and has probably put in the best consistent performances over the course of the tournament.

You're entitled to your opinion and were only going around in circles but Layden, McGrath and Gilsenan have been the 3 stand out performers for me. I'll leave it there.

You're entitled to your opinion and were only going around in circles but Layden, McGrath and Gilsenan have been the 3 stand out performers for me. I'll leave it there.

That's fair enough, we can't all agree on everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Having watched all the games Hendersons been the star for me, oozes class in everything he does, very excited to see what he cando in the future.

Very interesting crop in general this year as there's a lot of players who's type you think that the provinces and the national side could do with. Mcgrath for his all round game and because there's not too many young scrumhalfs about, could Gilsenan be the answer to our openside conundrum? Hanrahan looks a natural 12 who'll definately be important for Munster in the future and Farrells size in the center is definately something we could do with, he's more than just a lump though, he can run and play a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kennedmc

Is the game on TV atall? I checked RTE and Sky Sports score centre and doesn't appear to be on at all.

kennedmc wrote: »
    Is the game on TV atall? I checked RTE and Sky Sports score centre and doesn't appear to be on at all.
    sky sports 2. coverage starts at 8 according to http://www.skysports.com/tv_guide

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kennedmc

ormond lad wrote: »
    sky sports 2. coverage starts at 8 according to http://www.skysports.com/tv_guide

Ok cheers

• Advertisement

England
    15. Anthony Watson (London Irish)
    14. Marland Yarde (London Irish)
    13. Will Addison (Sale Sharks)
    12. Ryan Mills (Gloucester Rugby)
    11. Charlie Walker (Harlequins)
    10. Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby)
    9. Dan Robson (Gloucester Rugby)
    1. Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
    2. Koree Britton (Gloucester Rugby)
    3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
    4. Tom Price (Leicester Tigers)
    5. Dom Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
    6. Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
    7. Chris Walker (Leeds Carnegie)
    8. Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
    Replacements
    16. Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
    17. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
    18. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
    19. George Merrick (Harlequins)
    20. David Sisi (London Irish)
    21. Ben Spencer (Saracens)
    22. Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
    23. Ben Ransom (Saracens)
    http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/20803.php

5th outhalf to start in as many games. Some of the only names i recognise are the sub scrum half who sarries were playing ahead of stringer and the 6 who i can remember from playing v ireland u18 2 years ago

England
    15. Anthony Watson (London Irish)
    14. Marland Yarde (London Irish)
    13. Will Addison (Sale Sharks)
    12. Ryan Mills (Gloucester Rugby)
    11. Charlie Walker (Harlequins)
    10. Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby)
    9. Dan Robson (Gloucester Rugby)
    1. Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
    2. Koree Britton (Gloucester Rugby)
    3. Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
    4. Tom Price (Leicester Tigers)
    5. Dom Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
    6. Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)
    7. Chris Walker (Leeds Carnegie)
    8. Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
    Replacements
    16. Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
    17. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
    18. Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
    19. George Merrick (Harlequins)
    20. David Sisi (London Irish)
    21. Ben Spencer (Saracens)
    22. Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
    23. Ben Ransom (Saracens)
    http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/20803.php

5th outhalf to start in as many games. Some of the only names i recognise are the sub scrum half who sarries were playing ahead of stringer and the 6 who i can remember from playing v ireland u18 2 years ago

I think Heathcote has played a bit for Bath. Ben Spencer you've already mentioned, I also remember Ben Ransom (also on the bench) from the last JWC, he's quite a tricky runner at FB. The two centres ring a bell with me, I'm not sure why, maybe I've just read about them on some MB or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Matt Kvesic is a good talent, seen him play for Worcester and he looks like a good groundhog. Not sure why he's playing 6 but he's experienced enough for someone of that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Why is Peter Reilly not playing?

He's on the bench with Des Merry getting the nod. Merry's a good player, he's played a bit of AIL this season for Clontarf. He started against cork con earlier this season against Archer, held his own for about 50 minutes until archers fitness/experience kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Were pretty lucky that George Ford will be playing for the Tigers this weekend I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Were pretty lucky that George Ford will be playing for the Tigers this weekend I suppose.

Oh thank god for that.

Hagz wrote: »

Oh thank god for that.
    He'll be elligible again though so we may not have seen the last of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He'll be elligible again though so we may not have seen the last of him.

As in next year?? Christ, how old is he?

Hagz wrote: »
    As in next year?? Christ, how old is he?
    He turns 19 tomorrow
    Scary he made his pro rugby debut before his 17th birthday

• Advertisement

Munster snap him up. Project NIQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I'm looking for ireland to box clever this evening and try to dictate where the game is played. We really don't want to get caught playing too much rugby in our own half. I'm looking for a top class kicking performance from Jackson and even making some use of Hanrahan at 12 to try to pin the English back.

As good as the performance against France was, we did tend to invite them on to us as the second half progressed and ended up defending for our lives deep inside our own 22. I hope we will have learnt from that experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'm surprised O'Reilly was dropped???
    Thought he had been doing v well at tight head. I hope the scrum doesn't fall apart because of it. It just seems a strange decision. You don't change your tight head before the last game unless he is carrying a niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

feeling pretty desperate right now. cant believe sky sports nicked up the rights.

Off to the match now.

CMON IRELAND

19543261 wrote: »
    feeling pretty desperate right now. cant believe sky sports nicked up the rights.
    Wales France just kicked off on S4C for anyone who has the channel if they cant watch the irish game

• Advertisement

Let the Luke McGrath show commence

The England points difference is insane.

C'mon lads!

Wow some try...

IReland getting cut apart here. Need to wake up

12-3 to England. We can't seem to get our tackles to stick.

• Advertisement

We're all over in the match thread

We're all over in the match thread

Lol oops

The 1/4s of the All Ireland 21s league were played last weekend and show how strong leinster are and the gap between leinster and the other provinces(notwithstanding connachts win in the interpros)
    Garryowen 7 St Marys College 43
    Old Crescent 0 Lansdowne 32
    Old Belvedere 12 UL Bohs 6
    UCD 69 Dolphin 0

And most sides were missing players due to irish 20s training

4 leinster semi finalists!

4 leinster semi finalists!
    Ive seen most munster sides and some of the leinster sides play. Better coaching in many cases and more players is giving leinster such a big advantage at this level its unbelievable. At least their will be some munster representation in the semis with a few munster players in the squads of the semi finalists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The 1/4s of the All Ireland 21s league were played last weekend and show how strong leinster are and the gap between leinster and the other provinces(notwithstanding connachts win in the interpros)
    Garryowen 7 St Marys College 43
    Old Crescent 0 Lansdowne 32
    Old Belvedere 12 UL Bohs 6
    UCD 69 Dolphin 0

And most sides were missing players due to irish 20s training

Lansdowne lost 25-10 to UCD on Saturday, so I have no idea where that piece of info came but it's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

its_phil wrote: »
    Lansdowne lost 25-10 to UCD on Saturday, so I have no idea where that piece of info came but it's wrong
    He posted the quarters from the weekend of 24th of march

UCD beat Landsowne 25-10 and Old Belvedere beat St Marys 19-15 in the semis on Saturday

Final is monday 9th of April

He posted the quarters from the weekend of 24th of march

UCD beat Landsowne 25-10 and Old Belvedere beat St Marys 19-15 in the semis on Saturday

Final is monday 9th of April
    UCD won the final 17-11. Have no further details

South african squad that we face in the world cup in june has been named here
    Presume it will be another month or so before we name our squad?

Irish 20s play a munster academy/development squad in musgrave park saturday week at 3pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement