Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

English and Welsh squads picked.
    8 of the welsh squad have pro 12 experience while im not sure how many english players have premiership experience. 8 of the english squad are in their 2nd year playing in the world cup though George Ford who is underage is not named. Guess this means he'll prob be in the full english squad
    english squad
    welsh squad

Presume the irish squad will be named after this weekends game in cork against the munster academy/development side?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 easyeas

ormond lad wrote: »
    English and Welsh squads picked.
    8 of the welsh squad have pro 12 experience while im not sure how many english players have premiership experience. 8 of the english squad are in their 2nd year playing in the world cup though George Ford who is underage is not named. Guess this means he'll prob be in the full english squad
    english squad
    welsh squad

Presume the irish squad will be named after this weekends game in cork against the munster academy/development side?

They have a match either on the day of the Heineken cup final or the day after it as well against a provincial select side? Could be picked after that game I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

George Ford not going is very interesting... Could Lancaster be snaffling him for the midweek games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

George Ford not going is very interesting... Could Lancaster be snaffling him for the midweek games?

George Ford looks a real talent to me, for all this talk of Farrell at 10 I reckon the future English midfield is 10) Ford, 12) Farrell, 13) Tuilagi and I have to say that's a midfield that could go places.

On a slightly related note I heard about 18 months ago that Leicester were trying very hard to steal Paddy Jackson from under Ulster's noses just after he finished school. I thought that was interesting given they already had Ford. Not sure what it says though!

Leinster were on the verge of signing Daniel Thomas out of school, despite having tons of back row prospects. I suppose its just a case of snapping up anyone with that level of talent, regardless of where they play.

Munster Development: Richie Mullane (Shannon); Paul O'Brien (Bruff), Finbar Aherne (UL Bohs), Corey Hircock (Garryowen), Gareth Quinn-McDonagh; Brian Haugh (Young Munster), Jonathan Holland (Cork Con); Alan Cotter (Young Munster), James Rael (Garryowen), John Ryan (Cork Con); Brian Hayes (Cork Con), Darren O’Shea (Dolphin); Dan Heffernan (Shannon), (Jamie Kind (Dolphin), Sean Rennison (UL Bohs). Replacements: Sean Henry – UL Bohs, Peter McCabe (UCC), Bryan Cagney (Cork Con), Dave O’Connell (UCC), Sean Glynn (UCC), Gerry Hurley (Cork Con), James McInerney (Garryowen), Darragh McNamara (UCC).
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10459.php
    The above team plays the 20s tomorrow in musgrave park at 3pm. Any sign of an irish team/squad listing?
    The irish team also will play a Leinster/Ulster selection before departing for the world cup

Munster Development: Richie Mullane (Shannon); Paul O'Brien (Bruff), Finbar Aherne (UL Bohs), Corey Hircock (Garryowen), Gareth Quinn-McDonagh; Brian Haugh (Young Munster), Jonathan Holland (Cork Con); Alan Cotter (Young Munster), James Rael (Garryowen), John Ryan (Cork Con); Brian Hayes (Cork Con), Darren O’Shea (Dolphin); Dan Heffernan (Shannon), (Jamie Kind (Dolphin), Sean Rennison (UL Bohs). Replacements: Sean Henry – UL Bohs, Peter McCabe (UCC), Bryan Cagney (Cork Con), Dave O’Connell (UCC), Sean Glynn (UCC), Gerry Hurley (Cork Con), James McInerney (Garryowen), Darragh McNamara (UCC).

The above team plays the 20s tomorrow in musgrave park at 3pm. Any sign of an irish team/squad listing?
    The irish team also will play a Leinster/Ulster selection before departing for the world cup

A lot of Irish 20s players missing to injury,exams and playing seniors so can't see them winning

easyeas wrote: »
    A lot of Irish 20s players missing to injury,exams and playing seniors so can't see them winning
    Do you know what kind of team theyll have? Isnt anywhere online afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd imagine we'll see a team like this
    1. Kyle McCall
    2. Niall Scannell
    3. Peter Reilly
    4. Tadgh Beirne
    5. Daniel Qualter
    6. Conor Gilsenan
    7. Aaron Conneely
    8. Jordan Coghlan
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Cathal Marsh
    11. Sam Coghlan Murray
    12. JJ Hanrahan
    13. Chris Farrell
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Shane Layden

Any of those lads injured??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10459.php

Was benching for the u-20s in the 6N behind Scannell who's also a Munster hooker, both look fairly useful, Rael plays a bit like Schalk Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Blackheath

How did the U-20 match against Munster go today???

Hagz wrote: »
    I'd imagine we'll see a team like this
    1. Kyle McCall
    2. Niall Scannell
    3. Peter Reilly
    4. Tadgh Beirne
    5. Daniel Qualter
    6. Conor Gilsenan
    7. Aaron Conneely
    8. Jordan Coghlan
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Cathal Marsh
    11. Sam Coghlan Murray
    12. JJ Hanrahan
    13. Chris Farrell
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Shane Layden

Any of those lads injured??

From what I've heard
    McCall out for world cup knee surgery
    Leyden out for world cup with broken leg
    Conneelly is injured in a freak accident holding a bag and might have to retire I heard
    Marsh is coming back from injury at the moment should be back for WC
    Sherlock coming back from injury
    could be wrong with all them now
    Was at game Ireland won 26-14

Team was
    1.Merrey
    2. Scannell
    3.Furlong
    4. O Connor
    5. Qualter
    6. Beirne
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Buckley
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan
    11. Coughlan Murray
    12. Farrell
    13. Horan
    14. Daly
    15. Nelson
    16. O connell
    17. Taylor
    18. Reilly
    19. Van der flier
    20. Roche
    21. Walsh
    22. Lydon

Also with ulster selling humphreys to London Irish I can't see paddy Jackson being released for world cup unless they sign a outhalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

From what I've heard
    Conneelly is injured in a freak accident holding a bag and might have to retire I heard

Team was
    1.Merrey
    2. Scannell
    3.Furlong
    4. O Connor
    5. Qualter
    6. Beirne
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Buckley
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan
    11. Coughlan Murray
    12. Farrell
    13. Horan
    14. Daly
    15. Nelson
    16. O connell
    17. Taylor
    18. Reilly
    19. Van der flier
    20. Roche
    21. Walsh
    22. Lydon

Also with ulster selling humphreys to London Irish I can't see paddy Jackson being released for world cup unless they sign a outhalf

Jayz that's sum injury list. Layden is a massive blow and if that's true about Conneely that's terrible. Can you tell me if it was Mark Roche and Marcus Walsh on the bench?? Also, what's the deal with Coghlan and Conan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Could you elabourate on that freak accident? Looked a good player in the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Jayz that's sum injury list. Layden is a massive blow and if that's true about Conneely that's terrible. Can you tell me if it was Mark Roche and Marcus Walsh on the bench?? Also, what's the deal with Coghlan and Conan?

Conan was playing for Old Belvo today in their relegation play off

• Advertisement

From what I've heard

Team was
    1.Merrey
    2. Scannell
    3.Furlong
    4. O Connor
    5. Qualter
    6. Beirne
    7. Gilsenan
    8. Buckley
    9. Marmion
    10. Hanrahan
    11. Coughlan Murray
    12. Farrell
    13. Horan
    14. Daly
    15. Nelson
    16. O connell
    17. Taylor
    18. Reilly
    19. Van der flier
    20. Roche
    21. Walsh
    22. Lydon

Yea Marcus Walsh and Mark Roche on the bench. Conan was playing for Old belvo in the there decider against Belfast harlequins and Jordan Coughlan is injured I think

I heard Conneely was holding a bag when training with seniors and something happened. All I know

Squad according to irb.com/jwc/
    Jake Cawley Old Belvedere Prop
    Tadhg Furlong Clontarf Prop
    Des Merry Clontarf Prop
    Peter Reilly Lansdowne Prop
    James Rael Garryowen Hooker
    Niall Scannell Dolphin Hooker

Tadhg Beirne Lansdowne Lock
    Iain Henderson Queen's University Belfast Lock
    Alan O'Connor University College Dublin Lock
    Shane Buckley Garryowen Flanker
    Jordon Coghlan University College Dublin Flanker
    Aaron Conneely Corinthians Flanker
    Conor Gilsenan Mullingar / University College Dublin Flanker
    Josh Van Der Flier University College Dublin Flanker
    Jack Conan Old Belvedere Number 8
    Kieran Marmion Corinthians Scrumhalf
    Luke McGrath University College Dublin Scrumhalf
    JJ Hanrahan University Limerick Bohemians Flyhalf
    Paddy Jackson Dungannon Flyhalf
    Cathal Marsh Trinity College, Dublin Flyhalf
    Chris Farrell Dungannon Centre
    Foster Horan Lansdowne Centre
    Sam Coghlan-Murray University College Dublin Wing
    Barry Daly University College Dublin Wing
    Shane Layden Buccaneers Fullback
    Peter Nelson Dungannon Fullback
    Mikey Sherlock Clontarf Fullback
    Stuart Olding Belfast Harlequins Utility Back

squad of 28.
    4 munster
    5 ulster
    16 leinster
    3 connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Didn't Connacht have a bigger representation in the U20s Six Nations or have they have hit by injuries?

it will be interesting to see how the backs line out.
    Presume itll be Mc grath at 9, Jackson at 10, JJ at 12, Farrell at 13
    Layden at 15 with Coghlan Murray and Horan on the wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Whats the story with Shane Buckley? Was he injured earlier this year or just dropped? He was a regular starter last year and thats before joining the Munster academy.
    Didn't Connacht have a bigger representation in the U20s Six Nations or have they have hit by injuries?

Qualter and Finn are not on that list. They could be injured ormaybe dropped.

Yeah,I think it'll be the same as the 6 nations. Ruddock doesn't make too many changes.

• Advertisement

Great to see Sherlock and Nelson back. As well as SCM. That back 3 has gone from a bit of a weakness to a strength. I think we could see Sherlock and SCM on the wings. I think Olding came on at 15 in Wycombe and gave one of the most impressive performances of the 6 Nations under a lot of pressure. That'll be a hell of a contest between Layden, Nelson and himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Great to see Sherlock and Nelson back. As well as SCM. That back 3 has gone from a bit of a weakness to a strength. I think we could see Sherlock and SCM on the wings. I think Olding came on at 15 in Wycombe and gave one of the most impressive performances of the 6 Nations under a lot of pressure. That'll be a hell of a contest between Layden, Nelson and himself.

Theres not alot of fullbacks in the country so its good to see talented players there. Nelson is highly rated in Ulster and Layden was one of Irelands best performers in the 6 nations.

The wingers in the 6 nations were the poorest set of wingers I've seen from an Irish U20 side for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Layden was the best player in the 6N for me, was like watching Medard (minus the sideburns) at times, only criticism I had was that he didn't hold the ball in two hands when running on a couple of occasions. Himself and Henderson really stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The defeat to England is still lingering in my mind. For all the talent we have when we put it up against a stronger, bigger pack we got bullied off the field. I doubt England will be the only well conditioned team in the competition... I hope there'll be a plan b in the works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Connacht have the smallest representation yet they won the grand slam in the u20's and were hugely impressive doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Connacht have the smallest representation yet they won the grand slam in the u20's and were hugely impressive doing so?

How many Connacht people are among the coaching staff??

It does seem a bit ridiculous.

Nelson might force his way in there somewhere. Leyden though had a cracking 6Ns and will rightfully go into the tournament as first choice FB but Nelson is a serious prospect and might get a wing spot. In the Leinster Ulster game at Christmas he left Luke Fitzgerald grasping at thin air at one stage with a terrific break. Great to see such options though.

Perhaps the most significant call with be at scrum half. Will it be McGrath or Marmion? You'd think it will be McGrath but Marmion has improved a lot in the last 12 months.

Last year Ruddock rotated the squad quite a bit throughout the tournament so everyone will get a decent shot. We're never going to win the tournament so IMO the crucial thing is to develop these guys and get them used to being in a professional environment for a month or so and give them more of an insight into the professional game.

Here's a question, has anyone ever played in a Heineken Cup final and a JWC in the same season before? Could Jackson be the first to do such a thing?

Qualter and finn dropped and rightly so. Both not good enough and Buckley wasn't picked for 6 nations but was very impressive in that game against Munster development side. Sherlock will start fullback IMO way better then Leyden or nelson just very unlucky with injuries. Just because Connacht won interpros doesn't guarantee there players a place to south africa

Winning the u20s in Ireland is a great achievment but due to the nature of the competition it doesn't really mean you have the best team.

I rate Qualter tbh and I'm surprised he's been dropped.

I rate Layden too. However I know Nelson is a great talent, as is Sherlock. Although I expect Sherlock will end up starting on the wing with Sam Murray.

Sherlock will start fullback IMO way better then Leyden or nelson just very unlucky with injuries.

Must be an unreal talent then, looking forward to seeing him in action.

• Advertisement

Qualter and finn dropped and rightly so. Both not good enough and Buckley wasn't picked for 6 nations but was very impressive in that game against Munster development side. Sherlock will start fullback IMO way better then Leyden or nelson just very unlucky with injuries. Just because Connacht won interpros doesn't guarantee there players a place to south africa

Way better???

That's brilliant news because Layden looked class. If he is that good, then Sherlock will start at 15, and Layden will probably move to the wing because you can't leave out someone of his quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

That can't be true. Why would they name him in the squad yesterday if he'd had a potential career ending injury?

Also why wouldnt people include Iain Henderson as a starting 2nd row? He was one of the best Irish players during the 6 nations. He played pretty well against Munster at the weekend too (albeit in the backrow)

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    That can't be true. Why would they name him in the squad yesterday if he'd had a potential career ending injury?

Also why wouldnt people include Iain Henderson as a starting 2nd row? He was one of the best Irish players during the 6 nations. He played pretty well against Munster at the weekend too (albeit in the backrow)

I think those teams were the ones predicted for the game against Munster Development. And Henderson wasn't playing because he was playing for the Ulster senior team.

RoundBox11 wrote: »

Supposedly it triggered some problem in his hips which his brother had to retire because of. Henderson will start 2nd row nobody said he wudnt? Got to remember with Sherlock tho if he plays in WC in will be his first game since October!?!?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Sherlock had a bad finger injury so was doing plenty of fitness and strength work in his time off however he has hardly played this season so it's a big ask to step up and play. However he was full back on this team last year so certainly has the class for it. Good for Ruddock to be having these type od selection quandries.

At Easyeas he played a few weeks back for Clontarf but not much this season. I guess being in that environment would help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

shaungil wrote: »
    Sherlock had a bad finger injury so was doing plenty of fitness and strength work in his time off however he has hardly played this season so it's a big ask to step up and play. However he was full back on this team last year so certainly has the class for it. Good for Ruddock to be having these type od selection quandries.

At Easyeas he played a few weeks back for Clontarf but not much this season. I guess being in that environment would help too.
    He wasn't U20s FB last year, back three for almost all games last year was, TOH, Gilroy, Conway in some combination

He wasn't U20s FB last year, back three for almost all games last year was, TOH, Gilroy, Conway in some combination

Wrong. Sherlock started at 15 in every 6 Nations game afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

sorry you're right he started 4 6 nations games, I was thinking more about the JRWC. Gilroy and Conway missed a lot of the U20 6 nations last year (Gilroy through Ulster and Conway through injury)

Was man the match in one of them as well? He didn't go world cup last year as he did something to his ankle.... He played there recently for clontarf and in his first game back from the finger injury injured his ankle

• Advertisement

sorry you're right he started 4 6 nations games, I was thinking more about the JRWC. Gilroy and Conway missed a lot of the U20 6 nations last year (Gilroy through Ulster and Conway through injury)

Sherlock was injured for the JWC though. He played ahead of TOH for the 6 Nations despite TOH being fit and available.

I don't know if he's better than Layden, but he certainly played 15 for the Ireland Under 20s last season. I think Nelson could be just as likely to take the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sherlock was injured for the JWC though. He played ahead of TOH for the 6 Nations despite TOH being fit and available..

I think that was for one game against Wales. If I was guessing O'Halloran was rested, because his hamstrings were so temperamental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

O Halloran was injured for most of last season and had very little training done in the run up to the 6 nations

He showed in the JWC and this season for Connacht what a classy young player he is

An u20 back 3 of TOH, Gilroy and Conway is and was pretty electric

Layden will be the 15 for the JWC, he, along with Henderson was the standout player in the 6 nations, and he scored 4/5 tries in the u20 interpros

Very surprised Qualter isnt there considering he was in the team ahead of Henderson last year, had a decent 6N as well. Less surprised to see Finn omitted, he looked very average throughout the 6N.

Does Buckley cover 2nd row?

shuffol wrote: »
    Does Buckley cover 2nd row?
    He does, def played there with munster 20s last september and has also played there with garryowen at times

An u20 back 3 of TOH, Gilroy and Conway is and was pretty electric

Yep it was very strong, it's a shame the Irish pack wasn't the strongest last year as the backs didn't get a lot of go forward ball IIRC.

It's ironic given he holds the record for the number of JWC tries that of the three forementioned back three players Andrew Conway has for one reason or another made the least progress. Hopefully he can fulfil his potential.

• Advertisement

shuffol wrote: »
    Very surprised Qualter isnt there considering he was in the team ahead of Henderson last year

Yeah but last year was last year, unlike the senior team it appears the U20 squads are picked on current form rather than performances from in some cases several years ago;)

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah but last year was last year, unlike the senior team it appears the U20 squads are picked on current form rather than performances from in some cases several years ago;)

Cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Sherlock was injured for the JWC though. He played ahead of TOH for the 6 Nations despite TOH being fit and available.

I don't know if he's better than Layden, but he certainly played 15 for the Ireland Under 20s last season. I think Nelson could be just as likely to take the spot.
    Sherlock simply wasn't picked for World Cup. He played in 6 Nations but TOH was injured for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Winning the u20s in Ireland is a great achievment but due to the nature of the competition it doesn't really mean you have the best team.

I rate Qualter tbh and I'm surprised he's been dropped.

I rate Layden too. However I know Nelson is a great talent, as is Sherlock. Although I expect Sherlock will end up starting on the wing with Sam Murray.

Not sure what you mean by that comment! Are you saying that if Leinster win the Heineken Cup they're not the best team???

Not sure what you mean by that comment! Are you saying that if Leinster win the Heineken Cup they're not the best team???

Yes. The best team does not always win the Heineken Cup.

But that is true for the interpros to a greater extent

• Advertisement
Advertisement